SMC Pentax-M 75-150/4 lens from a forum member

Chris

08-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #5807
Veteran Member

You've been a busy fellow, Chris!
08-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #5808
Veteran Member

Sigma 28-80mm Macro

A Sigma 28-80mm Macro for $8.00........ and I LOVE IT! Sharp, great contrast and color saturation.

Dewman
SW Idaho
08-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #5809
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SanDisk Ultra memory cards, 5 of them, 8 GB's each for a mere $4 a pop. Walmart had a clearance on them and I got the last 5 they had, grin. Actually I just got two Transcend 16GB cards from my teacher with the P3 camera, so that plus what I had, I'm doing pretty good in terms of that. It amuses me to no end that I have like 100 GB worth of memory cards to use. I lived with a couple of 515MB cards for SEVEN YEARS and finally after that for two years all I had in addition to that was a 1GB card. Memory cards were so expensive I literally couldn't afford to shoot RAW. Now I can shoot in RAW all darned week if I like!

Eh, a couple of my old cards do need to be retired. I still have cards from like 2004 I think. They are a bit techy sometimes now. I've been holding onto them just in case I sold a camera or something. So I'd have something to leave in the camera for the new owner, but with these I think I'm going to retire the 1GB and 2GB cards and call it a day. I've got a couple of 4 GB cards I could sacrifice if I had to. I don't need them anymore. I've got too many 8GB and 16GB cards to care. I so love cheap memory...

One of these days I suppose I'll actually step up and get a couple of 32 GB cards too. But if you had told me all those years ago I'd be using 16GB cards all the time now I'd have probably laughed at the very idea. I never wanted to have any large cards. 2GB was about the biggest card I could imagine I'd ever want or use. Now I look at my 2GB cards and it's like "Pffft! Who cares?" I'm so spoiled compared to how things were when I all I had was an S7000 Fuji and 2/512 MB cards, and don't I take it totally for granted too, lol....

08-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #5810
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Memory is cheap now. I remember 1k bit chips at $1.75 each. That is $14million per GB!

And someone a year or two older than me will remember some astronomical price - in those days it was probably cheaper to fly Apollo 11. If I remember right, it had an on board computer with less than 200B of memory - more was too expensive and too heavy to carry around.

But we still look for cheap deals.
08-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #5811
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1956 5MB hard drive

Chris
08-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #5812
Forum Member

My latest purchase: Chinon CE-4s. Beautiful 35mm camera which uses the Pentax K-mount. It was my first camera purchase back in the early 80's. I have, like 6 of them. After a while the shutter mechanism start to stick because they need lubrication. I just do not know who would clean/lubricate them here in south Florida, so I just keep buying another used one. the picture is from the e-bay site. I have not received it yet.

Attached Images

08-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #5813
Veteran Member

I just got that white Olympus E-P3/17mm M43 combo after all. One popped up and it was a criminally low listing for the pair. $225 shipped? My CC is groaning but I could not say "no!" I grabbed it. FYI, the used body alone usually goes for that, and the lens for another $150. So basically I got the lens for free. Or the body for $75 if I sell the lens. I've also got a kit lens to sell so between the two I could actually have the white body for free by the time I am done...
08-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #5814
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert_1 Quote
My latest purchase: Chinon CE-4s. Beautiful 35mm camera which uses the Pentax K-mount. It was my first camera purchase back in the early 80's. I have, like 6 of them. After a while the shutter mechanism start to stick because they need lubrication. I just do not know who would clean/lubricate them here in south Florida, so I just keep buying another used one. the picture is from the e-bay site. I have not received it yet.
Nice! You might shoot Eric an email to see if he can do a CLA on your Chinon. He's the best when it comes to Pentax SLR repairs (not sure about Chinon). Home
08-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #5815
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice! You might shoot Eric an email to see if he can do a CLA on your Chinon. He's the best when it comes to Pentax SLR repairs (not sure about Chinon). Home
@ Paulh: Thanks for the info.
08-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #5816
Veteran Member

