Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #9976
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New Lens hood for my D FA 280105 arrived today from B&H Photo. This to replace the one that made a break for it out in Yellowstone last May. I don't blame it at all. I wouldn't mind staying out there either. It is probably in one of the pullouts along Lewis Lake on the road leading to the southern exit of the park. .

07-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #9977
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
New Lens hood for my D FA 280105 arrived today from B&H Photo. This to replace the one that made a break for it out in Yellowstone last May. I don't blame it at all. I wouldn't mind staying out there either. It is probably in one of the pullouts along Lewis Lake on the road leading to the southern exit of the park. .
Suggest you get one/some of those lens cap/hood keeper leads which retain them attached to the lens when the cap/hood is removed - saved me many a lost hood over the years! Don't have to be expensive, but make sure the self-adhesive pads are as large as possible and well-attached (clean the attachment areas with IPA or similar before sticking the pads in place).
07-03-2017, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #9978
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevriano Quote
The old card says 90mb/s 633x, the new 150mb/s 1000x. I suspect it's read. I reckon it's slower Writing, which is still odd.
You can use H2testw | heise Download to test how fast the card is, and to see if it is counterfeit. I run all my cards through this tool. Also, keep in mind that speeds also depend on your card reader. I've got a Samsung Pro microSD card which does 63 MB/s. For read speeds, most cards are pretty fast. The big difference is in the write speed.

I don't think there's a difference for write speed between JPEG and RAW, except for how fast can the camera process the images.

Congrats monochrome and Aslyfox!

Oh, and one of my latest acquisitions were something like 2-3 kilos of cheese from Galicia, and 10 liters of beer from there. The best in the world (at least those that I've tried). The beer needs to last a year, and some of it is meant as a present, lest you think I'm a drunkard.
07-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #9979
Pentaxian

RE those cards, I think the issue is actually the max write speed of the body in question - anyone have any idea of where we can find the numbers for the various bodies?

07-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #9980
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
RE those cards, I think the issue is actually the max write speed of the body in question - anyone have any idea of where we can find the numbers for the various bodies?
Google. Some reviewers seem to test for that.
07-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #9981
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
You can use H2testw | heise Download to test how fast the card is, and to see if it is counterfeit. I run all my cards through this tool. Also, keep in mind that speeds also depend on your card reader. I've got a Samsung Pro microSD card which does 63 MB/s. For read speeds, most cards are pretty fast. The big difference is in the write speed.

I don't think there's a difference for write speed between JPEG and RAW, except for how fast can the camera process the images.

:
I am talking about how fast they write to the camera, a K3.
07-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #9982
Veteran Member

Yes. You can test the speed of the SD card by using a fast card reader on your computer, and that app. Then you do a burst until the camera slows down. You record the time from taking the first photo until the writing indicator turns off. See how big those photos were, and how long it took, and apply some math. If the speed is slower than what the card should be capable of, then you've probably hit the limit. However some cards work well with some cameras and not with others. I've had bad experiences with SanDisk (not their Extreme ones though), but Samsung works very well for me. IMHO the regular Samsung EVO are better than SanDisk Ultra, and actually do quite alright. I do notice a significant performance boost when using Samsung Pro. But YMMV.

07-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #9983
Pentaxian

Why would you want to do that - except to review images or transfer them via cable to a PC (etc.)?
If the latter, it would be easier to remove the card and put in a USB card reader in the PC (as I do)
07-03-2017, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #9984
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
10 liters of beer from there. The best in the world (at least those that I've tried). The beer needs to last a year
10 litres. That's 17 pints. That's a week's worth (2 a day Sun-Fri, 5 Saturday).
07-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #9985
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Why would you want to do that - except to review images or transfer them via cable to a PC (etc.)?
If the latter, it would be easier to remove the card and put in a USB card reader in the PC (as I do)
My issue is with the new, supposedly faster card, actually taking longer to write the images in burst mode, so I have to wait to review them.
07-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #9986
Pentaxian

My issue is with the new, supposedly faster card, actually taking longer to write the images in burst mode, so I have to wait to review them.
Thanks, now I understand!
07-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #9987
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
10 litres. That's 17 pints. That's a week's worth (2 a day Sun-Fri, 5 Saturday).
Haha, I wouldn't survive that. And this beer is a bit stronger at 7-8%. It's Estrella Galicia, 1906 Reserva Especial, 1906 Red Vintage and 1906 Black Coupage. Big fan of Estrella Galicia, obviously
07-04-2017, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #9988
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
seems like an awfully light amount for a brit
07-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #9989
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kiron 28mm f 2.0

Just received like-new lens, the Kino Precison (branded Kiron) 28mm f 2.0 in K-mount. Close focus feature allows focussing on my flowers from only a claimed 12 inches and a measured 10 inches. This is the M-type with excellent build quality and works with green button. Excellent sharpness and color rendering a little less "bright?" than Pentax.
07-07-2017, 02:44 AM   #9990
Pentaxian

Here are two of my most recent acquisitions - a virtaully mint condition "M" 120mm f/2.8 lens and a hand-made leather strap I bought in Japan. Here both are modeled by my old ME Super, which I recently discovered has a very nervous light meter.

Cross-posted to the gear p0rn thread.

DSCF2633
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr