Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2017, 11:36 AM - 3 Likes   #9931
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

With my Soviet lens collecting, I tend to stick with models designed for use with 35mm SLR and rangefinder cameras - and, hence, with M39, M42, K and occasionally Nikon mounts. But I was recently tempted by this one, and it arrived this morning... A 92mm F-92 1:2 (also known by some as the Helios-92) from a ЛЕТИ-60 projector. It's a 6/4 Planar-based design with no diaphragm - just the wide open f/2 aperture.

It came in three parts - the optical block, a lens housing and a custom-made M42 adapter. The optical block focuses by means of a single groove helicoid (and a lot of grease ) which allows it to move back and forth in the housing. Very rudimentary, but it works surprisingly well.

I've only had a brief opportunity to try it out, but it's surprisingly good optically on both APS-C and full-frame

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-27-2017 at 11:44 AM.
06-27-2017, 12:08 PM - 2 Likes   #9932
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In several days we'll have an unboxing. That's confession enough. .

you'll need a couple of boxes of cookies for this....
06-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #9933
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I've gone full frame:

A real lens on the front of it. Which particular lens?
06-27-2017, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #9934
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
A real lens on the front of it. Which particular lens?
S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4

06-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #9935
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4

Nice one. Mine is the STak 50/1.4.

Actually I prefer a number of the others in the series. But yours is nice.
06-27-2017, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #9936
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
you'll need a couple of boxes of cookies for this....
I'm not supposed to buy any more lenses taller than 10 SMU's .
06-27-2017, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #9937
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm not supposed to buy any more lenses taller than 10 SMU's .
I'll save you

ship it to me

I'll take it even though it looks defective - the writing is upside down on the image you posted

06-27-2017, 06:40 PM - 5 Likes   #9938
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Latest acquisition--hood for 645 lens

I have enjoyed playing around with my collection of seven Pentax-A 645 lenses, adapted on my K-1, for the past month. Image quality has exceeded expectations, and I have fallen in love with two of the seven. My two favorites are the 120mm f 4.0 macro (with an inadequate built-in slide-out hood) and the 75mm f 2.8. However, these lenses are very subject to flare, especially if any portion of the sky appears in the frame, and the resulting flare is a disfiguring hazy splotch generally near the center of the frame. Compounding the problem, finding hoods for these lenses is an almost impossible task. Not one of the lenses I have bought used was shipped to me with a hood, and whenever a hood for a specific lens comes up on eBay, prices seem to be hovering around $45.00 each, which is well beyond what I would ever pay. What the lenses seem to need is a large hood, perhaps something similar to the one for the Pentax-FA 85mm f 1.4, but I cannot find anything like that even among the multitude of screw-in hoods offered on-line

Ergo . . . I have created my own slip-on hood. It is hand-crafted of matte black construction paper and held together with black duct tape. Laugh, yes, go ahead, I don't care. However, this hood works after several iterations to shape the hood properly to avoid vignetting--no more adapted 645 lens flare for me! Cost--maybe ten cents for the construction paper and tape.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-27-2017, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #9939
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Military surplus 50 caliber ammo cans were once quite popular for cheap crush-proof dry storage of camera gear.
So no hypervigilant numbskull gets any mistaken notions about my intentions mine remains inside my car's trunk.

Chris
I have one somewhere which I'd fitted with foam plastic cut out to accommodate my Praktica LTL and a few cassettes of film. Should have withstood total immersion or a nuclear attack! though I never tested either.
06-27-2017, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #9940
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I have enjoyed playing around with my collection of seven Pentax-A 645 lenses, adapted on my K-1, for the past month. Image quality has exceeded expectations, and I have fallen in love with two of the seven. My two favorites are the 120mm f 4.0 macro (with an inadequate built-in slide-out hood) and the 75mm f 2.8. However, these lenses are very subject to flare, especially if any portion of the sky appears in the frame, and the resulting flare is a disfiguring hazy splotch generally near the center of the frame. Compounding the problem, finding hoods for these lenses is an almost impossible task. Not one of the lenses I have bought used was shipped to me with a hood, and whenever a hood for a specific lens comes up on eBay, prices seem to be hovering around $45.00 each, which is well beyond what I would ever pay. What the lenses seem to need is a large hood, perhaps something similar to the one for the Pentax-FA 85mm f 1.4, but I cannot find anything like that even among the multitude of screw-in hoods offered on-line

Ergo . . . I have created my own slip-on hood. It is hand-crafted of matte black construction paper and held together with black duct tape. Laugh, yes, go ahead, I don't care. However, this hood works after several iterations to shape the hood properly to avoid vignetting--no more adapted 645 lens flare for me! Cost--maybe ten cents for the construction paper and tape.
I, for one, applaud your ingenuity.

Photons don't care about the cost of the hood -- construction paper is as good as carbon fiber.

