Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2017, 01:10 AM   #9901
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I will look out a suitably attractive 35mm camera to put the strap on and take a photo of it, hopefully this weekend.
Cool Jonathan, will watch for it

06-23-2017, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #9902
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have not posted in ages, but the acquisitions continue ... here, two sets of cameras from four separate finds ... just making my inventory mug shots ... both f/1.2

06-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #9903
Veteran Member

Just a few rolls of 120.
06-23-2017, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #9904
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This addition to my Soviet lens collection arrived today... a mint condition 1975 Tair-3 4.5/300, to sit alongside my 3S and 3 PhS models. This one came with its original caps, filters, case, documents (inc. passport) and box. It has definitely been used, but the signs are so very minimal that it could almost pass as a brand new lens. Focus ring is just a little stiff, but not bad at all, and the glass is perfect. So, I think this one will go straight into the collection and occasional use, without any servicing work for now

Attached Images

06-23-2017, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #9905
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Used Domke F-8 (olive) and f.64 DECS (gray) camera bags

Chris
06-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #9906
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This addition to my Soviet lens collection arrived today... a mint condition 1975 Tair-3 4.5/300, to sit alongside my 3S and 3 PhS models. This one came with its original caps, filters, case, documents (inc. passport) and box. It has definitely been used, but the signs are so very minimal that it could almost pass as a brand new lens. Focus ring is just a little stiff, but not bad at all, and the glass is perfect. So, I think this one will go straight into the collection and occasional use, without any servicing work for now
Do you know how many Tair models there are? I'm familiar with the Tair-11, but didn't realize there were others.
06-23-2017, 01:09 PM - 2 Likes   #9907
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Do you know how many Tair models there are? I'm familiar with the Tair-11, but didn't realize there were others.
In M39 and M42 mounts there were various incarnations of the Tair-11 and Tair-3... also a Tair-56 150mm f/2.8 in M42 mount (never seen one of these) and the APO Tair-1 300mm f/4.5 (looks very much like a Tair-3, but I've never seen one of these either). And there were a few other models for Kiev-88 / Pentacon Six mount medium format cameras.

06-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #9908
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh eveready case for my Sears KS1000 camera
Vintage Olympus strap for my Olympus 35RC camera

Chris
06-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #9909
Veteran Member

I have a Panasonic GX80 and the 12-32 mm and 35-100 mm (the smaller one, f4.0 to f5.6) on loan for a month or two... and I am considering keeping it. I've barely touched my Pentax since, and while ergonomics are better on the Pentax, the Panasonic is so much more capable. Overwhelming, really. The only thing it can't do is long exposures (anything over 2 seconds is a mess, regardless of ISO). And it doesn't have the bokeh, or the lack of noise at high ISO my K-5 has.

But the lenses are so much sharper, so much smaller and lighter. The camera is lighter, but not too light. The AF is faster and more accurate. The viewfinder is better, especially all the things like histogram or zebras you can get in the viewfinder. The shutter is quieter, though the K-5 is really good in that regard. The SR is, thanks to the lighter sensor, better. And obviously, for video no Pentax can even come close. At all. Different universe. Battery life is poor though.

Most of all, in the past month I've taken more photos than I've taken the entire last year. And more creative, better photos. (Maybe it's just the new toy, but it's also smaller, lighter, more pocket-able and less attention grabbing). And to be honest, all recent Pentax cameras have been let downs. They don't get better for video, for stills improvements are also... not that big, and the lenses are huge in comparison without being better IMHO. It's not that Pentax has stopped making good cameras (in the form of the K-3 and K-1), but the advances other brands have made... I hope I'll get more cameras to test in the future, like Sonys 6xxx series, but the Panasonic has set a high benchmark. It can't replace my Pentax because of low light, but I'll miss it a lot if I give it back. The pancake 18-50 (?) is a step in the right direction, but there need to be more lenses like that, and they need to be higher quality. I think what I really fell in love with were the Panasonic lenses.

Last edited by kadajawi; 06-24-2017 at 09:40 AM.
06-24-2017, 10:39 AM - 3 Likes   #9910

MX

Just bought this black MX off the Bay at a reasonable £50. I had one in mint condition a few years ago, but sold it. Somehow I prefer this one with its brassed edges. Gives some character to the camera which to me feels better than a spotless one. Lens was not part of the sale, just my olde 43mm Limited. Perfect match.

---------- Post added 06-24-17 at 06:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dmr Quote
Long story on this one, but it looks like I'm now officially in the color film processing business.
Good to see others keeping film alive. Long live analogue...

---------- Post added 06-24-17 at 06:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Capture Lights Quote
I need to stop this buying spree...

First i got the K-1 with DFA 24-70 and Rokinon 85,

Just few minutes ago, I placed another order for Sigma EX 2.8 zooms from a Japanese seller...
You'll enjoy the 70-200mm Sigma. It is a stunning lens, I have had it for about 10 years starting with the istD, than K100D, following K-7 and now K-1. Do not sell it... ever. I do not think the Dg version can be much better. Keep shooting!

---------- Post added 06-24-17 at 07:05 PM ----------

I had one years ago. Bought it from some twat who kep it in his camera bag without caps so the rear element got badly damaged. Sold it finally for pennies as I could not get a decent image out of it. Regardless it is a true classic, congrats...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad mini 2  Photo 
06-24-2017, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #9911
Pentaxian

Just bought a Sigma 17-70 from a UK forum member for about $120 US to see if that "works" a little better than the 18-135 (tend not to use the long end of that anyway) - won't be here for 10 days or so (the seller can only post stuff on Saturdays! ) but I will be interested to see how it handles and shoots.
06-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #9912
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I have a Panasonic GX80 and the 12-32 mm and 35-100 mm (the smaller one, f4.0 to f5.6) on loan for a month or two... and I am considering keeping it. I've barely touched my Pentax since, and while ergonomics are better on the Pentax, the Panasonic is so much more capable. Overwhelming, really.
does it make any sense to compare a 2010 camera with a 2016 one?
I have owned a Panasonic G80 for 6 months, I have happily replaced it with a Pentax KP
06-24-2017, 01:34 PM - 3 Likes   #9913
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
It does, I think. It depends on what you want and need.

I don't agree with @kadajawi on his Pentax opinions - not for one minute. Video doesn't matter to me, though But, I'm pleased he's found something he likes so much. The GX80 certainly wouldn't be my choice, but he obviously loves it, and that's great. It's the way I feel about both my Pentax and Sony gear, regardless of age.

I picked up a Samsung GX10 (re-branded K10D from 2006) some months back, and I now shoot it as much as my K-3 and K-3II - often out of choice. I really like the "certain something" I get from it at lower ISO settings. I thought people were imagining the "CCD look"... thinking, maybe it's just the camera's colour profiling... but it's not - or at least it's not just that. I shoot only RAW, I'm well-versed in Lightroom processing, and I really like what I get out of the GX10 compared to my other bodies. I don't think any less of my K-3 and K-3II, but I know when the GX10 will suit a situation better... for me

Of course, we're all different, and our opinions on equipment and the results produced are subjective to some extent. But, yeah... it can make sense to compare older and newer cameras

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-24-2017 at 02:42 PM.
06-24-2017, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #9914
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
I have owned a Panasonic G80 for 6 months, I have happily replaced it with a Pentax KP
Why not? as Mack says below, the rendition from the K10's CCD sensor had something special about it. I personally liken it to the difference between Kodachrome 25 and Kodachrome 64; the 25 just had a glow about its rendition. I replaced my K10 with a K-3, but only after many, many frames and failure starting. The K-3 shines in the dark, and that is a bit more important to me than the color treatments. For similar reasons, I usually shot K64, but liked K25 when using the 55mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It does, I think. It depends on what you want and need.

The GX80 certainly wouldn't be my choice, but he obviously loves it, and that's great. It's the way I feel about both my Pentax and Sony gear, regardless of age.

I picked up a Samsung GX10 (re-branded K10D from 2006) some months back, and I now shoot it as much as my K-3 and K-3II - often out of choice. I really like the "certain something" I get from it at lower ISO settings. I thought people were imagining the "CCD look"... thinking, maybe it's just the camera's colour profiling... but it's not - or at least it's not just that. I shoot only RAW, I'm well-versed in Lightroom processing, and I really like what I get out of the GX10 compared to my other bodies. I don't think any less of my K-3 and K-3II, but I know when the GX10 will suit a situation better... for me

Of course, we're all different, and our opinions on equipment and the results produced are subjective to some extent. But, yeah... it can make sense to compare older and newer cameras
06-24-2017, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #9915
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Why not? as Mack says below, the rendition from the K10's CCD sensor had something special about it. I personally liken it to the difference between Kodachrome 25 and Kodachrome 64; the 25 just had a glow about its rendition. I replaced my K10 with a K-3, but only after many, many frames and failure starting. The K-3 shines in the dark, and that is a bit more important to me than the color treatments. For similar reasons, I usually shot K64, but liked K25 when using the 55mm.
Despite having a K-1 and KP I still use my K10D with the DA35/2.8. That combination has some kind of pixie dust at ISO100.