Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2017, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #10876
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
with or without the extension for 1:1 macros?
Without. But it did come with the hood.

11-06-2017, 01:22 AM   #10877
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Without. But it did come with the hood.
Not a big inconvenience
It's just a hollow tube that goes in between the lens body and the Adaptall-2 ring.
With a PK adapter it's much better to use an extension tube (or even better grab a set... cheap and practical).
I don't know how it does behave with the PKA version of the adapter, with electric contact. I'm curious about that, does anybody have a first hand experience?
Even if it doesn't misbehave (read: it behaves like with no extension ring), I would not mess too much with the PKA adapter. They are finicky...
Unfortunately extension tubes with electric contacts are not so common, and not dirty cheap like the all-mechanical ones.
Maybe some Chinese company makes them. I'd happily buy a set if I find a cheap one on the Bay.
I still own two versions of this same lens, the 52BB and a later one in PKAF mount but with the same optics (52E). Long ago I also owned the first version (52B).
I find the optical project to be great, after such long time it's still competitive with current macros in the same focal range.
The only problem is the in/famous light spot that sometimes shows up, due to inter-reflection between the back glass and the sensor cover. Though I never saw it using the K-1, not a single time... but I didn't use it very much, so I'm not jumping to conclusions.
I can say that the results were great, and that for the price it's one of the best film-era lenses on digital full frame.
You'll like it!

Cheers

Paolo

11-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #10878
Pentaxian

And I wasn't going to look for stuff today, but an SMC Takumar/6x7 55/3.5 turned up and I couldn't resist it - appears to be in good condition and hopefully will earn me a few pounds, if I can figure out a way to fit it to one of my cameras to take test shots. And tonight I'm picking up another iMac G4 I won on eBay yesterday.
11-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #10879
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
And I wasn't going to look for stuff today, but an SMC Takumar/6x7 55/3.5 turned up and I couldn't resist it - appears to be in good condition and hopefully will earn me a few pounds, if I can figure out a way to fit it to one of my cameras to take test shots. And tonight I'm picking up another iMac G4 I won on eBay yesterday.
Pentax did make an adapter to fit 6X7 lenses to both K-mount and 645 mount, but even if you could locate one of the former (don't think they were very popular) it would probably be too expensive to justify purchasing just to test a couple lenses.

FYI: went to EBAY and quickly found one for $55, not too bad.

followup: On EBAY also found a Chinese-made 6X7 to K mount adapter new for $46. Probably easier to get cheap, even free shipping to London for that one.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-06-2017 at 11:28 AM.
11-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #10880
Pentaxian

I think I'll probably end up bodging up something - basically it just needs to be held in front of the camera with something to keep the light out for a couple of minutes, I've got some old broken lenses and other junk lying around that can probably be cannibalised to make a suitable spacer
11-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #10881
Pentaxian

I think I'll probably end up bodging up something - basically it just needs to be held in front of the camera with something to keep the light out for a couple of minutes, I've got some old broken lenses and other junk lying around that can probably be cannibalised to make a suitable spacer
In the end I just hand-held it in front of an extension tube, result wasn't perfect but it's just about good enough for an eBay listing, shows that light at least passes through the lens...
11-08-2017, 04:28 AM - 3 Likes   #10882
Pentaxian

No lenses nor SLR's at the thrift store, but this showed up for 7€.

Like new, but a couple of fungus blooms on the front element which I serviced and removed in about a half hour ... very simple construction.

Bad news was that the scope was "paired" with a no-name tripod which was also 7€. Good ol' Gilbert would not let me buy the scope alone, so I had to take both. Oh well, c'est la vie !

11-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #10883
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
No lenses nor SLR's at the thrift store, but this showed up for 7€.

Like new, but a couple of fungus blooms on the front element which I serviced and removed in about a half hour ... very simple construction.

Bad news was that the scope was "paired" with a no-name tripod which was also 7€. Good ol' Gilbert would not let me buy the scope alone, so I had to take both. Oh well, c'est la vie !
Your thrift store is a gold mine!
11-08-2017, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #10884
Pentaxian

A surprise find on Kijiji... Sigma APO 400mm F5.6 (MF, auto aperture)

Forgive the poor composition, a quick snapshot from my cell phone at work.

The price was more than fair, the body isn't perfect but the glass is like new. My longest glass before this was 250mm. Maybe it will stay, maybe it will go, but in the meantime it's going to be fun! Sadly there are clouds today, otherwise I'd see how the Moon looks through this glass.
11-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #10885
Pentaxian

Those Sigma lenses have a very good reputation, but you REALLY need a deep hood if you're going to use it in daylight!
11-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #10886
Pentaxian

Those Sigma lenses have a very good reputation, but you REALLY need a deep hood if you're going to use it in daylight!
It comes with a slide-on hood, so I should be ok.

It's a promising find, for sure.
11-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #10887
Pentaxian

• Pentax P-Z-10
  • Sekonic Auto-Lumi 86 light meter (For my cameras without light meters)
11-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #10888
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Meike D-BG4 (Chinese clone of the Pentax battery grip for the K-7/K-5). From eBay, described "as good as new").
€ 5.- (plus € 5.90 for registered shipment).
I was the only bidder.

I am not sure I will ever really need it, but at this price I could not withstand.
11-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #10889
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
A Meike D-BG4 (Chinese clone of the Pentax battery grip for the K-7/K-5). From eBay, described "as good as new").
€ 5.- (plus € 5.90 for registered shipment).
I was the only bidder.

I am not sure I will ever really need it, but at this price I could not withstand.
I've got one of those for my K-5 - not bad, but if you do ever use it then stick to DLi-90-style batteries as the AA-adaptor has unreliable internal contacts.
11-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #10890
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a delivery from Amazon Smile today

Years ago, when I first became a Cub Scout leader, and then continued to be a Boy Scout Leader, I used rain gear made by Frogg Toggs. The material felt like " Bounty Paper Towels " to me and was very " packable. I had a zip up jacket and bib overall pants.

All these years they have never failed me. I heartily recommend " Frogg Toggs "

the only problem with my existing jacket was no pockets.

so I just upgraded:

Frogg Toggs Hellbender Fly & Wading Jacket, Stone

" The Java Hellbender Wading and Fly Jacket combines classic wading features with the lightweight waterproof performance of our exclusive Java 2.5 material. "

Nylon
Imported
Waterproof breathable DriPore technology
A full-cut, casting design that offers plenty of room for bending and overhead casting
Adjustable, full coverage Hood
4 zippered tippet and accessory pockets

I also grabbed 3 more of these end caps, one a " double " which allows me to have two lenses back to back should I choose.

OP/TECH USA 1101151 Lens Mount Cap - Pentax Single x 2

OP/TECH USA 1101251 Lens Mount Cap - Pentax Double

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-09-2017 at 12:46 PM.