repaired AC unit

09-14-2017, 09:46 AM - 2 Likes   #10547
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
not photography related but makes us happy

repaired AC unit

And we are getting ready to service the FURNACE! Where did summer go? Missed a lot of it with smoky air.
09-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #10548
Pentaxian

5 rolls of developed color film, and cds with scans:
  • A roll of 620 film that came inside of an Argus 75 box camera -- all frames underexposed to uselessness, oh well. At least I got my 620 spindle back
  • 2 rolls of 7-year expired 12-shot Fujifilm 100
  • 2 rolls of fresh Fujifilm C200
09-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #10549
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
And we are getting ready to service the FURNACE! Where did summer go? Missed a lot of it with smoky air.

the chimney-sweep will be here next week.... and I've already brought home one load of firewood for the stove...

09-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #10550
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

having grown up in east central Illinois until I was 22 ( 1979 ) and then living in Iowa until 2001,

getting adjusted to Kansas ( land of the south wind people )

http://americanindiansource.com/indianed/statesnames.html

took some time

I remember in January 2001 talking to a neighbor about how " rough " the winters could be, he was telling me they could be bad -

it was mid 70's and I was in shorts and a t shirt at the time

since we have lived here I can remember only a few times that we had snow on the ground longer than 3 - 4 days at a time.

this week, the high temps were in the 80's

and the AC went out.
09-14-2017, 03:18 PM - 2 Likes   #10551
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ahh. Indian Summer. I broke out flannel pajamas Friday but they're going back in the drawer tonight.
09-14-2017, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #10552
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
SMC K 28mm F2

I found this at a local reseller of "geek toys" for only $169. What a surprise!

It is in pretty good shape. Very nice externally, all internals work just fine. There are only a very few specs of dust near the outer edge. (Those are reflections in the front view below)

I have only taken a few test pics so far, can't wait to give it a proper test!

I have already ordered the proper front cap, thanks to another user, monochrome
Now to track down the rear cap, hood, and that elusive optional hard case...

09-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #10553
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FarmerJim Quote
I found this at a local reseller of "geek toys" for only $169. What a surprise!

It is in pretty good shape. Very nice externally, all internals work just fine. There are only a very few specs of dust near the outer edge. (Those are reflections in the front view below)

I have only taken a few test pics so far, can't wait to give it a proper test!

I have already ordered the proper front cap, thanks to another user, monochrome
Now to track down the rear cap, hood, and that elusive optional hard case...
Congratulations! Seen several of these lately - but none this nice
09-15-2017, 03:55 AM - 2 Likes   #10554
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black Pentax KM with SMC Pentax 55/1.8 lens

Body is very clean but not perfect i.e. there's little to no brassing,
just a few small chips of paint missing on the peak of the prism cover.

eBay seller is an antiques dealer inexperienced in SLR cameras.
It is unknown working condition. I took a chance and made
an offer because you seldom see clean black KMs lately.

Wish me luck that it works or is repairable.
I am confident Eric can make it work.

