Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #4636
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Picked up a bargain on fleebay. A smc Pentax DA* 50-135mm f2.8 ED [IF] SDM for $730 (they retail price in Australia is $1349 from Pentax). Glass is clean all the way through, no dust. Looks like it has never been used, just no box or paperwork.

06-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #4637
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
Picked up a bargain on fleebay. A smc Pentax DA* 50-135mm f2.8 ED [IF] SDM for $730 (they retail price in Australia is $1349 from Pentax). Glass is clean all the way through, no dust. Looks like it has never been used, just no box or paperwork.
Hope its a great purchase. Always good to find a bargain.
06-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #4638
Veteran Member

Currently awaiting my latest ebay gamble, This one wasn't listed correctly so it didn't really get the bids it should have(If it ends up being a k mount lens) but the condition also couldn't be guaranteed so here's to hoping it works out in my favor! It was one of those that I wanted to post here and ask about but didn't because I didn't want to alert people to the lens.

Last edited by littledrawe; 06-12-2013 at 11:28 AM.
06-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #4639
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Currently awaiting my latest ebay gamble, This one wasn't listed correctly so it didn't really get the bids it should have but the condition also couldn't be guaranteed so here's to hoping it works out in my favor!
You're just going to tease us? What is it?

06-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #4640
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Yes, no teasing, please ... J
06-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #4641
Veteran Member

I don't really want anybody to tell me I'm wrong about it either so I have to wait for it to show up. I'll post about it either way when it shows up.
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Yes, no teasing, please ... J
06-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #4642
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Bought a diffuser hood for my AF540 flash. $2.80 delivered from China. Fits perfectly and seems to work nearly as well as the ones I recall from back in the day that were much more expensive. Looks precisely like the one I was about to buy for $15+..
MIght be one like I ended up with from some order or other, really flattens out the light from my little Metz, maybe excessively for some purposes, but it's so small I generally just leave it on there when I'm carrying a flash, and it definitely knocks down most of the effects I don't like about flash photography to begin with. (Normally I like to use as little flash in the mix as possible, with this thing the light tends to look really flat rather than harsh and artificial, but it suits well enough. (It might also knock your range and power down a good bit, compared to a nicer one, but this isn't often an issue for me. )

06-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #4643
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the first time in my life (as a pentaxian, anyway) I found one of those truly great deals. I just picked up this for 130€ (~$175) in total:

- Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye in K-Mount
- Tokina 17mm f/3.5 in K-Mount
- Soligor 17mm f/4 in Minolta SR-Mount
- Kiron 24mm f/2 in K-Mount
- Helios 40-2 85mm f/1.5 with M42 screw-mount

All in perfect condition in their original lens cases.

And the only reason there isn't much more on that list is that I didn't have more money on me (and no ATM in sight)...
06-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #4644
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
[pixel peeping time] Wow, super clean picture for 3200 iso, specially with this 1/2.3" sensor
I cheated a little and converted it to black and white in Photoshop
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The little 01 is a great lens IMHO. Nice photo I just can't believe its at 3200- wow. Where did you get the monopod?
Thanks, no noise reduction either (other than the preset values in ACR).

The monopod came from good old ebay...a private seller. I found an Amazon invoice in the bottom of the box today, and he paid $219 for it 2 years ago (MSRP is $270).
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Yes, it works perfectly with my K-5 and a lovely Pentax-A 50mm/1.7 on the front. Auto-aperture and all metering modes, etc.

BTW, enjoy your Gitzo gear! They make bombproof legs.
Hook it up to like a 200-300mm lens...that should be a nice "long" macro setup. And way cheaper than the 200mm Pentax star macros

I love the Gitzo G Lock legs...it's so nice for the 'pod to work instead of fighting with it.
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I don't really want anybody to tell me I'm wrong about it either so I have to wait for it to show up. I'll post about it either way when it shows up.
You've already purchased it, what's the harm? [peer pressure time]

My newest has arrived finally. 9.8/10 condition with full packaging, just like the monopod. Also less than half price of a new one. I hate the Gitzo QR system and this one is non-swappable without some custom parts/drilling, but it's the only medium-sized head with the tension lock 180 degrees opposite the portrait notch I could find. 100g lighter than the G1278M that came with my tripod, lower center of gravity than that one or the Feisol CB-40D, 40-some-mm ball instead of less than 30mm. Also hate the fine tension screw and the QR tension screw--they're sharp. Good thing the large tension knob has enough swing with the fine knob set at its loosest.

