Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20313 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2018, 03:15 AM   #11386
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
If there's sky showing, best at an angle to the sun; don't overdo it (sky will look odd), careful with the 15mm because if you have a broad swath of sky the degree darkening with the polarizer will change from one side of the image to the other and that won't look quite right.

For things like foliage, to eliminate reflections and increase saturation, just rotate until you like the effect. It's easy to desaturate in PP if the colors seem a bit too intense.

Polarizers are especially good for penetrating water in a pond or stream to see either fish or interesting pebbles etc. on the bottom.

There is advice available for using a polarizer but you're probably best advised to experiment, rotate it to multiple angles for each subject at first, perhaps always. If there's some degree of polarization you especially like you might make a note of the angle, but most of us rotate until we see what we want through the viewfinder.
plenty of advice out there

How to Use a Polarizing Filter

How to Use a Circular Polarizing Filter

How To: Using a Circular Polarizer :: Digital Photo Secrets

What is a Circular Polarizing Filter (CPL) and How to Use it

How, When, and Why to Use a Polarizing Filter

but I agree

you should practice on your own as well as reading about it

01-10-2018, 07:19 AM   #11387

I just purchased A P&B logo vivitar 400 mm 5.6 with case on ebay
waiting on delivery
these versions were t mounts so I can adapt to my Canon 600D or my Pentax K10D Bodies
01-11-2018, 04:34 AM - 4 Likes   #11388
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I just received yet another Industar-50-2.

I've lost count of how many I have (including rangefinder and SLR Industar-50s). This one is a little different, though, in that it's a completely unused copy - the mount threads show no signs of it ever being mounted, the factory lubrication still feels authentic (and perfectly smooth), and it came with the correct KMZ front and rear caps, and KMZ box with correct sticker intact on the base. The lens, a 1983 model, was even wrapped in its original "grease-proof" paper.

I really didn't need it, but it was something of a bargain, and it's nice to have an unused example (it will remain unused... I prefer the 1960s / early 70s versions ).
Attached Images

01-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #11389
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I received the big Minolta job lot I was expecting from the New Year. I now have to decide what I'm going to do with 12 or so Minolta bodies, mostly 505si, ten in this delivery (of which a couple are probably unsellable due to damage) and some others I've purchased recently for their lenses. I'll probably end up trying to sell them as a couple of cheap job lots on ebay, and give them to a local charity shop if they don't sell. Three of the lenses are OK, the fourth is unfortunately the 70-210 which has a faulty zoom ring (though you can pull the zoom in and out manually) and inaccurate autofocus. You can use it manually, though it's a bit of a pain, and I'd imagine that someone will want it to repair it, so hopefully it won't be a dead loss.

And both of the Praktica bayonet lenses in the last job lot turned out to have faults I missed on my first quick inspection - one has bad fungus in the middle elements, which is fairly unusual, the other literally fell apart while I was focusing it; someone must have dismantled it and put it back together wrongly. But I think I'll still end up making a little profit, there are two good Adaptall lenses with PK mounts and a good (if somewhat elderly) Sigma 70--210 in Nikon AF, which ought to go well.

01-11-2018, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #11390
Pentaxian

More Shopgoodwill arrivals

• Honeywell Pentax H3 w/ Auto Takumar 55/1.8 (Body needs CLA)
  • Asahi Pentax K1000 w/ accessories
The K1000 was sort of a surprise. The auction had only pictures of a Miranda Fv, but the title and description said K1000. Considering it had a Buy-it-now price of $19.99, I bought it on a whim.

I was rather surprised to see a slightly dirty, but apparently good condition K1000, A50/2, Focal 1:4 80-200mm, Sigma 2x (KA) teleconverter, bag, shutter-release timer, and two polarizers 49mm, and 55mm. Considering the price K1000s can fetch, I seem to have gotten quite a steal at $28.62, including shipping.

I'm slightly disappointed I missed out on the Miranda, but nothing quite matches the shutter sound of a K1000.
01-12-2018, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #11391
Loyal Site Supporter

Manfrotto Lumimuse 8, "open-box/used" which saved me almost 50%. Just rec'd and it's still in the original plastic packaging. The box had been opened and had seen better days, but to me it looks like something that they may have had in a display case, zero evidence of any use. Shout out to Adorama for yet another good value.

