Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2017, 03:05 AM   #10051
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At one time or another on one machine or another I've used a wired mouse, a wireless mouse, a trackball and a touchpad. I've pretty much gone to a wired mouse on the desktop, because it has proven the most reliable and durable, and the little touchpad on my laptop, because it's there, and I frequently use the laptop on (gee whizz) my lap.

07-20-2017, 03:42 AM   #10052
Pentaxian

Gave up, many years ago, on:
- wired mice because the cables always got caught in "something" or were too long or too short - especially as my desktops have always been too crowded - and when I had to pack stuff up (as I did a lot when contracting) the cables always "got in the way".
- touchpads because my fingers and thumbs (and my brain!) are just too big, insensitive and inflexible for most of them.
- trackballs - occasionally one will work for me, but the few that did were either too big &/or too expensive.
07-20-2017, 03:53 AM   #10053
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SDM 17 -70

When I first got it I wasn't impressed by the slowish auto focus, but then took some shots in the afternoon golden hour... now I'm happy with my acquisition.
07-20-2017, 03:53 AM   #10054
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Can't see the point of the "all singing & dancing" mice - except possibly if you are a dedicated gamer or similar
Gamers often won't touch a wireless mouse due to lag time. I'm not that fast. But those extra buttons come in quite useful. All my rodents (mostly Bluetooth as USB ports can be in short supply on portable equipment) that have extra buttons have one programmed for Windows Magnify function. It is quite useful for peeking at exceptionally small text (is that a 3 or an 8?) or screen pixel peeping at images. Click and drag a magnifying glass around the screen and click and its gone.

07-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #10055
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FEDEX and the 645D

It's here--my totally like-new 645D and four like-new FA lenses--45/75/120 macro/80-160. Strap has never yet been installed on camera, and there are only 684 actuations of the shutter. All hoods, front caps, and back caps are present along with a newish Lowerpro bag.

Can anyone suggest a better strap than the stock strap that comes with the 645D? This one is not very impressive for the size camera/lens it is expected to support.
07-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #10056
Veteran Member

Pentax Winder ME II, and a Konica Autoreflex TC with 40mm f/1.8 and camera bag, all for $40 from my local antique mall
07-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #10057
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
It's here--my totally like-new 645D and four like-new FA lenses--45/75/120 macro/80-160. Strap has never yet been installed on camera, and there are only 684 actuations of the shutter. All hoods, front caps, and back caps are present along with a newish Lowerpro bag.

Can anyone suggest a better strap than the stock strap that comes with the 645D? This one is not very impressive for the size camera/lens it is expected to support.
Congrats! I recently pulled my Yashica TLR out of storage to refamiliarize myself with shooting 6X6 format. Until some unknown rich relative bequeaths me with a pile of cash upon death, my budget doesn't match my eye for a full 645 kit.

But on to your question about a camera strap. Can you tell us more about how you intend to use this camera? That is, studio, event, outdoors on the move, frequent tripod use or predominantly freehand? Do you have a preference for neck, shoulder or cross body style? How important to you is fixed versus quick release straps? Do you want a hand strap to facilitate your grip and if so, with or without one of the mentioned long straps. The only thing we know so far is you don't think highly of skinny strap designs.

07-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #10058
Pentaxian

I recently acquired a Pentax XG-1. Second hand great price... the best camera you could ever own for 210 USD, I have been considering similar cameras that cost over 800 USD that aren't as well made for years.

Review here.
Pentax XG-1 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Post your Photos teaser here
A few XG-1 images - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by normhead; 07-20-2017 at 09:08 AM.
07-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #10059
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My latest find: Yesterday I picked up a Pentax MV1 with M 50/2. Heck, I'll buy anything for $15!

The lens is in great condition, so I'll put that on an ME Super. I'll use the MV for a practice tear-down and CLA.

- Craig
07-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #10060
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Congrats! I recently pulled my Yashica TLR out of storage to refamiliarize myself with shooting 6X6 format. Until some unknown rich relative bequeaths me with a pile of cash upon death, my budget doesn't match my eye for a full 645 kit.

But on to your question about a camera strap. Can you tell us more about how you intend to use this camera? That is, studio, event, outdoors on the move, frequent tripod use or predominantly freehand? Do you have a preference for neck, shoulder or cross body style? How important to you is fixed versus quick release straps? Do you want a hand strap to facilitate your grip and if so, with or without one of the mentioned long straps. The only thing we know so far is you don't think highly of skinny strap designs.
Looking for a better quality, wider standard neck strap for use on camera in event and walkabout use. I am sure I will be using the 645D on tripod from time to time, but I can deal with the dangling strap as I have done that with the K-1 and K-3. I am not interested in the hand strap. I would like a neck strap that is stronger and more comfortable than the one that ships in the box, maybe wider and/or padded where it contacts the back of the neck.

I will appreciate your further thoughts.

P.S. My budget is also stretched, but when I found the D with only 684 clicks plus four like new FA/AF lenses, I could not help myself!

Last edited by ivanvernon; 07-20-2017 at 10:21 AM. Reason: To add the P.S. note
07-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #10061
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Anyone using a track ball mouse? - I am on a computer most of the day every day and use a Logitech model with squash ball sized ball and 4 buttons - works well for me.
That's my favorite also. With the MacBook Air, I am using the scratch pad, and it's OK, but I think I will buy another trackball for use on the desk.

---------- Post added 2017-07-20 at 11:38 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I recently acquired a Pentax XG-1. Second hand great price... the best camera you could ever own for 210 USD, I have been considering similar cameras that cost over 800 USD that aren't as well made for years.
A couple of years ago, my wife bought a new X-5 from Amazon.ca for C$250. She said that I would give her h**l if she bought anything other than Pentax, a gross canard, but it is doing great. She has always had a super eye. It is JPG only, but the auto exposure is usually about as close as any of them get. I'm sure your XG-1 will be even better. Good price!

---------- Post added 2017-07-20 at 11:41 ----------

Looking for a better quality, wider standard neck strap for use on camera in event and walkabout use. I am sure I will be using the 645D on tripod from time to time, but I can deal with the dangling strap as I have done that with the K-1 and K-3. I am not interested in the hand strap. I would like a neck strap that is stronger and more comfortable than the one that ships in the box, maybe wider and/or padded where it contacts the back of the neck.

P.S. My budget is also stretched, but when I found the D with only 684 clicks plus four like new FA/AF lenses, I could not help myself!
When I was using neck straps with heavier 35mm cameras - MX/SF-1 etc - I found the ones with the foam neck parts the most comfortable, and inexpensive to boot.
07-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #10062
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found a cross body strap to be better than a neck strap

I use a Op Tech USA utility strap

Review: OP/TECH Utility Strap-Sling (Customized) - The Phoblographer

OP/TECH USA Utility Sling Strap review

available from numerous sources

there are several different types of slings with different attachments and threads discussing them on the forums
07-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #10063
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Domke 1 1/2"Gripper Strap

Domke Post Office Shoulder Pad Accessory

Last edited by monochrome; 07-20-2017 at 11:16 AM.
07-20-2017, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #10064
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I couldn't resist picking this up... a new / old-stock MZ-M (ZX-M) body, missing the box (unfortunately) but complete with all the paperwork, bits and pieces in unopened bags, including the original batteries. Even the card insert is still in the rear of the camera. It's no K1000 in terms of build quality, but functionally not so different - and it looks cute Just £23 / $30 including shipping, which I figure is about the going rate, but in this unused condition I feel I still got something of a bargain

I'm eager to try it out, but just had steroid injections in my hips and - more importantly - right elbow, and I'm told I have to rest
Attached Images

07-20-2017, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #10065
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I couldn't resist picking this up... a new / old-stock MZ-M (ZX-M) body, missing the box (unfortunately) but complete with all the paperwork, bits and pieces in unopened bags, including the original batteries. Even the card insert is still in the rear of the camera. It's no K1000 in terms of build quality, but functionally not so different - and it looks cute Just £23 / $30 including shipping, which I figure is about the going rate, but in this unused condition I feel I still got something of a bargain

I'm eager to try it out, but just had steroid injections in my hips and - more importantly - right elbow, and I'm told I have to rest
Let me know how you like it. I still have mine, it was given to me by a friend in mint condition, but the shutter broke at the start of the first role of film I put in it.

It's probably the lightest SLR ever.