Did I just write all that?
06-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #4645
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Did I just write all that?
Yes, you did. But it's quite ok, this is General Talk after all...
06-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #4646
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
For the first time in my life (as a pentaxian, anyway) I found one of those truly great deals. I just picked up this for 130€ (~$175) in total:

- Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye in K-Mount
- Tokina 17mm f/3.5 in K-Mount
- Soligor 17mm f/4 in Minolta SR-Mount
- Kiron 24mm f/2 in K-Mount
- Helios 40-2 85mm f/1.5 with M42 screw-mount

All in perfect condition in their original lens cases.

And the only reason there isn't much more on that list is that I didn't have more money on me (and no ATM in sight)...
I just missed this post...wow! The 16mm is worth that much by itself, not even considering how much the Helios-40 sells for (whether people find the image quality interesting or terrible, it's an expensive lens). That 24/2 should also be fun. Wide angle fast aperture lenses are great.
Yes, you did. But it's quite ok, this is General Talk after all...
Sometimes it feels like too much talk, not enough use of the gear Speaking for myself, that is. And it just started raining again...
06-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #4647
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
(...) not even considering how much the Helios-40 sells for (whether people find the image quality interesting or terrible, it's an expensive lens).
I can't say much about the IQ yet but just looking through the viewfinder of my Super A, it flares heavily when in the direction of the Sun (or lamp in this case). One thing I'm already noticing is the effect of the 10-blade star-shaped aperture diaphragm, it's nice and round at large apertures and when stopped down fast ~f/4 it turns the Bokeh balls into star shapes instead of ugly polygons.

QuoteQuote:
That 24/2 should also be fun. Wide angle fast aperture lenses are great.
I prefer 28mm or <20mm, when I shoot wide angle on both FF and APS-C but I shouldn't complain, should I?
Now that the wide end is covered I can finally get rid of my 18-55...

QuoteQuote:
Sometimes it feels like too much talk, not enough use of the gear Speaking for myself, that is.
I know the feeling, here's what I do: Put your smallest lens on your smallest body and try to take it with you whenever possible.
I use a DA40 Limited and a Pentax Super A (and an extra roll of BW400Cn or two), it's quite hard not to find place for that slim kit.

QuoteQuote:
And it just started raining again...
As an inhabitant of the wet lowlands near the North Sea: I feel your pain.
06-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #4648
Veteran Member

I can't say much about the IQ yet but just looking through the viewfinder of my Super A, it flares heavily when in the direction of the Sun (or lamp in this case). One thing I'm already noticing is the effect of the 10-blade star-shaped aperture diaphragm, it's nice and round at large apertures and when stopped down fast ~f/4 it turns the Bokeh balls into star shapes instead of ugly polygons.
The super-old Russian lenses can create quite an interesting image if that is the goal...though some of their shortcomings can get tiresome. Issues like the flare, weight, poor construction quality, having to use an adapter, etc...

I prefer 28mm or <20mm, when I shoot wide angle on both FF and APS-C but I shouldn't complain, should I?
Now that the wide end is covered I can finally get rid of my 18-55...
Nope, no complaining allowed now that you have a nice selection

I know the feeling, here's what I do: Put your smallest lens on your smallest body and try to take it with you whenever possible.
I use a DA40 Limited and a Pentax Super A (and an extra roll of BW400Cn or two), it's quite hard not to find place for that slim kit.
The problem is I have a 15 mile drive to and from work, and it's all highway. The "back way" is a 2 lane road with nowhere to pull off. Plus it's 10-11pm when I'm done.

As an inhabitant of the wet lowlands near the North Sea: I feel your pain.
Hab' Bremen eigentlich zweimal besuchen
06-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #4649

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I found this this afternoon in a Thrift Store. I don't think it was a steal - it was $14.99. What drew me to it was that it is the brand I started with, it has the lens it was sold with and it's case. I still have the one I started on a Praktica PLC 2 and it was bought used. I never had it's original lens or it's case. The MTL 3 is in wonderful condition and it hardly looks like it was used:

06-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #4650
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice catch Stevi - I think it was a steal.