Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2017, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #11266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My latest is a 40mm Limited, to replace the 40mm XS I dropped and decentered. I found one for a bit over $100 used at Lensrentals.com with a discount coupon and a little birdie let my wife know in early December. A brilliant deal for a Limited. I love the compact size.

Condition was listed as very good with some paint coming off the focusing ring... but I can't even see that. I would have graded it excellent.
Picked up a 40mm LTD from Facebook marketplace for 72 GBP. Fingers crossed it's in good nick

Also picked up a Yongnuo 585 to replace all my film era flashes. Already amazed by the improvement on my indoor shots and have started reading up 'how to use a flash' since I never really used anything other than the onboard one on my K-30 and digital cameras before this K3. Loving it so far.

12-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #11267
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian.morgan Quote
Picked up a 40mm LTD from Facebook marketplace for 72 GBP. Fingers crossed it's in good nick
72 quid - really?!

Seriously, if it's fully functional and the optics are OK, I wouldn't be too concerned about the condition at that price. Heck, so long as it's optically good, I wouldn't even be worried if the AF didn't work. The DA40 Limited is a great little lens, capable of fabulous results... What a bargain you've got!!
12-29-2017, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #11268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
72 quid - really?!

Seriously, if it's fully functional and the optics are OK, I wouldn't be too concerned about the condition at that price. Heck, so long as it's optically good, I wouldn't even be worried if the AF didn't work. The DA40 Limited is a great little lens, capable of fabulous results... What a bargain you've got!!
Well, I think that's what I've got see photo

12-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #11269
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I think that's what I've got see photo
Looks good to me - great catch!! Let us know how it turns out?

As I say, for that price I think you can be fairly relaxed about condition - just so long as the optical elements are OK, and an initial glance at that photo looks very promising

12-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #11270
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Looks good to me - great catch!! Let us know how it turns out?

As I say, for that price I think you can be fairly relaxed about condition - just so long as the optical elements are OK, and an initial glance at that photo looks very promising
Arrives tomorrow so we'll see

Gone a bit mad this Christmas. After finding out just how incredible the 16-50 was, I've started scouting for bargains to upgrade my collection to stars and limiteds. Though I still have a soft spot for my sigma 70-300 dg macro , so I'm selling a 60-250 that I don't really need

Last edited by Ian.morgan; 12-29-2017 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo
12-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #11271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Also picked up a Yongnuo 585 to replace all my film era flashes. Already amazed by the improvement on my indoor shots and have started reading up 'how to use a flash' since I never really used anything other than the onboard one on my K-30 and digital cameras before this K3. Loving it so far.
I also have the Yongnuo 585 and really like it. I have little to no experience with flashes outside of tiny built-in things, but I've gotten some good results. Although my attempts at bouncing the flash off my 18' living room ceiling Christmas morning all required at least a stop of exposure in post... still a lot of learning to do.
12-29-2017, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #11272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some more December acquisitions.

The OM-2n came with a junk third party zoom (28-50). It was missing the batter cover ($16 on evilBay ) If I can find an affordable lens (Zuikos are way overpriced for some reason) I might send it to Garry's Camera for a CLA ($50).

The EXA has quite a bit or corrosion in the mirror box. The shutter doesn't seem to be controlled by the shutter speed dial anymore. The lens has fungus, the aperture bladed don't work, and is almost frozen solid. That's what you get when you buy 'as-is'...I have an EXA 500 on the way from Canada and it only cost $12 more...looks much nicer...

The never-ready was crumbling (which is typical), the lens has very clean optics (but sluggish aperture), it will need a CLA and battery conversion (bits of mirror foam on the focusing screen). A guy in Nebraska specializes in Konicas. A bit more expensive than Eric...

12-29-2017, 11:15 PM   #11273
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also have the Yongnuo 585 and really like it. I have little to no experience with flashes outside of tiny built-in things, but I've gotten some good results. Although my attempts at bouncing the flash off my 18' living room ceiling Christmas morning all required at least a stop of exposure in post... still a lot of learning to do.

When I used film I recall bouncing from a card on the flash cost about 1 stop and from the ceiling about 2 stops. And the ceiling required care to look at the colour - the 60s and 70s fashion was coloured ceilings which could colour cast the result, not correctable in colour slides or shop processed prints.
12-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #11274
Pentaxian

My latest is a 40mm Limited, to replace the 40mm XS I dropped and decentered. I found one for a bit over $100 used at Lensrentals.com with a discount coupon and a little birdie let my wife know in early December. A brilliant deal for a Limited. I love the compact size.

Condition was listed as very good with some paint coming off the focusing ring... but I can't even see that. I would have graded it excellent.

What's with all the cheap 40mm limiteds today?!?!?

