Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2017, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #10771
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote

My POS Mazda was totaled by a maniac that ran a red light by TEN seconds.
Ten seconds is an eternity.

Try waiting ten seconds after a light turns green before proceeding and see how many impatient people behind you start blowing their horn.

10-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #10772
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, today's acquisition was not really voluntary - I answered the front door for the postman this morning and the inner flat door blew shut behind me. Needless to say the occupants of the other flat were out and my keys were inside the flat, so I had to break a pane of glass in the door to get back in. Had to spend £19 on a pane of wire-reinforced glass to replace it - luckily there's a glass shop a few hundred yards from here so it wasn't as bad as it might have been.
10-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #10773
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Well, today's acquisition was not really voluntary - I answered the front door for the postman this morning and the inner flat door blew shut behind me. Needless to say the occupants of the other flat were out and my keys were inside the flat, so I had to break a pane of glass in the door to get back in. Had to spend £19 on a pane of wire-reinforced glass to replace it - luckily there's a glass shop a few hundred yards from here so it wasn't as bad as it might have been.
I've had days like that.
10-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #10774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More boring computer stuff, my scratch disk arrived.
Samsung 500GB 850 Evo 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-75E500B/AM B&H

10-17-2017, 09:30 PM - 4 Likes   #10775
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Replaced an ancient Sony with a blown left pre-amp

This was the top <$300 recommended receiver/amp. Tomorrow I'll hook up the speakers and input devices. I tested quickly in a test bed mode, and everything works fine. Tomorrow I'll get some good speaker wires and finish setting it up. The remote is a bit wimpy, so I have to rearrange things so that I can run it without getting out of my chair. (I don't need exercise enough to do that: my exercise meter says I did 12,275 steps over 9.1 km today on a walk with my wife.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-18-2017, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #10776
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I'm getting a Samsung 500Gb SATA version for my main laptop for my 70th b/d next week - actually the drive is already here, but I can't open it yet!
I put the Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 512GB SSD in the PC I built a few months ago. It's the C drive. Lightning fast
10-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #10777
Veteran Member

Couple of things... my LG G5 was stolen, so I had to replace it. With an LG V20. What a phone. I love the built in headphone-amplifier, the cameras are great (the G5 had a similar ultra wide angle setup, but with 16:9 sensors... the V20 has 4:3 sensors). Software not so great, but everything else is, and I can replace the battery easily. Last high-end phone where that is possible.

My Samsung Galaxy TabPro S Windows tablet dropped from a height of roughly 30-40 cm... slipped out of the keyboard case. The display cracked (not the touchscreen glass, the actual OLED screen). Replacement parts are very hard to get, and the price of the repair is as high as a second hand Galaxy TabPro S costs. Thankfully this isn't the most popular tablet on the market. So... I bought another one. The old one with the destroyed screen will serve as a home theater PC, which I was going to get anyway at some point, and which was going to be relatively expensive anyway so that it has enough performance... the tablet does).

10-18-2017, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #10778
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I put the Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 512GB SSD in the PC I built a few months ago. It's the C drive. Lightning fast
Once you go NVMe there is no going back.
10-19-2017, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #10779
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Once you go NVMe there is no going back.
Sure there is. It's just very sloooow.
10-19-2017, 06:27 AM   #10780
Veteran Member

Thanks! I did not break bones nor did I bleed out but I have things that need to be fixed. Next, allow me to explain the 10 seconds (no, I do not wait that long normally, I do not want to get shot). It is a huge intersection think 6 lanes plus a wide median. I'm in the left lane and the right lane runs out in about 500 feet. I'm in no hurry and I always let the people in the right lane zoom ahead. I do wait 3-4 seconds though normally, for the red light runners. The person to my right in an SUV to my surprise also decided to wait a couple seconds so I figure hey he's not in a hurry. I push on the gas, so does he. I'm still waiting for him to zip by me and merge over. We both proceed into the intersection (which again, is HUGE). This is now 8, 9 seconds without clearing the intersection and I'm a bit annoyed that he did not zoom ahead. I push on the gas (I think, not sure) he saw it coming and hit the brakes. I could not see because his SUV is 5 feet taller than me. Now it is 10 seconds. I see a flash of grill, blackness, a flash of guardrail, and more blackness. That person had to have had their foot to the floor a 1/4 mile back to run the red at 10 seconds. It should have been a reckless driving ticket not a redlight ticket. So no, I do not normally take 10 seconds to clear an intersection, this was an unusual day of circumstances.
10-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #10781
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
Thanks! I did not break bones nor did I bleed out but I have things that need to be fixed. Next, allow me to explain the 10 seconds (no, I do not wait that long normally, I do not want to get shot). It is a huge intersection think 6 lanes plus a wide median. I'm in the left lane and the right lane runs out in about 500 feet. I'm in no hurry and I always let the people in the right lane zoom ahead. I do wait 3-4 seconds though normally, for the red light runners. The person to my right in an SUV to my surprise also decided to wait a couple seconds so I figure hey he's not in a hurry. I push on the gas, so does he. I'm still waiting for him to zip by me and merge over. We both proceed into the intersection (which again, is HUGE). This is now 8, 9 seconds without clearing the intersection and I'm a bit annoyed that he did not zoom ahead. I push on the gas (I think, not sure) he saw it coming and hit the brakes. I could not see because his SUV is 5 feet taller than me. Now it is 10 seconds. I see a flash of grill, blackness, a flash of guardrail, and more blackness. That person had to have had their foot to the floor a 1/4 mile back to run the red at 10 seconds. It should have been a reckless driving ticket not a redlight ticket. So no, I do not normally take 10 seconds to clear an intersection, this was an unusual day of circumstances.
Well I am glad you are ok and feeling well enough to type about it I have heard of much worse outcomes in these same kind of circumstances...
10-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #10782
Pentaxian

• Pentax FA 100-300 4.5-5.6 lens
10-19-2017, 02:26 PM - 3 Likes   #10783
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
645 200mm arrived today

Here it is, my new/used Pentax-FA 645 200mm f 4.0, arrived today in spotless condition, only $206.00 including freight. Now I have just enough daylight left to try it outside. I already have the A version, so will make some comparisons.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-19-2017, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #10784
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That’s some gorgeous kit.
10-19-2017, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #10785
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Shots with 645D and FA 200 f 4.0

Samples from Pentax 645D with new (to me) Pentax-FA 645 200mm f 4.0. All these were taken wide open at f 4.0, and sharpness and rendering at that aperture seem very good to me. Will try some more tomorrow with the lens stopped down a bit.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo