Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #11131

GGS Swivi S6 Viewfinder + Takumar 85mm F1.8

Can't post a pic atm but I JUST received and installed my GGS Swivi S6 Viewfinder (on K1)
and took a couple of test shots with the Takumar 85mm F1.8 I found for 'cheap' locally last week, hurray ) !!

I use manual lenses 99% of the time but find I miss focus too often when just relying on the BEEP/hexagon focus alert.
So I looked for an alternative that would take advantage of focus peaking, which I find works very well.
Since I shoot portraits mainly, no flying birds, this I believe will work well for me.

Cheers!
SoloJoep

12-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #11132

found today at a antique store
Takumar 55mm 1.8 perfect condition with case 20 dollars
M42 mount SMC early 70s edition

Last edited by MJSteele; 12-08-2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: additional information
12-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #11133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Don't get me started about the ***** older Sigma lenses - I won't buy them any more, they get more faults than everything else put together. Seriously, if I see a job lot that is mostly Sigma lenses I just don't buy it, regardless of what the seller claims about the condition. Apart from mechanical and optical problems, you get things like their attempts to back-engineer lens electronics that went horribly wrong.
You appear to have been very unlucky with older Sigma lenses
OTOH, my experience with them has been, for years, entirely the opposite - at least for (mainly) the EX range lenses!. Having early, mainly s/h, versions of the 10-20 F4-5.6, 17-70 F2.8-4.5, (my newest, and really liked, acquisition, just a few months ago!) 70-200 F2.8, 100-300 F4, and 150-500 HSM OS (the age-wise newest, and the one I like least). The only one I have ever had any real problem with was with the AF module on the 100-300 F4 - and that was sorted out relatively quickly and very cheaply (<£70) by Sigma Imaging UK in Welwyn.
12-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #11134
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I wanted one chrome-nosed 6-elements f/2 50/55mm. Ended up winning two of them, a Mamiya Sekor Auto 2/50mm and a Yashinon-DX 2/50mm.
The acquisition is a bit redundant, i know At least i will find out if the two lenses are actually the same... I suspect they are, just with a slightly different livery.
It my suspects are confirmed, even this rather early chrome based/chrome nosed Auto Mamiya Sekor lens will reveal its Tomioka parentage. I'll see and report, this question has been asked a number of times, in different forums.
It will take quite long though, all my US acquisition will be delivered by my wife a few months from now

The real reason to write this post is a strange Ebay story.
Just got a nice Helios 44-2 made in 1971 in the Valdai factory of the Soviet Union.
Tested it and found it's a great performer (one shot is already posted on "Lovin' on Helios 44..." thread).
When i tried to give the feedback i found it was not possible.
I already expected it cause the seller contacted me via email and wrote that he had been kicked out of Ebay for.... too low prices!!
Actually the poor fellow sold his soviet lenses at Ukraine prices, not at the over inflated prices most other vendors from the same part of world sell their merchandise. It seems that the matchless brains who decide about Ebay's policies pay no attention to what's really important, namely if the item is as advertised, if it's actually shipped, if the vendors plays tricks and fails to honor a closed sale, etc etc. If a vendor doesn't respect these basics, then it's a good reason to kick him/her out, but i guess there are more important parameters.
What's paramount is that you have to sell at the same inflated prices other vendors ask.
The result is that an honest seller is kicked out, and i can't even express my gratitude for a great purchase because i'm not allowed to give a feedback for a past (valid) sale. I paid via PayPal, he got the money, everything is fine, but i have no practical way to inform Ebay that the seller is everything but a scammer!
Of course big vendors who give Ebay/PayPal lots of money have nothing to fear. Even when they play dirty tricks Ebay is very reluctant to take some action. Three times i've been told that a lens broke after the end of the auction. Of course the final price wasn't of their liking.... but it seems that Ebay always turns a blind eye in similar situations.
I'm starting to believe that Ebay has a double standard, one for "pro vendors" and one for casual sellers.

This is the first time a nice purchase leaves me with a sour mouth

cheers

Paolo
I've actually seen multiple eBay listings from the same seller for high quality gear (EOS 5D Mark IV, Canon white body teles, top Lieca lenses, etc) all at rock bottom starting bids. Rock bottom being .99 (US) cents, $1, $5... And these listings are for gear that are new or pristine condition. The reason? The seller lists them so low because he's straight out selling them. Check the description and there's a line that say "Do not bid. All bids will be deleted." Then there's a chart that lists the Buy It Now price that he wants and tells you to message him if you want to buy. Priced usually between $1,00 and $2,050. I've always wanted to try to bid on one of his auctions (they stay low) to see if I'd ever win and sort of "stick it to him." He always deletes the listings shortly before the auction ends. I've reported him but he keeps popping back up. There are many reputable vendors and sellers on eBay but people like him smear the whole lot.

