Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #9121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
With the K-1 and K-3, I feel that I have the best of the FF and cropped sensor worlds.
Agreed.

tend to grab the K-3 for my DA lenses
I just use them at 15 MP in crop mode. 36 MP is overkill for me anyway. I'd love the option to shoot the K-1 at 22MP and still have 15M when using crop mode.

and the DA40 is FF compatible.

and when I want that little flash thing that pops up on top.
I find that I don't miss it. It's just not there, I work around it and use my hotshoe flash when I need light.

02-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #9122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Agreed.

I just use them at 15 MP in crop mode. 36 MP is overkill for me anyway. I'd love the option to shoot the K-1 at 22MP and still have 15M when using crop mode.

and the DA40 is FF compatible.

I find that I don't miss it. It's just not there, I work around it and use my hotshoe flash when I need light.
I generally agree, and if I did not have the K-3, I would have no problem using the K-1 for everything. For flash, I have an old AF200T that I use instead of popup on the K-1. I use it in totally manual mode, and the form factor is small enough that it does not make the K-1 look formidable to subjects in my view at least. I have actually started using the DAs on crop mode also, although I do not have many DAs because in buying lenses I have for a good while been anticipating by going for the F and FA lenses, and fortunately my two recent DAs, the 35 and 50 both seem to be pretty much compatible with the K-1.
02-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #9123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased a Metz 26 AF-II which is K1 compatible. Tiny little two triple-A cell unit, probably near the power of a typical pop-up flash.
02-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #9124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

walked past one the of local camera stores which had a practically mint condition 2004 Hasselblad 500CM, apparently the owner had only put four rolls of film through it..the price for it was tempting indeed.

02-05-2017, 01:22 AM - 3 Likes   #9125
Pentaxian

Third time lucky?

I own two K2s, neither of which work, as I found out after buying each that they suffer from an ill apparently very common in the K2 - gummed up insides. This requires a very expensive CLA to fix and my GAS always puts new gear ahead of fixing what I already have, so they sit unused. They are beautiful to behold, extraordinarily solid and feel amazing in the hand, so I've been yearning to be able to get out and shoot with one.

Enter K2 number three - a DMD no less, and in great shape. I bought this on Friday after playing with it for a while to make sure it works - even the ISO dial turns without undue force (which makes me think it may have been CLA'ed at some point). I've spent a good chunk of the time since then looking at and fondling this little beauty and today will hopefully have the time to change the light seals and mirror bumper, all that needs to be done before running a test roll through it.

The best part is that once I sell off the three lenses that came with it (a K 50/1.4 and cheap 28/2.8 and tele-zoom in M42 mount) the camera itself will have been virtually free, along with the genuine M42->K adapter. I'd love to keep the 50mm as it's in better cosmetic shape than the one I already have, but I just can't justify it with the number of other good 50/1.4s I already own.

IMGP6481a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

IMGP6460
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
02-05-2017, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #9126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Looks like I am going to acquire a dental implant.
Ouch.... I did the maths and passed on a couple..... just enough teeth left to get me to my EOLE. Plenty of time in retirement to chew.
02-05-2017, 05:31 AM   #9127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Third time lucky?

I own two K2s, neither of which work, as I found out after buying each that they suffer from an ill apparently very common in the K2 - gummed up insides. This requires a very expensive CLA to fix and my GAS always puts new gear ahead of fixing what I already have, so they sit unused. They are beautiful to behold, extraordinarily solid and feel amazing in the hand, so I've been yearning to be able to get out and shoot with one.

Enter K2 number three - a DMD no less, and in great shape. I bought this on Friday after playing with it for a while to make sure it works - even the ISO dial turns without undue force (which makes me think it may have been CLA'ed at some point). I've spent a good chunk of the time since then looking at and fondling this little beauty and today will hopefully have the time to change the light seals and mirror bumper, all that needs to be done before running a test roll through it.

The best part is that once I sell off the three lenses that came with it (a K 50/1.4 and cheap 28/2.8 and tele-zoom in M42 mount) the camera itself will have been virtually free, along with the genuine M42->K adapter. I'd love to keep the 50mm as it's in better cosmetic shape than the one I already have, but I just can't justify it with the number of other good 50/1.4s I already.
Beautiful camera. I just got one also - considerably more expensive than free

02-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #9128
Pentaxian

I am not sure if I already mentioned getting a Fuji GX680 and three lenses earlier this year. Last week I picked up a Holga because my wife already has one and so she picked up the last Holga, I think, at the camerastore so she would have one more than me.
02-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #9129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I am not sure if I already mentioned getting a Fuji GX680 and three lenses earlier this year. Last week I picked up a Holga because my wife already has one and so she picked up the last Holga, I think, at the camerastore so she would have one more than me.