Chris
09-15-2017, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #10555
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the chimney-sweep will be here next week.... and I've already brought home one load of firewood for the stove...
Too bad you are not nearby. I have loads of ash and ironwood (bois d'arc) wood to give away!
09-15-2017, 04:44 AM   #10556
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Too bad you are not nearby. I have loads of ash and ironwood (bois d'arc) wood to give away!
that is a shame - surely you could sell it off?
09-15-2017, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #10557
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
that is a shame - surely you could sell it off?
We split it up and give it away to some folks in our church who heat with wood. Also, I have been using some of it to burn out stumps. I put a large metal truck wheel rim around the stump, pour in a quart or so of used motor oil to soak into the stump, and then burn ironwood or ash in the rim for a couple of days--the stump is usually burned down to 6-8 inches below the ground surface--good enough for my purposes. We just got at least a cord of wood from a single tree that fell across our creek--tree is/was almost 50 inches in diameter and around 65 feet tall, real monster. I also have at least six dead ash trees, victims of emerald green ash borer, that are being removed today. We will be covered up with neatl stacked cords of firewood, probably about 5-6 cords. I no longer heat with wood so I am happy to get rid of it.
09-15-2017, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #10558
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
We split it up and give it away to some folks in our church who heat with wood. Also, I have been using some of it to burn out stumps. I put a large metal truck wheel rim around the stump, pour in a quart or so of used motor oil to soak into the stump, and then burn ironwood or ash in the rim for a couple of days--the stump is usually burned down to 6-8 inches below the ground surface--good enough for my purposes. We just got at least a cord of wood from a single tree that fell across our creek--tree is/was almost 50 inches in diameter and around 65 feet tall, real monster. I also have at least six dead ash trees, victims of emerald green ash borer, that are being removed today. We will be covered up with neatl stacked cords of firewood, probably about 5-6 cords. I no longer heat with wood so I am happy to get rid of it.
Cordwood seems like a good way to heat. We started decades back using a box stove to heat our place. Purchased outer trimmings from a lumber yard (lots of bark relative to good wood) and cut them myself into short pieces, initially using a bow saw (laborious) then an electric chainsaw (surprisingly good device; totally adequate for 95% of those outer slabs). Later got a big cordwood burning furnace that distributed heat through duct work and had both a fan-forced draft and a remote thermostat, but the fire still had to be started by hand with kindling. Also started purchasing pre-cut wood (quality variable = sometimes well seasoned, sometimes a bit too green to burn easily and efficiently) which eliminated weeks of labor. But the remaining labor (stacking, stacking; charging the furnace up to four times on a cold day; fussing and fussing to get a fire started in wood not quite dry enough) and the MESS eventually wore me down and I replaced the cord-wood furnace with a pellet furnace. Much easier to load, much cleaner, much easier to run (has an ignition system and the pellets are always properly dry), and even on the coldest days only two fillings needed. Financially, it's probably only marginally less expensive than heating with oil considering the drop in price after fracking. However, the built-in heating system originally in the house is electric....................... The box heater is still in the living room, and I keep some fuel for it at all times against the possibility of an electric outage. It was a blessing after the Halloween ice storm that cut electricity for a full week, providing both heat (that week the temps were below freezing most of the time) and a hot stove for cooking.
09-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #10559
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Heating with wood

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Cordwood seems like a good way to heat. We started decades back using a box stove to heat our place. Purchased outer trimmings from a lumber yard (lots of bark relative to good wood) and cut them myself into short pieces, initially using a bow saw (laborious) then an electric chainsaw (surprisingly good device; totally adequate for 95% of those outer slabs). Later got a big cordwood burning furnace that distributed heat through duct work and had both a fan-forced draft and a remote thermostat, but the fire still had to be started by hand with kindling. Also started purchasing pre-cut wood (quality variable = sometimes well seasoned, sometimes a bit too green to burn easily and efficiently) which eliminated weeks of labor. But the remaining labor (stacking, stacking; charging the furnace up to four times on a cold day; fussing and fussing to get a fire started in wood not quite dry enough) and the MESS eventually wore me down and I replaced the cord-wood furnace with a pellet furnace. Much easier to load, much cleaner, much easier to run (has an ignition system and the pellets are always properly dry), and even on the coldest days only two fillings needed. Financially, it's probably only marginally less expensive than heating with oil considering the drop in price after fracking. However, the built-in heating system originally in the house is electric....................... The box heater is still in the living room, and I keep some fuel for it at all times against the possibility of an electric outage. It was a blessing after the Halloween ice storm that cut electricity for a full week, providing both heat (that week the temps were below freezing most of the time) and a hot stove for cooking.
Sounds a little like my history. When we moved here in 1981, it was an all-electric house, and in the dead of Ohio winter, it would cost around $800 in electricity to keep the house half-way comfortable. There was a fireplace so I built a Sotz barrel stove using a kit sold for that purpose. Surprising how much heat a 55 gallon barrel stove can put out! Except under cold and windy conditions, I could hold 70 degrees downstairs and around 66 degrees upstairs. I used the log cutoffs too with a chain saw to cut to length. It was messy and did not work too well when I travelled away from home during the winter.

I finally got a 95% efficiency propane central AC/heat system, and heat for an average of about $115 per month. No vestiges of wood heat in the house now, and I have installed propane-fueled artificial logs in the fireplace. I do not miss the wood, but it answered my necessity at the time.
09-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #10560
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Black Pentax KM with SMC Pentax 55/1.8 lens

Body is very clean but not perfect i.e. there's little to no brassing,
just a few small chips of paint missing on the peak of the prism cover.

eBay seller is an antiques dealer inexperienced in SLR cameras.
It is unknown working condition. I took a chance and made
an offer because you seldom see clean black KMs lately.

Wish me luck that it works or is repairable.
I am confident Eric can make it work.

Chris
BooYah.