And the money you saved can be used to buy another lens, right?
06-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #9941
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote

Can you show a picture of the inside of your adapter and another of the rear of the lens plus adapter. I have a theory.
06-28-2017, 06:04 AM - 3 Likes   #9942
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My second Samsung GX10 was delivered today... and she's a beauty

Camera plus original battery, charger, cables / manuals / CD-ROM, Schneider-Kreuznach D-Xenon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 50-200mm f/4-5.6 lenses with original hoods and Hoya UV filters, Samsung SEF-36PZF flash, an unopened Cokin CPL filter and a couple of filter wrenches. Quite a bag of goodies.

All in absolutely mint, unmarked condition except for the lens hoods, which have a few tiny marks - oh, and the vinyl on the original Samsung strap was flaking, so that's gone in the bin. I'm sure I have something lying around in my cupboard that will fit the bill

Shutter count for the GX10 was just 1,370 which confirms it hasn't been used much at all. Everything tested and working fine, too.

No boxes, but that's fine with me... I have enough of those taking up room around here

I need to do the firmware upgrade on the camera, then we're good to go.

All for the princely sum of £125 / $160

UPDATE: The camera is already on v1.30 (the latest firmware revision). Images were soft with the 18-55 initially, so I've enabled the debug menu and done a quick AF fine adjustment. Spot on, now

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-28-2017 at 06:46 AM.
06-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #9943
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Camera plus original battery, charger, cables / manuals / CD-ROM, Schneider-Kreuznach D-Xenon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 50-200mm f/4-5.6 lenses with original hoods and Hoya UV filters, Samsung SEF-36PZF flash, an unopened Cokin CPL filter and a couple of filter wrenches. Quite a bag of goodies.

All in absolutely mint, unmarked condition except for the lens hoods, which have a few tiny marks - oh, and the vinyl on the original Samsung strap was flaking, so that's gone in the bin. I'm sure I have something lying around in my cupboard that will fit the bill

Shutter count for the GX10 was just 1,370 which confirms it hasn't been used much at all. Everything tested and working fine, too.

No boxes, but that's fine with me... I have enough of those taking up room around here

UPDATE: The camera is already on v1.30 (the latest firmware revision). Images were soft with the 18-55 initially, so I've enabled the debug menu and done a quick AF fine adjustment. Spot on, now
I need to look for one of these at those prices.
06-28-2017, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #9944
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Good lord... 1370! That's like a day of shooting... the Panasonic is at nearly 18k now in 6 weeks.

Anyway, the K10d was one hell of a camera. Congrats. What are you going to do with it, since you already have one...?

Oh, the Streetka... the Ka was already quite fun to drive, so... lucky daughter!

@monochrome: Whoa. Nice one. Looks a bit like those Pentax telescopes

If I can get a good price on the GX80, I'm going to keep it. I've tried several other cameras... Sony infuriates me too much, the A7 series is ok but the lenses are too big, and other Panasonics are nicer to use, but lack the size advantage of the GX80. So it's going to be 2 systems, at least until Pentax start to compete in that segment. Like more pancake lenses like the 18-50, say something like that but with the equivalent of 70-200.

Last edited by kadajawi; 06-28-2017 at 12:00 PM.
06-28-2017, 12:07 PM - 3 Likes   #9945
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevriano Quote
I need to look for one of these at those prices.
I typically try for UK auctions that end during normal day-time working hours (9am to 5:30pm), as there are fewer people around to bid on them, and there's a better chance of getting them at or close to the starting price. I either bid manually in the last 10 - 15 seconds, or else I use AuctionStealer to place proxy bids.

On this GX10, there was just one other bidder and they obviously didn't want to pay more than the starting price (or didn't react quickly enough when my bid went in at 10 seconds to the auction end ).

A few of my best-value Soviet lens finds were snagged this same way

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Good lord... 1370! That's like a day of shooting... the Panasonic is at nearly 18k now in 6 weeks.
Ha ha I'm not quite as active as you, but I might still get through a couple of hundred in a busy day. Maybe twice that with moving subjects. So... at worst, this GX10 has only had a few days of my typical use in its life

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Anyway, the K10d was one hell of a camera. Congrats. What are you going to do with it, since you already have one...?
Thank you Well, the reason I bought it is so that I have a backup for if and when my first GX10 dies. I like the camera so much that I would hate to lose it, and getting it repaired just wouldn't be economically viable. So, this is kind of an insurance policy. It'll most likely sit on a shelf for now until it's needed (terrible, I know).

EDIT: It might occasionally get pressed into service alongside GX10 #1 but with a different lens fitted

NEWS FLASH: Luck is on my side this week, it seems... hot on the heels of this GX10, I found an SBG-D1V battery grip for sale in Germany, and bought it just a few moments ago. The Pentax K10D battery grip doesn't fit the GX10 without significant modification, as the body mouldings are slightly different, and no third party grips were ever available for the GX10. The SBG-D1V has become a rare thing, and something I've been looking for these last few months. The example I've bought was listed as "like new", and the photos seem to support that

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-28-2017 at 12:22 PM.