Looking forward to trying this handheld with some outdoor portraits for fill and as an added glow. Fits in the palm of my hand really nicely and serves to cut the cord. It's pretty darn bright with multiple power settings and might just work, plus it came with a set of warming gels which hopefully makes it more useful in the shadows. If not it will still make a great addition on wooded trails. I wish we weren't expecting a cold front and a major temperature drop this weekend....
but I'll get out anyway.
01-12-2018, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #11392
Pentaxian

Portobello Road came up trumps for me - A very nice Tamron SP 70-210 f3.8-4 with a Nikon adaptall mount, and a horrible faulty Cosina SLR (forget the model number, it's going into the scrap box) with a really weird Cosinon 55mm f2.8 lens - the weirdness is that the aperture ring has F2.8 in the middle and F22 to the left and right, you turn it left for manual stopdown and right for the usual M42 rear pin stopdown. Picture below, if I've got the attachment to work properly. Unfortunately it has slight fungus, but it's weird enough that I think someone will want to buy it. I paid £10 for the camera and both lenses so I'm reasonably happy.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D90  Photo 
01-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #11393
Pentaxian

• 3-pack of Kodak Gold 200
  • 80mm/1:4 front element for Kodak Retina III
01-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #11394
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manfrotto 055 tripod and joystick head. Should make astro photography much more convenient !

01-12-2018, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #11395
Veteran Member

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II APO EX DG Macro. Mint with the big case and strap that are required to carry it since it weighs 3 pounds!
Quiet and fast to focus, (even if slow compared to the Pentax 55-300 PLM.) This shot is at 200mm 1/250s f 2.8 ISO 200. It was right at dusk so I am happy anything came out. That and it was 1 degree C with 40+MPH winds. Why the ducks are still this far North I have no idea. SOOC and cropped only.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-15-2018, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #11396
Veteran Member

My Christmas budget goodies arrived today from the big river:

A four way macro focus rail (left/right, front/back), a cheap LED ring flash, and a grab bag of stuff including filters for UV, Circular polariser, Fluorescent, +1 +2 +4 +10 close up, ND2 ND4 ND8, and a couple of lens hoods (all sized for 58mm, one of my favourite lens sizes...).

I have a bit of a challenge with the ring flash, as it's generic with only a single contact it doesn't support PTTL so I'll need to play about with it to see what options I have with a manual macro lens. It has a "light" mode so I may just stick with that and see how much illumination it brings to the party.

As the idea was to create a macro set up for as cheap as possible, I'm quite chuffed with the outcome. I'll have a decent investigation in the days to come (why can't parcels like this not get delivered on Fridays so I have the weekend to play?) but first impressions are pretty good.

Total cost including shipping, just over AU$110.
01-15-2018, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #11397
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks to a forum member [ and my spouse ] I have arranged the delivery in the near future of an " experienced " SMC Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 Limited

it will join my DA 40 F2.8 XS when I decide to get relief from carrying the " big guys "

more details and photos to follow
01-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #11398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More eBay bargains

Canon New FD 35/2.8 lens

Olympus OM2000 body

Chris
01-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #11399
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
thanks to a forum member [ and my spouse ] I have arranged the delivery in the near future of an " experienced " SMC Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 Limited

it will join my DA 40 F2.8 XS when I decide to get relief from carrying the " big guys "

more details and photos to follow
An excellent outcome to your Query!

For your viewing pleasure - DA21 samples.
01-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #11400
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
a really weird Cosinon 55mm f2.8 lens - the weirdness is that the aperture ring has F2.8 in the middle and F22 to the left and right, you turn it left for manual stopdown and right for the usual M42 rear pin stopdown.
I love the aperture control on that Cosinon! It has to be worth saving for that feature alone... I love weird lenses like this. Never seen one with that kind of aperture control... it's quite an elegant solution, actually. I'd be interested to know how they did that mechanically...