Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #6361
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
A118 dashcam for my car

An upgrade from my older X8L 720p cam I had up there.
I think a dash cam is a great idea - great protection in the event of a problem on the road. I was involved in an accident some years back that wasn't my fault at all but took 3 months to prove it. Had I had a dashcam it would have been obvious at once.

I bought a cheap Chinese unit last summer which quit working after a couple weeks - plus the menu was just about impossible to navigate. I see the one you bought on Amazon and has good reviews - might just grab one.

Oh how I wish I knew about these when I was driving truck......

01-20-2015, 05:17 PM - 2 Likes   #6362
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I think a dash cam is a great idea - great protection in the event of a problem on the road. I was involved in an accident some years back that wasn't my fault at all but took 3 months to prove it. Had I had a dashcam it would have been obvious at once.

I bought a cheap Chinese unit last summer which quit working after a couple weeks - plus the menu was just about impossible to navigate. I see the one you bought on Amazon and has good reviews - might just grab one.

Oh how I wish I knew about these when I was driving truck......
The A118 is a pretty decent cam, full 1080p HD quality, optional GPS, it's discrete and most of it's guts can be hidden behind the dotted area of a windshield and under $100 you can't really go wrong. Youtuber "Techmoan" has a pretty comprehensive review of the camera on his youtube channel. I bought mine from foxoffer.com (they seem to be one of the main distributor of the product).

I started using dashcams on my car a few years ago when some punk decided to use my car's front bumper as skateboard rail in the parking lot at work. The cam prevented further vandalism to my car, but did capture 2 hit and runs in mall parking lots (in both cases I was able to file police reports with video evidence). In the end it's cheap insurance.

Pat
01-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #6363
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA* 16-50mm

I should get it from B&H Friday.

I am going on a long trip later this year. By getting this, I hope to leave my DA15, DA20-40, and Tamron 17-50/2.8 at home. I really, really like the Tamron 17-50, but in case of bad weather I was planning on bringing my DA20-40. Also the wide end of the DA*16-50 is only 1mm in FL and 5* longer than the DA15. I look at it as a 3 for 1 swap when traveling. My physical therapist looked at the contents of my travel bag and gave me strict instructions. I intend to follow his advice.

I don't know which zoom lens I'd likely use on my K3 when I get back. That Tamron is a great lens. This will be a dilemma. We will have to see how good this vaunted DA* lens is! The DA20-40 lives on my K10 IR. No dilemma there.

In addition the cost of the lens, now comes the money for the 77mm lens filters!
01-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #6364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A used silver DA 20-40 lens from B&H. Should arrive tomorrow. Will see if it can replace my da21 and da 40 limiteds.

01-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #6365
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
A used silver DA 20-40 lens from B&H. Should arrive tomorrow. Will see if it can replace my da21 and da 40 limiteds.
Wow, they've already got used 20-40s. Nice find.
01-20-2015, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #6366
Pentaxian

My newest acquisition for photography is a One Year Pass for all the State Parks in Texas!
01-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #6367
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
My newest acquisition for photography is a One Year Pass for all the State Parks in Texas!
Now that is about the best investment one can make!

01-21-2015, 06:44 AM   #6368
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Here in Sweden we don't really have anything like that, we are free to roam around in nature pretty much everywhere.

QuoteQuote:
In Sweden allemansrätten (lit. "the everyman's right") is a freedom granted by the Constitution of Sweden. Since 1994 the Instrument of Government says that notwithstanding the right to own property "everyone shall have access to nature in accordance with allemansrätten".[6] What this means is not further explicated on in the constitution, and only sparsely in other legislation.[7] In practice, allemansrätten is defined as actions that are not crimes, will not make a person liable to pay damages, nor can be prohibited by any authority.[8] As in other Nordic countries, the Swedish right to roam comes with an equal emphasis being placed upon the responsibility to look after the countryside; the maxim is "do not disturb, do not destroy".

Allemansrätten gives a person the right to access, walk, cycle, ride, ski, and camp on any land—with the exception of private gardens, the immediate vicinity of a dwelling house and land under cultivation. Restrictions apply for nature reserves and other protected areas. It also gives the right to pick wild flowers, mushrooms and berries (provided one knows they are not legally protected), but not to hunt in any way. Swimming in any lake and putting an unpowered boat on any water is permitted unless explicitly forbidden. Visiting beaches and walking by a shoreline is permitted, providing it is not a part of a garden or within the immediate vicinity of a residence (legally defined as the hemfridszon). The hemfridszon's size depends on conditions but can be as large as 70 metres from an ordinary dwelling house.[7] To better protect access to water and the right to walk along beaches, it is since 1975 generally not permitted to build a new house near (generally 100 m) from a beach and/or shoreline.[9]

Fishing remains essentially private—apart from on the biggest five lakes and the coast of the Baltic Sea, the Sound, Kattegat and Skagerrak. It is permitted to drive a car on a private road unless explicitly signposted otherwise. Small camp fires are generally permitted, but in some periods banned by local authorities due to wild fire risk. It is allowed to put up a tent on any uncultivated land for a night or two.[10] There has been some controversy on commercial use of the berry picking rights, when companies legally contract people to pick berries in the forests.

Exercise of the rights is overseen by the County Administrative Boards—which can, for example, force the removal of a fence if it obstructs access to areas that are important to the allemansrätt
Freedom to roam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
01-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #6369
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Here in Sweden we don't really have anything like that, we are free to roam around in nature pretty much everywhere.

Freedom to roam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Here, at least I know in Texas the boaters have more access to river beaches than say someone on foot. It's ok to be on the edges of the beaches but LOL, it's seriously frowned upon to cross over people's back yards to get to one. Usually it would mean crossing acres of cow pasture too and risking fire ants. (Those are terrible) it would be nice to be able to walk around a little more freely.
01-21-2015, 07:52 AM   #6370
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Film film film

135 :
10x Fuji C200 (2€ each, Yeaaaaah ! )
5x Ilford Delta 400

120 :
5x Fuji 400H ( i really like the rendering of this film when i see it, so why not give a try ? )
Fuji 400h all the way - too bad it is more expensive than the also very good Portra 400.
01-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #6371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Wow, they've already got used 20-40s. Nice find.
I was going to post a link to it in the PF Price Watch section....then decided to buy it for myself!
01-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #6372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
DA* 16-50mm

I should get it from B&H Friday.
You should also get DxO 10 for use with the 16-50. When I do any extensive work with my 16-50, I fix everything optical while drinking a beer and reading advertisements for the DA* 560.

There is a short set showing what an early version of DxO could do with the lens on my Flickr site. The new version has noise reduction that you won't believe. I saw one review that said it worked better than Ninja. The distortion correction functions mean, of course, that you need to frame a bit wide to allow for dropping out the corners.
01-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #6373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You should also get DxO 10 for use with the 16-50. When I do any extensive work with my 16-50, I fix everything optical while drinking a beer and reading advertisements for the DA* 560.

There is a short set showing what an early version of DxO could do with the lens on my Flickr site. The new version has noise reduction that you won't believe. I saw one review that said it worked better than Ninja. The distortion correction functions mean, of course, that you need to frame a bit wide to allow for dropping out the corners.
Thanks. I have DXO 10 already. I have not tried it yet. I been using PS and LR. I just need to figure out how to get to your Flickr page.
01-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #6374

M 100/2.8

Got it in the mail today, already love it!
01-21-2015, 02:17 PM - 4 Likes   #6375
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I picked up this beauty in a shop in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. I suspect it may be a early prototype of the impending Pentax FF. The Kobe Bryant connection is bound to generate a lot of attention.