Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #11221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
FA 77 arrived yesterday. I took the obligatory cat photo just to test it, but haven't really had time to play with it.
Good luck with this wonderful lens. My wife calls our 77mm our magic lens, and always takes it for her camera when we go on photo expeditions! I hope you enjoy using it as much as we have enjoyed ours.

12-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #11222
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Personally I prefer the army ones, but the airforce one is the one I found for $5.

In fact, I quite like military surplus equipment; it's practical. Right now I'm looking for a battledress tunic to wear with my kilt.
nice i had one of these in black not sure what part of military itt came from....great sweater
12-21-2017, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #11223

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've heard anecdotally that the 44M-4, 5, 6 and 7 series had incrementally better optical performance as you went through the range (44M-4 being at the lower end, and 44M-7 being the best).
I have a Helios 44M-5 built 1999 and I have no resolution complaints wide open, even peeping. It's way better than the 44's general reputation. A real pixie dust lens - if I could only keep one lens in my collection, it'd be that one, even over my Super Tak 50/1.4 or 85/1.9.
12-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #11224
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Got this interesting little book in the mail today... a 1975 publication called "NEW HORIZONS in sight and sound (The manual of OPTICAL AND RADIO EQUIPMENT from the U.S.S.R.)". It was released by "Technical & Optical Equipment (London) Ltd.", the UK importer / distributor for Zenit and other Soviet photography and electronics equipment, and served as their promotional catalogue.

The 143-page book provides lots of information and data on then-current Soviet photography, cinematography, shortwave radio and and microscopy equipment, along with tutorials and advice. The photography section covers compact, rangefinder, SLR and TLR cameras, lenses, light meters and lots more, so there's plenty of interesting stuff to read about for those interested in old gear.

If you like old Soviet cameras, lenses and / or table-top radios, it's worth tracking down a copy

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-21-2017 at 12:36 PM.
12-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #11225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Good luck with this wonderful lens. My wife calls our 77mm our magic lens, and always takes it for her camera when we go on photo expeditions! I hope you enjoy using it as much as we have enjoyed ours.
Thank you very much! I followed your advice on this one
12-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #11226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
I don't think I've ever seen a BX20 - mostly I get BC1 and BCA, from what I've read the BC1 has a lot of the same features as the BX20 but isn't so reliable. The BCA is fully auto only and I would never buy one unless it came with some lenses or something, they're pretty much unsellable. I've seen several bodies with dead electronics, unfortunately, and the lens electronics aren't wonderful either, I think it's just a carbon resistor track coupled to the aperture ring.
Not tried the BX20 (and there's also a BX10 & winder in the cupboard as well!) for a very long time (17yrs) but it was working last time I used it - will see if I can get a suitable modern (i.e, non-mercury) battery and see if it still works. If so I will PM you if you might want to pop over here (Hayes, W. London) and "take a look" if you want to!
Edited!!!!
SWMBO wanted to watch Lumley and Saunders on "champagne" on TV, so I went upstairs and opened the cupboard. The "BX10 + winder" turned out to be a BC1 w/o a winder (my memory!!! ), but - in the end - it yielded a 17+yr old battery that still had over 6V in it! Finally (after other experiments!) put that into the BX20, and that still seems to work - at least on the very slow shutter speeds where you can see the LED display in the viewfinder and hear the difference in shutter-opening times between 1S & 1/2S and so on

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-21-2017 at 03:03 PM.
12-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #11227
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Not tried the BX20 (and there's also a BX10 & winder in the cupboard as well!) for a very long time (17yrs) but it was working last time I used it - will see if I can get a suitable modern (i.e, non-mercury) battery and see if it still works. If so I will PM you if you might want to pop over here (Hayes, W. London) and "take a look" if you want to!
The batteries that seem to work well in the BC range are 4LR44 - but I have no idea on long-term accuracy. They're relatively cheap, about a fiver for ten of them.

12-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #11228
Pentaxian

The batteries that seem to work well in the BC range are 4LR44 - but I have no idea on long-term accuracy. They're relatively cheap, about a fiver for ten of them.
See my edited version of the post above
Edited: did buy a BCA very cheaply at one time, didn't like it and traded it against something (possibly the MTL 5 which is still in that cupboard for some of the M42 lenses, also still "in there"!).

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-21-2017 at 03:17 PM.
12-21-2017, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #11229
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had to have a black GT to go with my chrome GS...

This one doesn't suffer from the pad of death, and the battery compartment seems to be in better condition.

In the coming days I'll be taking delivery of a Konica FS-1, Olympus OM-2n, Hanimex Praktica Nova IB, and a Sears Tower 37a. I need to block shopgoodwill.com...
12-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #11230
Pentaxian

The Lithium equivalent is probably better for accuracy. It's usually called something like 28L, PX28, et cettera.
12-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #11231
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I had to have a black GT to go with my chrome GS...

This one doesn't suffer from the pad of death, and the battery compartment seems to be in better condition.

In the coming days I'll be taking delivery of a Konica FS-1, Olympus OM-2n, Hanimex Praktica Nova IB, and a Sears Tower 37a. I need to block shopgoodwill.com...
Very nice.

12-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #11232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PX28 works fine in the later Praktica models with electronic shutter.
My Minox 35ML cameras use the same 6V battery.

This was once a very popular size as it was used by the Canon A series etc.

The commonly available Duracell brand PX28, once silver oxide, is now lithium.

Chris
12-21-2017, 06:21 PM - 6 Likes   #11233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This will take some serious retraining of my muscle memory after tens of thousands of shots with the K7 and K5 !
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-21-2017, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #11234
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
This will take some serious retraining of my muscle memory after tens of thousands of shots with the K7 and K5 !
You Dawg! Way to make the silver look cheesy!

Congratulations - I think you will like it.
12-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #11235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You Dawg! Way to make the silver look cheesy!

Congratulations - I think you will like it.
Thanks, I think the silver looks fine!

It is so much like the K5 but so much not like it. My head hurts with all the custom settings.