Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #5836
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two recent thrift store oddities ... and some more Minolta gear

1.3 MegaPixels, plus a 3.5 floppy included !!!

09-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #5837
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Clips, mini steel carabiners, and small steel rings with which to convert my Capturing Couture straps to quick release ones. I don't like nylon and plastic clip quick release systems or tripod jack clip set ups and I won't pay $15-30 a pop retail for someone's idea of a similar 2 camera set up when I can do it myself and outfit 6 camera straps for under $12 just by visiting Home Depot a couple of cameras in hand. I bought all the parts to do all my new straps so I can use them with any camera I want, when I want.

I also hit Micheal's and bought some Swarovsky Austrian lead flat back crystals and some other stick on decorative phone things to decorate my K-30 and my new Oly's with. Actually I've already done the K-30 and the caps to my WR lenses with the self adhesive stuff, grin. Don't worry I didn't totally bling Ruby out, just enough to have a little fun with it. She looks good, as you will see soon as I get her strap all fixed up and get her all photographed...

The Oly's on the other hand are getting the full on Bling treatment, or they will be one the one cheap skin I ordered arrives and I can use it as a template for what I actually want to do. I tried making a template myself but it proved beyond me. I just ended up wasting half of what material I had planned to put on there. I decided to order one, check to see if it fit, and then use it to make what I really want. I got real crystals though, in AB, Vitrol and Ruby. It will probably take me a week to get them all put on the two cameras but I think the end result will be worth it. I'm not using them all over, just as an accent thing. Crystals are too expensive to cover a whole camera with them, at least on my budget...
09-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #5838
Veteran Member

New brown leather nato strap bought from Clockwork Synergy.

09-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #5839
Veteran Member

You know, Mags, it's kind of nice that you're around to represent for people having fun with all the colorful stuff. I like things to look nice, too, but I'm a pretty dull bird about it.

09-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #5840
Veteran Member

A trio of Olympus Pen F lenses for my NEX-6: 20mm f/3.5, 25mm f/4, and 38mm f/1.8. Added a Sony SEL 20mm f/2.8 pancake, as well. Also bought all the fixins' to build myself a new desktop PC, as I'm currently working on an 8+ year old Dell XPS 410, which lags badly these days while photo editing. I'm good for a while.
09-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #5841
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
A trio of Olympus Pen F lenses for my NEX-6: 20mm f/3.5, 25mm f/4, and 38mm f/1.8. Added a Sony SEL 20mm f/2.8 pancake, as well. Also bought all the fixins' to build myself a new desktop PC, as I'm currently working on an 8+ year old Dell XPS 410, which lags badly these days while photo editing. I'm good for a while.
Do they cover the APS-C circle? I did not know that you could do this. How do they perform? It never occurred to me to to this, but now I see there's an adapter for M4/3 to NEX...

I also see you can't use any of the "focus by wire" lenses.
09-03-2014, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #5842
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
You know, Mags, it's kind of nice that you're around to represent for people having fun with all the colorful stuff. I like things to look nice, too, but I'm a pretty dull bird about it.
Thanks. Well, I work a lot with kids. It's a bit eccentric, but it makes perfect sense in that context. When I was in my teens and 20's I used to take care of kids p/t and I worked retail a lot too. I worked with kids every day in one way or the other. One of the things I noticed a lot was that a lot of kids responded to bright colors and some sparkle in a big way. A lady photographer who walks around in glitter design t-shirts, with a little bling on her camera is often a far less intimidating thing to them than some guy with his "serious" basic black kit. I don't care what other adults think really. I can dress down for them, but the kids? They make up so much of my business I almost have to cater to them. Besides, life is way too short not to have some fun doing what you love. If I wanted to live like and be seen as "serious" and "adult" all the time I'd still be running around a tourist pier managing boring little chain stores for a living. Been there, done that, and you know what? I'm far happier NOW being my oddball self and doing what I love, FINALLY, for a living.

09-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #5843
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Thanks. Well, I work a lot with kids. It's a bit eccentric, but it makes perfect sense in that context. When I was in my teens and 20's I used to take care of kids p/t and I worked retail a lot too. I worked with kids every day in one way or the other. One of the things I noticed a lot was that a lot of kids responded to bright colors and some sparkle in a big way. A lady photographer who walks around in glitter design t-shirts, with a little bling on her camera is often a far less intimidating thing to them than some guy with his "serious" basic black kit. I don't care what other adults think really. I can dress down for them, but the kids? They make up so much of my business I almost have to cater to them. Besides, life is way too short not to have some fun doing what you love. If I wanted to live like and be seen as "serious" and "adult" all the time I'd still be running around a tourist pier managing boring little chain stores for a living. Been there, done that, and you know what? I'm far happier NOW being my oddball self and doing what I love, FINALLY, for a living.
Heehee. Actually with kids, I always used to just act silly, usually don't want them *too* interested in the camera itself, (though a favorite kid lens for my old Canons (big ol 35-105) is pretty interesting to toddlers just cause the big front element looks so neat. The kids don't know the funny lady's doing a Columbo impression, but the parents usually do, and if the parents are laughing, the kids pick up on that.
09-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #5844
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Do they cover the APS-C circle? I did not know that you could do this. How do they perform? It never occurred to me to to this, but now I see there's an adapter for M4/3 to NEX...

I also see you can't use any of the "focus by wire" lenses.
Yep, the Pen F lenses do indeed cover the APS-C circle, as the original half-frame Pen F was a miniature rangefinder-ish camera with a short registration distance. The Pen F to E-mount adapter is quite thin, so a Nex with a Pen F lens is a small package. The lenses work great, particularly the 38 f/1.8, and prices for them on eBay are rather high, unless you happen to find a seller who isn't trying to hit a home run on each lens.

I've never had any focus by wire lenses, so can't address that.
09-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #5845
Pentaxian

Yep, the Pen F lenses do indeed cover the APS-C circle, as the original half-frame Pen F was a miniature rangefinder-ish camera with a short registration distance. The Pen F to E-mount adapter is quite thin, so a Nex with a Pen F lens is a small package. The lenses work great, particularly the 38 f/1.8, and prices for them on eBay are rather high, unless you happen to find a seller who isn't trying to hit a home run on each lens.

I've never had any focus by wire lenses, so can't address that.
Very interesting. Thanks!
09-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #5846
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'm far happier NOW being my oddball self and doing what I love, FINALLY, for a living.
I envy people like you. I took the "serious adult" route to making a living, and working for duty and obligation grows stale after a few decades.
09-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #5847
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I envy people like you. I took the "serious adult" route to making a living, and working for duty and obligation grows stale after a few decades.
At that point I decided to be thankful every morning that I'm given one more opportunity to enjoy fulfilling my duties and obligations.

The available alternative was, as they say, a non-starter.
09-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #5848

Discovered at one our local Goodwill locations. It's a display piece...
09-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #5849
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
At that point I decided to be thankful every morning that I'm given one more opportunity to enjoy fulfilling my duties and obligations.

The available alternative was, as they say, a non-starter.
Touché.
09-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #5850
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nananner Quote

Discovered at one our local Goodwill locations. It's a display piece...
Those little Sigmas are actually quite nice lenses, so you know. Actually used to sell quite a few when I worked in photo retail. (I remember the Canon FD version, which system I was shooting at the time, decided to make a fake 'New FD' mount which was just a breech mount with an extra lock button (Entailing extra fussiness in lens changing and more parts to go wrong) on it that had no reason to exist, so I didn't do one, myself, (I wanted a 24 anyway) but very good optics. For the price anyway.