I've been debating one of the Fuji 670/680/690 rangefinder variants, I have a bid in on a GL690 with 2 lenses right now

I did just order three of these, I put one on my XE2 a long time ago (which my wife has completely taken as her own) I finally decided i'd put it on all the other fuji bodies. i was boring and just went for black ones
02-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #9130
Pentaxian

My wife and I just bought a glass and metal display cabinet from IKEA. Quite nice looking, the metal frame is powder coated and the glass is beautiful. The cabinet has 5 glassed in shelves and one metal shelf at the base....glass door with lock. A bit labour intensive assembly. but all went well.

In this cabinet, I have a number of vintage cameras, some of them were purchased by me, some gifts from friends and family members. Equipment displayed includes my Mamiya 220 Pro F, TLR, medium format with Mamiya-Sekor 65mm wide angle, 80 normal and 180mm Super Telephoto. I racked the 220 Pro out for display.

There's my Pentax 35mm SLR shelf...'68 Pentax S1a with accessory shoe, 50mm lens F2, wife's K1000 with a 28mm Takumar bayonet mount and my black bodied ES ll with it's 50mm F 1.8.

Top shelf has my Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta B with Zeiss lens (of course) and Leica Rangefinder (11f) with it's collapsible Leitz Elmar F 3.5. A very sharp lens by the way.

Then the Yashicamat TLR shelf...a 124G and a C. Also is my 30 year old Sekonic L-248 light meter.

Then the oddball, but still loved grouping. A Yashica Minister, Rangefinder, a Petri SLR (when was the last time you saw one of these and a Minolta 7000...believe these were one of the first auto focus cameras.

Bottom shelf contains my very old Russian MTO 500mm Mirror lens with hand made wooden box. Dovetail corners, high quality hinges, etc. Beautiful woodworking went into this box and the MTO is not bad either, considering it's era.

I still have more vintage photography equipment, maybe another cabinet is in order.

Much more pleasure for me, having my old equipment on display, then put away in camera bags, etc. It's nice to look at them and remember some of the adventures I had with the old stuff. My original Pentax, the S1a, I bought back in the 1960's when I worked as a young editorial assistant (reporter) for a publishing company. I tried it over the weekend....still works and yes...I tried the 1/1000th of a second setting....not Identified in the S1a...just the additional click above the 'maximum' 1/500th shutter setting.

The total value for my vintage camera equipment on display, isn't worth a whole lot in terms of money...but value is not just in monetary terms.

Last edited by lesmore49; 02-06-2017 at 01:53 PM.
02-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #9131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My wife and I just bought a glass and metal display cabinet from IKEA. Quite nice looking, the metal frame is powder coated and the glass is beautiful. The cabinet has 5 glassed in shelves and one metal shelf at the base....glass door with lock. A bit labour intensive assembly. but all went well.
Hi, interested to see what was the model you choose, I am in the process of modifying my gear storage... thanks!
02-06-2017, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #9132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Hi, interested to see what was the model you choose, I am in the process of modifying my gear storage... thanks!

The Klingsbo. So far, although we've just had a few days, we're quite happy with it.

KLINGSBO Glass-door cabinet - IKEA

We originally looked at the this one, but the Klingsbo, had more display shelves.

FABRIKÖR Glass-door cabinet - red-brown - IKEA

We have an IKEA not too far from our house and for us there's nothing like actually seeing one. I believe Montreal also has an IKEA.

When we went down to the store, we had the different display cabinet in mind...but when we actually saw the Klingsbo model, we quickly realized that this would work better for our needs.
02-06-2017, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #9133
Site Supporter

Wonder if I made somewhat of a steal but would love some input. Won this auction at the Swedish equivalent of E-bay earlier today:

Pentax Star SMC-A 85mm f:1,4 på Tradera.com - Pentax kameraobjektiv |

It's the legendary Pentax SMC A* 85mm f1.4 which I paid approximately $250 for including shipping.

As you can see it's far from mint condition, with scuffles and marks on the outside. According to the seller it's mechanically sound and in good working order. There might be some more resistance than normal when focusing, but still smooth. Front glass without any faults. Back lens has three minor scratches in the periphery, but once again according to seller shouldn't affect IQ.

Lens is on it's way through the postal service, I'll be able to give some first hand impressions in a couple of days.

Do you think it was a good price in light of the pretty heavy use the lens seems to have been through?

Same guy still has an SMC-A 28mm f2 up for sale for $130 and an SMC K 200mm f2.5 for $165.
02-06-2017, 03:52 PM - 2 Likes   #9134
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
She's hereeee!!! Shipping from the Philippines was much, much quicker than I thought it'd be. K, gotta go shoot now!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel  Photo 
02-06-2017, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #9135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
She's hereeee!!! Shipping from the Philippines was much, much quicker than I thought it'd be. K, gotta go shoot now!
Congratulations! maybe some day.

For a really big camera to the tiniest of cameras. I have not posted in this thread in so long. I have a long back list of stuff I never posted.

Just arrived today new from Florida. Been on the fence about a Q for a long time.

Now the K-01 has a little brother.