12-08-2017, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #11135
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
An example of the people who sell things on eBay:
I was given a non-working Dual 1210 turntable with no cartridge and no base. Audiophile suggests prices should be between $200 and $400 for a working one. There are two on eBay: C$1,667.92+139.62 shipping, C$1540.80+46.37 shipping. On Amazon I found someone who sells parts, including a new base for C$56 shipped. I bought the base, and the turntable is now mounted in it (10 minutes to figure out the mounting screws). I just have to find a compatible cartridge and needle, and wire up the power, check the lubrication and refit a plastic handle for the Start/Stop lever (handle came with it, but not mounted).

I use Amazon, Prime when available. The free shipping and the support blows eBay out of the water. I don't miss the bidding process at all, and I sure don't miss not having to eliminate the ripoff artists from searches.
if you like Amazon Prime, try Amazon Smile

What is AmazonSmile?
AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization. You can choose from nearly one million organizations to support.

?tag=pentaxforums-20&About AmazonSmile: Program details and FAQ

you can get a small % donated to your favorite charity on the items you buy

whether prime or not

not much true but every little bit helps
12-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #11136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Re the Sigma lenses - I generally see the ones that were aimed at the amateur market from the nineties, nothing anywhere near as good as an EX. Basically, if they're actually good lenses they're unlikely to end up in job lots priced suitably for me to buy them, clean them up, and sell them on individually.

Re Helios lenses - I often sell four or five a month, always starting them as auctions at £1.99 plus postage, with no reserve. At the moment I'm selling Raynox adapter tubes for fixed price £1.99 (and will accept less), with some people asking ten or fifteen (and one idiot fifty!) I've never yet had anyone try to report me for "charging too little", and I'm VERY doubtful that this is the whole story.
12-08-2017, 06:40 PM - 5 Likes   #11137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

12-08-2017, 07:01 PM - 2 Likes   #11138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I haven't had a chance to use it other than to focus it. I should not have been surprised by how sharp the optics are, (since Pentax makes sharp lenses,) but I was. Hope this helps my old eyes.
I find the O-ME53 essential for me when focusing with my old tele lenses. Still not as good as a proper OVF from days of yore, but a noticeable improvement over my K-5 II's OVF.
12-08-2017, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #11139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just purchased the 645 FA 75mm and 645 FA 35mm

I already have the A versions of these two 645 lenses, but decided to opt for the FA versions as well. I have used the 645-FA75 previously, but really looking forward to having the 645-FA35 in hand, not that I expect it to be much better than the magnificent A35mm. I have not seen any resolution charts on the A/FA35mm, but the A35mm is seriously sharp, and I am sure the FA35 is just as sharp.
12-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #11140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Surprisingly heavy camera. Mark Hama can fix the Pad of Death.
12-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #11141
Veteran Member

A 7 inch field monitor. I always wanted one for video and macro. This Lilliput A7s is very well featured for the price (AUD$180):

My first [learner model] electronic gimbal (Zhiyun Smooth Q). It's designed for smart-phone video stabilization, and it does a good job at that, but I also hope to figure out a way to make it stabilize my RX-100:

12-09-2017, 07:17 AM   #11142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Re Helios lenses - I often sell four or five a month, always starting them as auctions at £1.99 plus postage, with no reserve. At the moment I'm selling Raynox adapter tubes for fixed price £1.99 (and will accept less), with some people asking ten or fifteen (and one idiot fifty!) I've never yet had anyone try to report me for "charging too little", and I'm VERY doubtful that this is the whole story.
Well, I doubt you end up selling a great (works as new, impeccable glasses) Helios 44-2 for 21 euros, including traceable shipment to Thailand. Do you?
That was the price, BIN, free shipment.
For some Ebay genius it was a clear indication of a scam... but the equivalent of 15 euros is a normal price for Ukraine, and 6 euros is more or less the shipment charge. Of course for the global market it's very convenient, but the cost of any merchandise is relative to a certain balance between demand and offer, and depends on the place (and the economic conditions).
I remember when nobody wanted CZJ lenses and you could buy a brand new 2.8/20mm Flektogon, currently highly regarded, for a crazy low price.
Lots of water under the bridges, since then...

Cheers

Paolo

12-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #11143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Surprisingly heavy camera. Mark Hama can fix the Pad of Death.
Thanks for the name. This camera has the "Pad of Death" problem...It had an old battery in it too...
12-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #11144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Thanks for the name. This camera has the "Pad of Death" problem...It had an old battery in it too...
Mark Hama Ltd. Prior to finding Eric in 2001 I used Mark Hama, but I fear he also is nearing retirement. His wife is a character.

You can do it yourself if you are handy. I have the tools if you need to borrow them.
12-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #11145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Mark Hama Ltd. Prior to finding Eric in 2001 I used Mark Hama, but I fear he also is nearing retirement. His wife is a character.

You can do it yourself if you are handy. I have the tools if you need to borrow them.
I've seen the instructions on the web

Servicing Yashica Range-finder Cameras