I paid €200 for mine from a forum member and thought I got a good deal but these prices are making what I paid look like a rip-off!!

I've just this morning ordered an MV1 from a used goods site because I spotted it had an M 50mm f/4 macro on it. Assuming the lens is in good condition I'll be able to sell it at a bit of a profit. I already have the A 50mm f/2.8 macro (which is a lovely lens) so I have no real use for another 50mm macro.
12-30-2017, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #11275
Veteran Member

I've been getting into macro recently, and started off by using whatever I had to hand. I wanted to take it further so I just ordered a four-way macro focus rail and a very cheap ring flash to see how that works out. I found a company advertising on the big river site that seemed too good to be true price wise, but after asking the question on the forum they seem to be reasonable quality so I chanced it. I'll let you know how it goes
12-30-2017, 04:11 AM   #11276
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
What's with all the cheap 40mm limiteds today?!?!?

I paid €200 for mine from a forum member and thought I got a good deal but these prices are making what I paid look like a rip-off!!

I've just this morning ordered an MV1 from a used goods site because I spotted it had an M 50mm f/4 macro on it. Assuming the lens is in good condition I'll be able to sell it at a bit of a profit. I already have the A 50mm f/2.8 macro (which is a lovely lens) so I have no real use for another 50mm macro.
Yes, when I saw mine listed at 100 GBP I thought it was a bargain but had just spent big on a DA* 300 so didn't go for it at first. Others on eBay that day were selling for 110-130 so it wasn't quite bargainous enough. When I saw it had dropped to 72 after Xmas, and all the eBay ones were back up to 200 quid, couldn't resist. The seller had some lovely pics on their Facebook page which I would guess originated from this lens.

I should wait till it arrives before I celebrate though ... not arrived yet.

12-30-2017, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #11277
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A CZJ Flektogon 2.4/35mm for only €93 (including an adaptor I don't need).

On german eBay, these usually go for €120-€150, but it seems on the day before Christmas eve only hard core eBayers would bid.
On the outside it looks kind of used, but optics are clear, aperture ok and distance ring turns smoothly. Resolution/sharpness seems to be ok, but I still have to do some more elaborated tests.

I must be crazy, as I already own a bunch of 35mm lenses:
  • RMC Tokina 2.8/35mm (aperture stuck at 2.8). Quite soft at 2.8. This and the fact I got it very cheap did not encourage me to try a fix.
  • Revuenon special 2.8/35mm (M42). I got it for near to nothing, as the seller had not bothered to clean it on the outside, and it looked terrible not only on the pictures. A good outside cleaning cured this. The IQ was a very positive surprise, but the lens is big and quite heavy. I am not sure about the manufacturer, but it probably was an East German one.
  • Agfa Color 2.8/35mm (K bayonet). These were delivered with the last series of Agfa SLRs in the mid eighties, which were made by Chinon (with camera body design of Agfa). IQ seems to be on par with the Pentax-M 2.8/35mm (no tests, just comparing and pixel peeping real pictures). Unfortunately, no clicks from the extremly light going aperture ring; so one of the former owners probably used it for video.
  • SMC Pentax-M 2.8/35mm. This was one of my first eBay buys, many years ago. It turned out it suffers from the well known slow aperture syndrom. It reacts fast enough up to F5.6, but for smaller apertures it reacts too slow. Just to fix this lens I ordered a set of JIS screwdrivers from the US (Moody), but the screws turned out to be absolutely stuck, so I gave up.
  • Additionally, I own a very big amount of zooms which cover 35mm, but only the Tokina AT-X 2.8/35-70 is fast enough. But it often is too soft at 2.8.

Last edited by RKKS08; 12-30-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Typing
12-30-2017, 04:27 PM - 4 Likes   #11278
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you decide you have all the lenses you need, and resolve not to buy another, truth is you're temporarily out of spare cash.
12-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #11279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
A CZJ Flektogon 2.4/35mm for only €93 (including an adaptor I don't need).

The native M42 version of the 35mm Flektogon is usually quite pricey.

I got a similar deal on one in Praktica bayonet mount.
There is an inexpensive adapter to allow use on M42 cameras.

I'm sure you will enjoy yours. It is an excellent lens.

Chris
12-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #11280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@WPRESTO
If you caught LBA, this cannot happen. Except, of course, there is a SWMBO.

@ChrisPlatt
These are occasionally seen on German eBay (I think labeled Prakticar, not Flektogon, but these are the same lenses). You can get them MUCH cheaper than the Flektogons, just as with the Rollei HFT lenses vs. the West German Zeiss (Distagon?) ones. Is it possible to stack a Praktika-M42 with a M42-PK adapter? The Praktika register distance is 1mm less than the K-mount distance, so it seems barely possible.

Last edited by RKKS08; 12-30-2017 at 04:56 PM.