Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #9331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Having worked for govt. agencies all my working life, I never once received a bonus. None of us workers did (maybe management did)
Thing is places that give bonuses frequently pay less in my experience. When i was last in retail 1/3 of my salary was based on performance bonuses, but i made mediocre money if i didn't max all the matrices. then for 8 years i worked someplace with no incentives and a poor salary. hen i came where I am bonus wasn't mentioned salary was decent (still not Govt purchasing level but decent) it's a private club so the bonus is really a staff appreciation fund from members

---------- Post added 13th Mar 2017 at 10:47 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
If you think that's bad,try being self-employed
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Been there, done that, still do, and there ain't no bonuses anywhere. If your lucky your clients pay on time.
Yep, self employed can be a difficult road. My side business it's always a battle to get paid in a timely manner and for what the work is worth

03-13-2017, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #9332
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My solution, in my second career, is, "Pay me in advance."
03-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #9333
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My solution, in my second career, is, "Pay me in advance."
only works if you are collecting a set fee, if you get paid a partial fee in advance and then work on a time basis you are back to trusting the client
03-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #9334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gossen Scout 3 selenium exposure meter

Cost me $9.95 shipping included on eBay.
Made in Japan; looks more like a Sekonic...

Chris

03-14-2017, 01:20 AM   #9335
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It's like christmas at my office.
this arrived from Japan already (shipped 2 days ago at no charge !!!!!)...beside my XT1 for comparison sake. It's Bigly to quote someone who shall remain nameless . no shot but my three light strobe kit and backdrop kit arrived as well. just waiting on additional triggers and additional clips for heavier fabrics. all three strobes tested all good to toss packaging
Very nice indeed. There's a beautiful Fuji 6x9 for sale close to me cheap but it has a problem, I think the aperture doesn't close, and I read that they're difficult to repair so I had to leave it sitting there
03-14-2017, 03:43 AM   #9336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Very nice indeed. There's a beautiful Fuji 6x9 for sale close to me cheap but it has a problem, I think the aperture doesn't close, and I read that they're difficult to repair so I had to leave it sitting there

There are tons of them on eBay from Tokyo counter on mine says 332 but I'm guessing it's at least a 1 in front of that (it's a roll counter )
I wouldn't want to attempt a repair on the lens myself the shutter the flash sync and the aperture and helicoid all in he lens would make it pretty complex (never mind ensuring accurate focus on the rf patch after, worth finding a good example , this was 329 usd shipped air arrived in two days (I was stunned)
03-14-2017, 12:16 PM   #9337
Veteran Member

I'm on the hunt for ND filters.

I decided to dip my toe into Breakthrough Photography's products. I didn't get an ND filter but I did pick up a CPL. Their marketing claims are...extremely optimistic and the price is lofty...and their founders seem to kind of thin skinned but the the few customer reviews seem to be pleased with the results. Complaints seem to be mainly on early manufacturing inconsistencies.

I have a larger Marumi CPL that I'll be comparing against the BP CPL. We'll see if it lives up to the marketing claims.

03-14-2017, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #9338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Used Herman Miller office chair

Chris
03-18-2017, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #9339
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

After reading a post by another of our members, I picked up a Manfrotto MP1 "Pocket Support" for my Q7. It's a fantastic little stand that screws into the tripod socket on the base of the camera, and has three adjustable "flap"-style legs that fold flat against the base when not in use. Although the retail price is £14.95, Currys PC World here in the UK are selling them on eBay for less than £5 including shipping. I can't say enough good things about this accessory... it's brilliant.

Also bagged another very cheap M39-mount Industar-50 on eBay with a last minute bid. It was attached to a Zenit-3M, and both camera and lens were in dire need of cleaning and service. The lens is a very nice gloss black model from 1969. I've taken it apart, cleaned the optics, barrel parts and helicoid, and re-greased it. The aperture blades were clean, so no work to do there, thankfully. It's working beautifully now, and in really good condition for its age

Photo taken with the Q7, using the Manfrotto MP1:

03-18-2017, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #9340
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just beautiful, Ivan, you must post some pictures you take with it.

The new D FA 85mm f1.4 will be a very different beast.
So sad . . . I had to ship the lens back to Keh because of broken autofocus. Keh also has a nice one with no hood, but with a lens at this level, I would like to have the original hood and not spend years trying to locate one while using some kind of filter screw-in hood.

---------- Post added 03-18-17 at 05:30 PM ----------

Nice . . . I just opened the box for a mint/like new Pentax-F 35-70mm f 3.5-4.5 macro from a Japanese supplier. This lens, like many I have received from Japan, looks as if it has never been used, and even included apparently original front and back caps and black Pentax fabric storage bag. Snow here so poor shooting conditions, but I look forward to trying out this lens.

I ordered this lens because I was impressed with a $10 Keh UGLY Pentax-A version of the same lens. That lens looks like sin, but shoots beautifully. Anyone who wants it, send private message.

---------- Post added 03-18-17 at 05:36 PM ----------

Just got two Takumars from Keh: (1) 55mm f 1.8 m42 and (2) Takumar (bayonet) 135mm f 2.5. The 135mm surprised me because I mistakenly thought all the Takumars were m42. Both lenses appear pretty sharp on my customary indoors test subjects, and I will look forward to spring to give them decent tryouts.
03-21-2017, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #9341
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just picked up an F-Mount 20-35 2.8 AT-X Tokina about a week and a half ago.
OH! and a few 77mm filters (yellow, polarizing, warming & cooling for color films) for when it and my 80-200 are on the F3.
03-22-2017, 04:04 AM   #9342
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
After reading a post by another of our members, I picked up a Manfrotto MP1 "Pocket Support" for my Q7. It's a fantastic little stand that screws into the tripod socket on the base of the camera, and has three adjustable "flap"-style legs that fold flat against the base when not in use. Although the retail price is £14.95, Currys PC World here in the UK are selling them on eBay for less than £5 including shipping. I can't say enough good things about this accessory... it's brilliant.
I have one of them, bought in Currys (I think) a few years back on special offer, I think it cost me less than £7. It's handy to have though I haven't used it much. Smaller and better than most tabletop tripods.

I have just bought a Miranda Sensomat RE with a 50/1.8 on it from an online seller for €16 delivered. I'll have to wait and see what kind of condition it's in but for that price I think it's worth the risk.
03-22-2017, 05:12 AM   #9343
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote

Just got two Takumars from Keh: (1) 55mm f 1.8 m42 and (2) Takumar (bayonet) 135mm f 2.5. The 135mm surprised me because I mistakenly thought all the Takumars were m42. Both lenses appear pretty sharp on my customary indoors test subjects, and I will look forward to spring to give them decent tryouts.
You are going to love the 55mm F1.8. It is a superb lens. When I put it on my K1 it is the classic elegance and simplicity of my Spotmatic II with the image capture ability of the K1. It has worked on my K5, K5-IIs, K3 and now my K1.

Last edited by gaweidert; 03-22-2017 at 05:18 AM.
03-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #9344
Veteran Member

Picked up. 43" 5 in one reflector kit and an arm to use it with a spare light stand delivered this am
And. +3 diopter which will fit my Nikon FE and my Fuji 690
03-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #9345
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

I've never seen that pocket 'tripod' design before.. Looks like a great item. Wonder if it would fit a DSLR....or are they too large/heavy to be supported by this device ?