Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #8071
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
Picked up a Minolta 5D. Which I'm currently have a blast with.

And a HP Model 5181 keyboard. It is a nice solid feeling keyboard. With the loud clicky keys I like.
And the ones my wife hates. I've been relegated to my office with the door closed to keep the kkkkkkkk down to a dull roar.

05-28-2016, 01:06 AM   #8072
Pentaxian

I received my M42 to EOS adaptor to be able to use my M42 lenses on the two Canon film cameras I've bought recently. I had to drill the hole for the locking pin a bit larger to make it stay on the camera though.

Now the problem is checking if I have any M42 lenses that the mirror will hit. I think I'll be OK as I don't have anything very wide or very fast, except my newly acquired Yashinon 50/1.4 which can't be stopped down on a non-M42 camera anyway. I suspect mostly it'll be used with the 55mm Takumars, I'm fairly sure they'll be OK.
05-28-2016, 01:23 AM   #8073
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I received my M42 to EOS adaptor to be able to use my M42 lenses on the two Canon film cameras I've bought recently. I had to drill the hole for the locking pin a bit larger to make it stay on the camera though.

Now the problem is checking if I have any M42 lenses that the mirror will hit. I think I'll be OK as I don't have anything very wide or very fast, except my newly acquired Yashinon 50/1.4 which can't be stopped down on a non-M42 camera anyway. I suspect mostly it'll be used with the 55mm Takumars, I'm fairly sure they'll be OK.
There is a m42 to canon that has an inner flange that pushed in the pin on m42 lenses. It allows the lens with no A/M switch to be used. I had one but traded it when I got rid of my canon system so I don't know who made it.
05-28-2016, 01:34 AM   #8074
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
There is a m42 to canon that has an inner flange that pushed in the pin on m42 lenses. It allows the lens with no A/M switch to be used. I had one but traded it when I got rid of my canon system so I don't know who made it.
Thanks, I might have a look though most of my M42s have the A/M switch. If the Yashinon is safe to use I might look into a flanged adaptor.

05-28-2016, 05:00 AM   #8075
rhe
Closed Account

macro conversion lens

Just picked up the 0.35x Macro Conversion Lens for my Ricoh GRii.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR II  Photo 
05-28-2016, 05:49 AM   #8076
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
except my newly acquired Yashinon 50/1.4 which can't be stopped down on a non-M42 camera
Is it possible to take the rear cover off the lens to show the pin completely?

A hack is to use a nylon tube over the shaft of the pin that then gets pushed down when the rear cover is placed back on which makes the lens a semi permanently manual aperture lens. The top few mms from the ink tube of a ball point pen worked for me and was reversible.
05-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #8077
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Is it possible to take the rear cover off the lens to show the pin completely?

A hack is to use a nylon tube over the shaft of the pin that then gets pushed down when the rear cover is placed back on which makes the lens a semi permanently manual aperture lens. The top few mms from the ink tube of a ball point pen worked for me and was reversible.
I can't see any way into the lens at all, either at the front or the back.

05-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #8078

Saw this on Ebay for $19.99 and my LBA Devil on my ear said buy it ..... so what choice did I have....should be in next week
Attached Images

06-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #8079
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
An exposure meter with digital readout that is...

Quantum Instruments Calcu-Light exposure meter (ambient):

I've always fancied the later XP model, but who needs to meter to -7 EV?
This is the original model, which goes down to -3EV with ISO 100 film.

Chris
You'll have lots of fun with this meter. I recently bought a new Sekonic L-398A Studio Master lll (quite a mouthful for a name ) and I've been using it quite a bit with both my K10D and K-5...with both camera bodies set on [B]M[B]anual.

I've been using separate, hand held light meters since 1968, but my original Sekonic is very old and my other Sekonic (an L-248) uses mercury batteries, can't get those anymore. I use AV, SV also, but I like the hand hold meters.
06-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #8080
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You'll have lots of fun with this meter.
Not this example - it was DOA! LED display is defective.

Remember this famous album cover?:

Seller already refunded payment and doesn't even want the damn thing back.
Does anyone need a Calcu-Light meter for parts, or a small paperweight?

It's big and heavy, like Gossen meters I have owned.
I guess I'll stick with my little Sekonics when I need a handheld...

Chris
06-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #8081
Pentaxian

Chris
Chris,

If your ever looking for a classic meter...that uses no batteries..I would recommend the L-398A Studio Master lll. So far, so good. I've used mine a fair bit since getting in April of this year.

Les

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=...INlBVoJ5cIgF1g
06-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #8082
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a forty year-old Sekonic selenium cell meter that still reads accurately,
the small CdS model that replaced it, and a little shoe-mount Vivitar CdS.

In my experience incident meters are slower to work with, and in my own tests
give no more accurate readings than an intelligently used reflected light meter.

Chris
06-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #8083
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the other hand, an incident meter is not fooled by the reflectivity of the target which requires one to use some "intelligent user input".
06-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #8084
Pentaxian

Two Pentax items coming soon, a white K-01 and a Kiron 28/2 manual lens. Manual lenses and focus peaking = and my previous K-01 was white too so it will be right at home. I even have a mount-free white 18-55mm that can be returned to service, once I find a volunteer lens.

On other fronts, an Oly ePL5 will arrive soon after. The Sony sweet-16 sensor really assisted micro4:3 image quality to my eye, tolerable to reasonably high ISO. I've tried the ePM2 (tiny, more menu dives) and the em5 (not quite my cup of kombucha) - so as Goldilocks says 'try the middle one' For compact shooting it's very handy, and last-gen micro4:3 bodies can be had for silly-cheap prices.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 06-01-2016 at 09:09 PM.
06-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #8085
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Chris
Can you open it? It seems plausible the fault might be a failed solder joint.