While we're on Chinons, I picked up a LN mechanical CM-4 awhile back which I immediately took to for its compact size, spare classic styling in gloriously unpretentious, ultra-lightweight black plastic, Nikon FE-like rewind smoothness, and quiet, low shock shutter. Plus the large, bright, totally unobstructed view on a featureless black background. A camera for artists, I might suggest. However, after 25 or so clicks sitting on my bed -- oops, the shutter release jammed! I haven't tinkered yet; so would anyone have some insight on my chances for a simple DIY fix/re-set of the shutter release linkage? This is definitely not a for-Eric job.
08-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #5817
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
While we're on Chinons, I picked up a LN mechanical CM-4 awhile back which I immediately took to for its compact size, spare classic styling in gloriously unpretentious, ultra-lightweight black plastic, Nikon FE-like rewind smoothness, and quiet, low shock shutter. Plus the large, bright, totally unobstructed view on a featureless black background. A camera for artists, I might suggest. However, after 25 or so clicks sitting on my bed -- oops, the shutter release jammed! I haven't tinkered yet; so would anyone have some insight on my chances for a simple DIY fix/re-set of the shutter release linkage? This is definitely not a for-Eric job.
@ Kayaker-J: If you see my post about the CE-4s. you'll see that I keep buying them since the shutter release get stuck. Finally I took one apart, and then another, and another. After all these years, these cameras have no lubrication at all. any lubrication is dry. Nonetheless, i tried to fix one...what I end-up doing was loosing a spring inside the camera, and then same thing happened with another one. now I have two of them missing that particular spring. I will follow advice and get a professional to clean and lubricate them. I also have a Chinon CM-4s. So far it is working.
I always carry one of these cameras with me on a daily bases to capture anything that interest me on my way to/from work. They are so unobtrusive, with a bright big viewfinder that makes it so easy to quickly grab anything on the fly while manually focusing.
08-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #5818
Veteran Member

@Robert_1... Interesting... but, ah well, not so encouraging regarding the mechanical details involved! I never actually got mine out into the field -- beyond the front yard, anyway -- but I have to agree wholeheartedly with you on the virtues you mention. By contrast, my 45-year-old Nikon F Photomic which I acquired about 19 months back has surely never been serviced (having barely been used), but it runs smooth and snappy in all respects after all those years. The most compact little FG-20 would be a similarly smooth and very companionable model among Nikons and is generally overlooked, for no good reason... and pancake 40, 45AI-P, 50E, 50AI-s, and 50AI-s (Japan special) 'walkaround' lenses are available for it from Cosina-Voigtlander and Nikon.

Thanks for the additional information.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 08-20-2014 at 04:16 AM.
08-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #5819
Veteran Member

Ever since I first set eyes on it I've been coveting this strap like crazy. It perfectly matches my ruby slippers bag, and my main bigger gear bag which is black and white striped just like this. Yes, I have a bit of a fashionable Oz inspired thing going on with my K-30 kit. As you will all see when I get done sewing all my bag inserts and lens bags. Hopefully I'll be done with all that by the time the strap gets here and I can amuse you all with pics of Ruby and all her classic Oz themed accoutrements. FYI, my little photography business has an Oz themed name so it's pretty appropriate. I think the kids I work with will just love it. My nieces totally do. They want me to make them a couple of "fun" bags when I am done with mine, grin.

"The Rocker" is one of the Capturing Couture straps. In this case I bought the longer version, which is usually about $49 shipped, so I could wear it cross body. But I didn't actually pay that. (It pays to look for coupons online before you buy!) With coupon, I just shaved it down to about $35 shipped, which is a bit less than what the shorter strap usually costs sans shipping. It's admittedly still a bit pricey for a camera strap but then again it's a quality 2" strap, and is exactly the type of strap I usually prefer. Capturing Couture straps are very cool looking, well made, and pretty darned comfy. I'm pretty impressed with them so far actually. All of my snake straps turned out to be just awesome. I will likely be buying any straps I need from them in the future.

I think this will suit Ruby better than the rose embroidered strap I got. I'm just not really digging that one. It's very pretty but it's really thin for a DSLR and not very comfortable with that kind of weight on it. I didn't realize that till I got it. I need a more supportive strap than that. It's fine for a point and shoot or something lightweight like that, but it's just not sturdy enough to hold the K-30 and it's definitely not long enough to go cross body like I like my strap to.

Yeah, yeah, there are a million decent cross body straps out there but mostly they all look the same. They're all black, nylon, and utterly boring. They do absolutely nothing for me. I'm a total fashionista type, shrug My stuff has to look good and also be very well made. I'm picky in the extreme about stuff like this. I don't do "fugly" if I can help it. I'm not sure what I'll end up using it on. I've got CC straps for all my M43 cameras now, but I'll have to re-purpose it somehow as I can't return it at this point.

This is "The Rocker" strap...

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0110/3932/products/the_rocker_2_camera_stra...g?v=1349905085

Last edited by magkelly; 08-19-2014 at 08:27 PM.
08-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #5820
Veteran Member

And the LBA strikes again... Four new puppies in the family. I just love the size difference between the 120-400 and the Toy Tele
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo