Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #9091
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
These late semi-auto and auto Contax SLR's are insanely inexpensive for what you get. This one came with box, papers, all the bits (strap, eyecup, manual, foam, plastic bags) and a boxed data back equally complete. What am I missing here? I know it isn't a classic fully manual Contax S2, but gosh, $50?
insanely low is right, they were damn pricey back in the day (maybe not S2 pricey but not cheap)

01-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #9092
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Also enormously annoying: the little plastic bumps that "lock" a reversible hood into place inevitably wear down so the hood doesn't stay in place reliably.
That's why I always have a lenshood keeper cord attached to the hood and the lens for most of the smaller lenses - but not the 3x long Sigmas because that's not really practicable, and the hoods fit pretty tightly and haven't loosened to any extent over the last few years.
01-27-2017, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #9093
Veteran Member

I bought an APS adapter for my Minolta DiMage IV.
01-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #9094

was looking for a used K-70 and just ordered one with an 18-135 from Adorama. Looking forward to the learning curve.

01-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #9095
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lukinosity Quote
was looking for a used K-70 and just ordered one with an 18-135 from Adorama. Looking forward to the learning curve.
I have an 18-135. I really like the lens. It has had some negatives dished on it...unfairly I feel....over the years.

It's a great lens, sharp, clear and a great walk around...moderate wide angle to moderate telephoto and everything in between. I've used it at vintage car shows...for that wide...look, portraits of family members and others....and for wildlife, as long as the wildlife is not too far away.

Great purchase and I think you'll be happy with this useful, versatile lens. It's also weather resistant.
01-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #9096

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have an 18-135. I really like the lens. It has had some negatives dished on it...unfairly I feel....over the years.

It's a great lens, sharp, clear and a great walk around...moderate wide angle to moderate telephoto and everything in between. I've used it at vintage car shows...for that wide...look, portraits of family members and others....and for wildlife, as long as the wildlife is not too far away.

Great purchase and I think you'll be happy with this useful, versatile lens. It's also weather resistant.
The lens will be my main WR lens and general workhorse. I don't do much photography anymore and frankly my telephone is probably good enough. But a good WR zoom is essential with Pentax, right? I'll probably pick up a nice "normal" fast prime and a macro and call it quits.
01-27-2017, 09:30 PM   #9097
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lukinosity Quote
The lens will be my main WR lens and general workhorse. I don't do much photography anymore and frankly my telephone is probably good enough. But a good WR zoom is essential with Pentax, right? I'll probably pick up a nice "normal" fast prime and a macro and call it quits.
It's a good workhorse as you say. Occasionally there is a threat of rain or a bit of drizzle in my area of the world and I put my one WR lens, the 18-135 on my K-5 which also has a WR body. If it starts pouring I whip a plastic bag over the camera/lens and call it a day.

I have a Pentax 50mm 'normal' F 1.4 and a Pentax 50 Macro F 2.8. I bought the 50 normal first, then a year or so later bought the 50 Macro. I have to admit that I have sometimes questioned myself, should I make do with just one 50 and if so, would the 50 Macro make the most sense....Macro capability and OK fast at F 2.8.

But then I do find myself using both lenses and for portraits I like experimenting around the F 2 area on the 50 normal.

The Pentax 100 WR F 2.8 came out after I bought these two 50 mm's. I think if the 100 F 2.8 had been available...I probably would of got the 50 normal and the 100 F2.8 Macro.

01-28-2017, 11:03 AM - 2 Likes   #9098
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Pentax 645 Z!!! ................... display stand. Now I just need the other pieces to put on it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
01-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #9099
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dtrego Quote
A Pentax 645 Z!!! ................... display stand. Now I just need the other pieces to put on it.
That's the cheap bit.... 😂
01-28-2017, 11:21 PM   #9100

Coming soon by the brown truck...Pentax Limited 21mm...have the 40mm...can't wait to use it.
01-29-2017, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #9101

Lowepro

Pro Runner BP 350 AW II. Now I can carry all the things I need (and don't) with me...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-A300FU  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-A300FU  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-A300FU  Photo 
01-30-2017, 02:12 AM   #9102
Pentaxian

I picked up a couple of SFXns that I'd had sent to my parents house a long time ago but I hadn't been back to pick them up. They seem to work fine. I also just got the AA battery pack for the SFXn, which I had been looking for for a while, though both the new cameras came with working lithium batteries so I'm all set for power in them for a while. Also the AA battery grip for the MZ-5N/MZ-3 (not sure if it fits any others).

I also picked up a Vivitar 28-80 kit lens on ebay because it was being sold with an MZ-3 which may not work. I need to put some batteries in it and see if it does or not, but it's worth the risk for £9 delivered.

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 01-30-2017 at 05:38 AM.
01-30-2017, 02:14 AM   #9103

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I picked up a couple of SFXns that I'd had sent to my parents house a long time ago but I hadn't been back to pick them up. They seem to work fine. I also just got the AA battery pack for the SFXn, which I had been looking for for a while, though both the new cameras came with working lithium batteries so I'm all set for power in them for a while. Alos the AA battery grip for the MZ-5N/MZ-3 (not sure if it fits any others).

I also picked up a Vivitar 28-80 kit lens on ebay because it was being sold with an MZ-3 which may not work. I need to put some batteries in it and see if it does or not, but it's worth the risk for £9 delivered.
My 1st AF camera was a SFXN I love it it was great I latter sold it to upgrade to a Z1 which I still have. Only thing I didnt like about it was how Pentax put the flash hot shoe on the side ( I think it was a really stupid idea to do that)
01-30-2017, 04:23 AM   #9104
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
...Only thing I didnt like about it was how Pentax put the flash hot shoe on the side...
I have had both the SFX and SFXn - still have the SFXn in fact, I believe the theory behind the sideways hotshoe location was to try to prevent redeye.
01-30-2017, 05:44 AM   #9105
Pentaxian

I rarely use flash for film, I usually keep my MX loaded with Tri-X at 1600 for low light instead.

I now have three SFXns as despite their failings they are nice cameras and until now were the only Pentax film SLRs that I had which went to 1/4000s shutter speed, which is very important for me as I live in sunny Spain. I say "until now" because I just tested my new MZ-3 which was sold as faulty and it seems to work perfectly. It may be my imagination, but the AF seems a bit snappier than on my MZ-5Ns, which are supposed to be the same except for the slower maximum shutter speed.

Anyway, I'm very happy as MZ-3s usually sell for around ten times what I paid for this one.

Here she is with the AA battery grip and my FA 50/1.7.

DSCF2102a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr