Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #10351
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Bought 5 pair pack of Eclipse Glasses from Amazon. Amazon just emailed they are fakes, refunded my money and advised not to use them. No eclipse viewing for me . . . . .
Take a large piece of thin cardboard. Make a pinhole in it. Let the image project onto a white piece of cardboard. Then simply watch that image. Least expensive way to view it.

Or Number 14 or higher welding goggles should work too.

Or take a piece of glass and a candle. Coat the one side of the glass with soot by holding the candle flame near it. Then use that.

Plenty of things that can be used as filters laying around the average household. Colored pieces of plastic etc. Just stack them up.

I once photographed an annular eclipse by taking a piece of opaque plastic and cutting a 1" hole in the center and covering the front element of my old Sigma 400mm f5.6 lens. This greatly reduced the amount of light even entering the lens. A few additional ND filters over the lens entrance and I was good to go.
I wore sunglasses to focus. With the LCD screen on modern DSLR's it is even easier.

For me I am simply going to drag out my 40+ year old Jason Astronomical telescope. I will set it up, use the 90 degree mirror attachment and eyepiece and project it onto the white solar viewing card that came with it. I used this a few years ago to watch Venus transit across the sun. I think we will get 70% coverage where we live.

08-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #10352
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've decided with all my vision issues I'm going to pass on the whole thing and look at everyone else's photos.

My employer is giving no time off but did issue a "safety talk" listing precautions to prevent eye damage etc.
It's basically CYA on their part, because we all know that somewhere, someone (many?) will claim injury...

Chris
08-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #10353
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Take a large piece of thin cardboard. Make a pinhole in it. Let the image project onto a white piece of cardboard. Then simply watch that image. Least expensive way to view it.

Or Number 14 or higher welding goggles should work too.

Or take a piece of glass and a candle. Coat the one side of the glass with soot by holding the candle flame near it. Then use that.

Plenty of things that can be used as filters laying around the average household. Colored pieces of plastic etc. Just stack them up.

I once photographed an annular eclipse by taking a piece of opaque plastic and cutting a 1" hole in the center and covering the front element of my old Sigma 400mm f5.6 lens. This greatly reduced the amount of light even entering the lens. A few additional ND filters over the lens entrance and I was good to go.
I wore sunglasses to focus. With the LCD screen on modern DSLR's it is even easier.

For me I am simply going to drag out my 40+ year old Jason Astronomical telescope. I will set it up, use the 90 degree mirror attachment and eyepiece and project it onto the white solar viewing card that came with it. I used this a few years ago to watch Venus transit across the sun. I think we will get 70% coverage where we live.
These are great ideas. I think I'll use the pinhole method projected on some foam core.*

FWIW, I've lost 95% of my visual acuity to Glaucoma. I can still do everything - drive, photograph, read - but my Opthalmalogist suggests this is one of the small things I just shouldn't do. The risk isn't worth it.
08-16-2017, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #10354
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone so inclined might build a camera obscura large enough to accommodate a group of eclipse observers/partiers.
It wouldn't be too hard to set one up in the field using a large rented tent, dining fly etc.

Chris

08-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #10355
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I drive an Invisible Dad automatic Honda Accord.

Using the left foot while driving is like riding a bike. While I helped my 33 year old daughter to buy her first car recently (lived in New York for ten years) I got bored waiting for her to finish her test drives. Sensing my frustration her salesman held out keys to a MX-5 Miata RT and asked "Stick or auto?"

I replied, "You have to ask?"
Do you use one foot on two pedals simultaneously (brake and accelerator)?
08-16-2017, 10:05 PM   #10356
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Someone so inclined might build a camera obscura large enough to accommodate a group of eclipse observers/partiers.
It wouldn't be too hard to set one up in the field using a large rented tent, dining fly etc.

Chris
At my previous university the physics department did that. Worked out well, and made a completely safe way to observe what was happening.

BTW: all the talk of filters is focused on making it visually dark. No-one has talked about ensuring that the UV cut is sufficient to avoid UV damage to the eye - which makes you just as blind in the visual spectrum. Arc welding glass is not suitable because it is rated for the arc welding part of UV spectrum, not the solar characteristics.
08-17-2017, 04:23 AM   #10357
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
At my previous university the physics department did that. Worked out well, and made a completely safe way to observe what was happening.

BTW: all the talk of filters is focused on making it visually dark. No-one has talked about ensuring that the UV cut is sufficient to avoid UV damage to the eye - which makes you just as blind in the visual spectrum. Arc welding glass is not suitable because it is rated for the arc welding part of UV spectrum, not the solar characteristics.
You are partially correct. Not all welding glasses are safe. According to the "experts", welding glasses with shade 12 or higher are safe. Shade 13 is the best, but not all that easy to find. So check the shade number first.

08-17-2017, 05:01 AM   #10358
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Do you use one foot on two pedals simultaneously (brake and accelerator)?
I don't heel and toe a Honda, no.
08-17-2017, 04:28 PM - 3 Likes   #10359
Veteran Member

I didn't really intend this, but I wanted a 50mm. I loved my F 28, so I figured another F, but 1.4 or 1.7? Well apparently both. I was looking for a 1.4 but they they were uncommon and usually overpriced a F50/1.7 was listed for $115 with an SF10 attached, so I figured what the heck, and bought it. Then I saw two F50/1.4s listed as actual auctions. So I ended up winning one of them for about $160.

A few days ago, another forum member said he had 200 50mm lenses, so having two isn't too redundant, right?

BTW, I love the industrial design on the F series, so I figured I might try some of the other primes like the two macros--50 and 100, and the 135. Are any of the F zooms any good, the reviews suggest they are a pretty mixed bag compared to the primes?

Last edited by abruzzi; 07-06-2018 at 10:05 AM.
08-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #10360
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I don't heel and toe a Honda, no.
I heel and toe everything I drive that has a manual transmission. Even did it in Monstro when the left foot was working the clutch from a stop. Then I used the left foot on the brake sometimes while the right foot worked the throttle for downshifting Once rolling, the clutch pedal is not used for shifting in big trucks).
08-17-2017, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #10361
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I heel and toe everything I drive that has a manual transmission. Even did it in Monstro when the left foot was working the clutch from a stop. Then I used the left foot on the brake sometimes while the right foot worked the throttle for downshifting Once rolling, the clutch pedal is not used for shifting in big trucks).
When there are three pedals I blip the throttle with the outside of my right foot for 3:2 and 2:1 (especially) downshifts. I generally don't double upshifts on a modern manual transmission.

All of which is quite academic since I drive the sloppy 6-speed Honda autobox.

The Miata had metal pedals correctly positioned for throttle modulation but my business shoes were too wide to really do it right. They've designed the car perfectly to hook a well-to-do old guy who bought an MGB after college and sold it for part of the 1st house down payment. $30,000 +/- and lots of fun on the street, but not a Z or a SLC (Sunbeam Tiger will do for me).

Last edited by monochrome; 08-17-2017 at 07:09 PM.
08-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #10362
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I didn't really intend this, but I wanted a 50mm. I loved my F 28, so I figured another F, but 1.4 or 1.7? Well apparently both. I was looking for a 1.4 but they they were uncommon and usually overpriced a F50/1.7 was listed for $115 with an SF10 attached, so I figured what the heck, and bought it. Then I saw two F50/1.4s listed as actual auctions. So I ended up winning one of them for about $160.

A few days ago, another forum member said he had 200 50mm lenses, so having two isn't too redundant, right?

BTW, I love the industrial design on the F series, so I figured I might try some of the other primes like the two macros--50 and 100, and the 135. Are any of the F zooms any good, the reviews suggest they are a pretty mixed bag compared to the primes?
Only two 50s? I've got 26 lenses from 40-60mm, not counting the pinhole and toy lenses: Tim's Home Page · Camera Lenses

I do like the look of the F-series lenses, with the exception of the ugly FA-like kits, like the 35-80mm.

As for the F zooms, I only have the kit zoom, so I can't really tell you from that alone
08-17-2017, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #10363

Ok, latest acquisition... not photo device, but for photos - a new laptop, because the old one was constantly choking with PS and astrophotos blending and merging... still paying for this, though, but should last quite a bit. 32GB RAM instead of 8GB, and 15.6" IPS screen instead of 13.3.

Last edited by Evie; 08-17-2017 at 07:37 PM. Reason: added details
08-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #10364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Only two 50s? I've got 26 lenses from 40-60mm, not counting the pinhole and toy lenses: Tim's Home Page · Camera Lenses
Well, I do have a DA40, I also want to get the 50 macro, after that, I need some more wide. DA15 is probably next.
08-18-2017, 03:18 AM   #10365
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

All of which is quite academic since I drive the sloppy 6-speed Honda autobox.
even more academic since Honda is now moving away from slushy automatics to even slushier CVT's - it's a nice transmission, but still getting used to its quirks....