Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2017, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #10576
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
planning on doing so... but curious as to the specific request....
Red is absolutely the most difficult color for me to shoot.

09-19-2017, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #10577
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Red is absolutely the most difficult color for me to shoot.
Seems to be the case for Pentax DSLRs in general...
09-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #10578
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just received a Pentax RF converter with case to fit my Spotmatic F. The converter is in excellent condition, clear optics, even the case is good. This helps to round out my M 42 outfit, which along with the Spottie includes (all SMC so they are full aperture) the 50mm f1.4, 28mm f3.5, and 135mm f3.5. Now if I could score an 85mm SMC that I could afford.....
09-19-2017, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #10579
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, often vibrant deep red is washed out and lacks detail on a Sony sensor and perhaps even Pentax's in-camera jpeg processing on my K10D CCD sensor was questionable. It is a pretty well known Pentax issue. Nevertheless the K35/3.5 offers a malleable Red channel in RAW to play with.

I'll dig around for some K35 samples or do some new images (one or the other) for us.

09-20-2017, 04:29 AM - 3 Likes   #10580
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K35/3.5

I like it...
09-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #10581
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Seems to be the case for Pentax DSLRs in general...
OK, it's not just me then.
09-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #10582
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
OK, it's not just me then.
nope - we are all cursed with it...

09-20-2017, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #10583
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect that Pentax deliberately reduces the intensity of the red channel to reduce the chances of blowing out the reds. If you do a search/Google on "DSLR red channel" you will find yourself reading pages and pages about how to avoid blowing out the reds. It is a sensor problem, it is a common problem. It is much easier to add a bit of punch than to recover from blown out exposures.

I shoot RAW. I use Lightroom. I import the photos with Adobe's camera defaults. If I find my reds are a bit dull, the Develop module is my friend where I add a bit of juice to the reds. Check out EagleEm's images: the reds are gorgeous. Em knows how to do it. I am sure help is there for the asking.
09-20-2017, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #10584
Pentaxian

Vintage lenses usually do better with reds in general, I find. The newer contrastier coatings really blow out the reds quite a bit. My SMC-A 70-210 f4 seems particularly good with reds (and blues), and my Rikenon lenses also seem to handle it well, while still giving rich greens. Another lens that does well with reds is the K 55 f2 (I assume the f/1.8 is the same) - since the reds are toned down in these lenses, they make for particularly pleasing portraits and skin tones, too.
09-20-2017, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #10585
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Vintage lenses usually do better with reds in general, I find. The newer contrastier coatings really blow out the reds quite a bit. My SMC-A 70-210 f4 seems particularly good with reds (and blues), and my Rikenon lenses also seem to handle it well, while still giving rich greens. Another lens that does well with reds is the K 55 f2 (I assume the f/1.8 is the same) - since the reds are toned down in these lenses, they make for particularly pleasing portraits and skin tones, too.
In my observation the version of SMC used on K-series lenses renders noticably warmer than the versions on M and later lenses - the A lenses seem particularly cooler to me, especially the 50/1.4.
09-20-2017, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #10586
Veteran Member

All of this discussion now means I have to try shooting something Red, as I've never noticed anything odd.
09-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #10587
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In my observation the version of SMC used on K-series lenses renders noticably warmer than the versions on M and later lenses - the A lenses seem particularly cooler to me, especially the 50/1.4.
I agree... but even in my limited experience, which is nothing compared to yours, I've seen exceptions. The K 24 2.8 that I had rendered somewhat cool for a K lens, and my A 70-210 f4 renders warmer tones than I would expect, especially considering the A coatings do bring out some beautiful blues but that doesn't cool down the entire image.

I'll agree that the A 50s have a rendering that is almost too cold, my experience being with the A 50 1.7 but I've seen the A 50 1.4 rendering similarly.
09-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #10588
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

EagleEm reds

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I suspect that Pentax deliberately reduces the intensity of the red channel to reduce the chances of blowing out the reds. If you do a search/Google on "DSLR red channel" you will find yourself reading pages and pages about how to avoid blowing out the reds. It is a sensor problem, it is a common problem. It is much easier to add a bit of punch than to recover from blown out exposures.

I shoot RAW. I use Lightroom. I import the photos with Adobe's camera defaults. If I find my reds are a bit dull, the Develop module is my friend where I add a bit of juice to the reds. Check out EagleEm's images: the reds are gorgeous. Em knows how to do it. I am sure help is there for the asking.
Yes, EagleEm posts some beautiful red roses and other flowers. Wish he would post an on-line instruction set on how he does it!
09-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #10589
Pentaxian

The shutter on my Minolta SRT-101 jammed, so I bought a Minolta X-370, with a Five Star 35-70mm lens, and a winder.

The winder also works on my XG-A.

I wonder if non-rubberized horizontal-plane shutters are more prone to snagging and jamming than rubberized ones...
09-22-2017, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #10590
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
An AF Nikkor, 50mm f1.8 - nothing special as 50mm lenses go, but it's full frame 35mm, appears to be adequately sharp, and it's old enough that it still has manual aperture control if I need it, unlike most modern Nikkors. A little more than I wanted to spend at £55, but well below the average eBay price so I should be able to sell it on if I decide I don't need it after all.