Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 05:29 AM   #2011
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
please tell me you found that info online somewhere, and you haven't actually put together a database of all your lenses and gone to the trouble of measuring and weighing each one

12-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #2012
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
Can't wait for a nice day around here to go out and shoot with it though. We've been having entirely too much rain lately.
I thought weather resistance was one of the features of the DA* lenses.
12-23-2011, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #2013
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My lba got so bad that I had to stop smoking in order to fund it.
12-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #2014
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
LBA -- it's not just fun, it's healthy!

12-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #2015
Veteran Member

My LBA came to a sudden stop til after the 1st of the year when I broke the bank buying the K-5. Next will be the 70-200mm 2.8 not sure if it will be the Sigma or the Tamaron.
12-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #2016

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
please tell me you found that info online somewhere, and you haven't actually put together a database of all your lenses and gone to the trouble of measuring and weighing each one
Not to worry — info gathered online — my LBA hasn't taken me to those levels of acquisition insanity… yet.
12-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #2017
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
What!?! You mean that YOU HAVEN"T??

I'd suggest that you include things like # of blades, filter thread size, and other basics. When you get a large enough collection going something like the Dewey Decimal system will help to so you can find each lens.

12-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #2018
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joakimfors Quote
Heavy? Compared to other similar telezooms it is almost anorectic.
That's insane! I guess I've been spoiled with the light primes I've been using. I remember holding a D300 with a fast zoom and grip and it was a bit heavier. I don't mind the weight myself. I prefer a kit that feels substantial and well made. A good strap will handle the weight well enough.
12-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #2019
Veteran Member

Well, my second go at a D-BG4 has arrived. So far so good. All the buttons appear to be working on it but I forgot to pack a 2nd battery today in my light kit so I can't try that aspect of it out just yet. Got it for $10 less than the one I had to return that was DOA so that's nice too. Several of them have come up on eBay in the past week and each has gone for about $10 less than the one before it. Really like how the K5 feels with it on there and appreciate that my whole hand fits on the grip now Guess I'll be taking more portrait orientation photos from now on too
12-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #2020
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Well, my second go at a D-BG4 has arrived. So far so good. All the buttons appear to be working on it but I forgot to pack a 2nd battery today in my light kit so I can't try that aspect of it out just yet. Got it for $10 less than the one I had to return that was DOA so that's nice too. Several of them have come up on eBay in the past week and each has gone for about $10 less than the one before it. Really like how the K5 feels with it on there and appreciate that my whole hand fits on the grip now Guess I'll be taking more portrait orientation photos from now on too
Congrats! I've never tried out one of the grips. I've been tempted to pick up a generic for my K20D though. I shoot portrait orientation a lot with both of my cameras.
12-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #2021
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Congrats! I've never tried out one of the grips. I've been tempted to pick up a generic for my K20D though. I shoot portrait orientation a lot with both of my cameras.
Thanks! I hear that the K20 grip is a LOT less expensive, even for the genuine Pentax model (there's one on eBay right now for $87), than the one for the K5/7 which retails in the US for $199. The generic for the K5 is around $50 but its not weather sealed from all reports and is hit or miss with utility based on which knockoff model you get. I decided to keep looking for a gently used grip and this one appears to fit the bill at right between the cost for a new one and a knockoff, so I'm pleased with it (as long as everything works).
12-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #2022
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks! I hear that the K20 grip is a LOT less expensive, even for the genuine Pentax model, than the one for the K5/7 which retails in the US for $199. The generic for the K5 is around $50 but its not weather sealed from all reports and is hit or miss with utility based on which knockoff model you get. I decided to keep looking for a gently used grip and this one appears to fit the bill at right between the cost for a new one and a knockoff, so I'm pleased with it (as long as everything works).
One of our forum members, who is a traitor to Nikon but who will remain nameless, was selling a K20 grip for a good price, I had hoped to steal it from him for a song, but someone actually paid him a reasonable price for it. The one I was looking at had some decent reviews on Amazon, I thought it might be worth $25.
12-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #2023
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
One of our forum members, who is a traitor to Nikon but who will remain nameless, was selling a K20 grip for a good price, I had hoped to steal it from him for a song, but someone actually paid him a reasonable price for it. The one I was looking at had some decent reviews on Amazon, I thought it might be worth $25.
I see some on eBay in the $30 range. I just kept looking and suddenly in the past 2 weeks or so 4 have come up for the K5. I got a dud, kept going, and this one looks ok. Perhaps patience is the way to go.......
12-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #2024
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Heh. Me, too. I'm about to go get my once-a-year bottle of Dry Sack, though.
12-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #2025
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
LBA -- it's not just fun, it's healthy!
So is my lens-pricing rule:
If it costs less than a burger or sandwich, buy it.
If it costs more than a fancy supreme pizza, think hard about it.
If it costs more than a good dinner out with your partner, ask here!
Buying lenses instead of burgers is a great weigh-control program.

QuoteOriginally posted by joakimfors Quote
Not to worry — info gathered online — my LBA hasn't taken me to those levels of acquisition insanity… yet.
Me neither. I just weight them. Naked. The lenses, I mean.
If I measured them, I'd have to add more spreadsheet columns.
Then the spreadsheet would extend past my screen. I won't go there.
Whew!

QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
That's insane! I guess I've been spoiled with the light primes I've been using.
I thought my Lil'Bigma 170-500 was heavy at 1270g.
Then I got the Rubinar Makpo 1000/10 mirror at 1760g.
Hopping hernias, Batman, this stuff is HEAVY!