Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2017, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #11251
Pentaxian

I'm in Segovia (100km from Madrid) for christmas/new year/reyes and was very surprised to find, in a country where Pentax is very rare indeed, a used split prism focusing screen for a K3. I bought it for €25 and have still to fit it. It's a chinese one and I don't expect it to be as good as the Katzeye in my K200D but if it allows me to improve my hit rate with manual lenses I'll be very happy.

12-24-2017, 12:29 AM   #11252
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
... a used split prism focusing screen for a K3. I bought it for €25 and have still to fit it. It's a chinese one and I don't expect it to be as good as the Katzeye in my K200D but if it allows me to improve my hit rate with manual lenses I'll be very happy.
I have one of those on my K10D.
Works fine, can't really complain about anything.
Just be attentive when you mount it. These focusing screens are very easy to scratch, and mine came protected by a transparent adhesive foil that left some traces on the screen. My fault, i waited long time before installing it!
I could have tried to clean it, but i was afraid to scratch the surface or damage the plastic using the wrong cleaner. I decided to keep a little spot left by the adhesive. It's a little annoying but it's more psychological than practical. Works well with fast (up to f/1.2) lenses.

cheers

Paolo
12-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #11253
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Christmas Acquisitions

• Candy
  • Clothes
  • Epson Perfection E550 Photo scanner (For non-35mm film, mainly)
  • 5 pack of 120-format Portra 160.
12-26-2017, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #11254
Veteran Member

Peak Designs Camera Capture
Peak Designs Pad
Velbon Hide Clamp
Lowepro Filpside 300AW

All from the Mrs this Crimbo (which means I bought them....)

12-27-2017, 06:05 AM - 5 Likes   #11255
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Woohoo!!

One of my Christmas presents to myself arrived today. I ordered this MIR-1 2.8/37A on the 17th from a seller in Bulgaria. Given postal delays over the holiday season, I didn't expect it to arrive until New Year.

Not to be confused with the MIR-1 and MIR-1B, this 2.8/37A (from the ZOMZ plant) is an altogether rarer lens, with a very unusual diaphragm (see third photo) and a sprung preset mechanism. This one was advertised as "near mint", and I'd have to agree. It's in lovely condition... very clean optically, no marks to speak of externally, and just some light evidence of use on the mount. The preset works great, and there's not even a hint of oil on the diaphragm blades.

Focusing action is a wee bit stiff and uneven... Looking at the various screws on the barrel and mount, I'm fairly certain this lens has never been serviced, so the focusing helicoid will need the congealed Soviet "ear wax" cleaning off and re-lubricating. I don't mind... In fact, I'd much rather have a lens that hasn't been messed around with. I'll aim to sort it out in the next couple of weeks or so.

A nice bonus - the lens came in its original bakelite case, with the model sticker fully intact on the base. Also, the original screw-in front cap, but unfortunately no rear cap. I'll fit a generic one for now, but I'm on the lookout for an original

Very, very pleased with this one
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-27-2017 at 06:41 AM.
12-28-2017, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #11256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recent eBay purchases include:

-SMC Pentax-M 35/2.8 lens

-Nikonos hood/52mm filter adapter to fit UW Nikkor 35/2.5 lens

-Non-hood 49mm filter adapter to fit Fuji X100 camera

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-28-2017 at 07:15 PM.
12-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #11257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Thanks

Just ordered a couple for £3 to check out both Practica bodies again, and they should be here around New Year - don't need any more than 2 because I don't intend to use the bodies much (if at all) and have nothing else that uses that battery size.
I'm evidently an idiot - I've had a BX20 in my spares/repairs box for at least the last six months, I'd completely forgotten about it. Unfortunately completely dead, I think the electronics are fried, but at least it gives me a better idea what they look like compared to the BC1. I'm bunging it out on eBay, there's probably someone out there who can fix it - it just isn't me.

12-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #11258
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Recent eBay purchases include:

-SMC Pentax-M 35/2.8 lens

-Nikonos hood/52mm filter adapter to fit UW Nikkor 35/2.5 lens

-Non-hood 49mm filter adapter to fit Fuji X100 camera

Chris
Nice lens - sharp and agile on my Mint Black MX. Didn’t you just send* me your copy?

* which is why we call it Lens Buying Addiction .
12-29-2017, 04:45 AM   #11259
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
I'm evidently an idiot - I've had a BX20 in my spares/repairs box for at least the last six months, I'd completely forgotten about it. Unfortunately completely dead, I think the electronics are fried, but at least it gives me a better idea what they look like compared to the BC1. I'm bunging it out on eBay, there's probably someone out there who can fix it - it just isn't me.
FWIW, putting it on ebay hardly seems worth the effort - non-working ones there already are £10-£20, and even a working one might only fetch £20-30.

OTOH, my batteries arrived today, so I try them in the BX20 (which seems to work) and the BC-1 (which I don't think does).
12-29-2017, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #11260
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The last of my pre-Christmas purchases landed today, all the way from Ukraine... an inexpensive and very nice little KMZ Industar-22 3.5/50 ("5cm"). Better condition than I'd hoped... optically immaculate, save for a couple of bits of visible dust internally (which I'll remove over the weekend), and with only light abrasions to the chromed barrel from normal use. Focusing is nice an smooth. Diaphragm is slightly stiff, but nothing to speak of. Even came with its front cap
Attached Images

12-29-2017, 06:54 AM   #11261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
FWIW, putting it on ebay hardly seems worth the effort - non-working ones there already are £10-£20, and even a working one might only fetch £20-30.

OTOH, my batteries arrived today, so I try them in the BX20 (which seems to work) and the BC-1 (which I don't think does).
Something like that I list at £2.99 to start, if it actually sells for that I make about a pound (after packaging, ebay fees, etc.) which is better than nothing, but hopefully it'll earn a little more. I'm retired, so the time I spend on this is relatively unimportant.
12-29-2017, 07:59 AM   #11262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My latest is a 40mm Limited, to replace the 40mm XS I dropped and decentered. I found one for a bit over $100 used at Lensrentals.com with a discount coupon and a little birdie let my wife know in early December. A brilliant deal for a Limited. I love the compact size.

Condition was listed as very good with some paint coming off the focusing ring... but I can't even see that. I would have graded it excellent.

12-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #11263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My latest is a 40mm Limited, to replace the 40mm XS I dropped and decentered. I found one for a bit over $100 used at Lensrentals.com with a discount coupon and a little birdie let my wife know in early December. A brilliant deal for a Limited. I love the compact size.

Condition was listed as very good with some paint coming off the focusing ring... but I can't even see that. I would have graded it excellent.
Nice find! I can see wanting to get a replacement for the 40XS, it is a fun little lens for walking around.
I got running water back 10 minutes ago. Well inlet pipe froze just before the pressure tank. Love this February weather in December. Brr!
12-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #11264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Nice find! I can see wanting to get a replacement for the 40XS, it is a fun little lens for walking around.
I got running water back 10 minutes ago. Well inlet pipe froze just before the pressure tank. Love this February weather in December. Brr!
We're getting close to -40 with wind chill today. I fell the pain when you are trying to thaw out those pipes. Of my 77.5 years, 25 were on wells.
12-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #11265
Pentaxian

• Pentax Program Plus (frame counter seems stuck at 36)
  • Pentax-A 50/2 (with aperture ring that works well)