Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
UPDATE, we have an UPDATE

re: my detached retina

first post operative visit today

everything is going well

next visit next Tuesday

biggest thing is whether the gas bubble does its job and forces retina back into place so it can reattach

will gas bubble be absorbed naturally in 6 - 8 months

and how much vision is restored once the retina reattaches

02-09-2018, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #11597
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In addition to the SFX/1’s there’s a whole series of Z-/PZ film cameras with the flash shoe over the grip - couple dozen all-in.
Interesting. I wan't aware of them. I have an SF-1 in the cupboard, and always thought the camera was much better balanced with the flash on the grip rather than on the prism.
02-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #11598
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

everything is going well

next visit next Tuesday

biggest thing is whether the gas bubble does its job and forces retina back into place so it can reattach

Saying a prayer for you my friend!
02-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #11599
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
. . . Some suggested that I go for laser eye surgery, but I knew exactly what would happen if the surgery went wrong (1 in 1,000 chance) -- I would be blind, and I knew exactly what that was every time I took off my coke bottle bottoms. No thanks.

true, true

I didn't consider laser surgery for the same fear, did not want to take any risk with the eyes

went from 20/400 ish to 20/20 and 20/25 after the cataract surgeries last spring

I could see the alarm clock at night without glasses

02-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #11600

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

everything is going well

next visit next Tuesday

Thinking good thoughts for you.
02-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #11601
Veteran Member

true, true

I didn't consider laser surgery for the same fear, did not want to take any risk with the eyes

went from 20/400 ish to 20/20 and 20/25 after the cataract surgeries last spring

I could see the alarm clock at night without glasses
Glad to hear it went well Allen, Follow your post op instructions and you will be fine as a fiddle! Sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves when we worry about everything and everyone else.
02-09-2018, 05:03 PM - 2 Likes   #11602
Veteran Member

New lens arrived while I was out fooling around buying food. Sigma 30mm f/1.4 not art. looks a bit worn in the photos but the glass is immaculate and she is sharp. razor thin DOF at 1.4! Surprised that as an EX rated lens, it had no caps or hood. I don't have a 62mm lens cap or filter to go on it so back online to spend more of the tax return! Have lots of rear caps though, so I just need to be a bit more careful and avoid dust and snowstorms.

11 SMUs high!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
02-09-2018, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #11603
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Small Calumet changing tent

Perhaps member monochrome should keep his new transparent SF1 in one of these.
I have heard that particular model is notorious for light leaks...

Chris
02-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #11604
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Small Calumet changing tent

Perhaps member monochrome should keep his new transparent SF1 in one of these.
I have heard that particular model is notorious for light leaks...

Chris
I don’t think it qualifies as a classic tight-tight box.
02-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #11605
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have been scared of going blind since I was diagnosed with Glaucoma on St. Patrick's Day in 1987 also discovered during a routine eye exam for new glasses

I have worn glasses since 1st grade when God paid me back when I called a class mate " 4 eyes " because he had glasses

suddenly I needed glasses too

[ my need for glasses has nothing to do with the fact that everyone in my family needed them ]

since that day in 1987, I have been treated at leading eye clinics in areas that I lived, universities with " experimental " treatments and driven quite a few miles with extremely dilated eyes

you can be sure I follow my doctors' instruction to a " T "

last year about this time, I underwent cataract surgery in both eyes and had artificial lenses inserted

so this too will pass and I will deal with what is what

especially with the help and assistance of the members of this forum

---------- Post added 02-09-18 at 10:25 ----------

Kansas announced it was doing that about 9 months ago starting in October

and has delayed its start

3 different times

and we are running out of time, the date that a KS DL will be accepted as valid id at air ports is rapidly approaching

I have to travel with my pass port since it has my full name, first, middle and last

my dl has, at my request first name Initial only, full middle and last name since I don't go by my first name and to buy air line tickets, I must list, first name, middle and last

Think of that decision to use your middle name as a security feature. People who do not know will do wrong things when they attempt to spoof you.
02-10-2018, 12:26 AM   #11606
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I drove all the way across town to get an eyepiece for my K200.

It is a slow seller for the shop, so the were marked down to one dollar (slightly less, actually). I took three.

Traffic was terrible. Next time I will just pay the delivery fee. Nice shop though. They stock all sorts of strobist gear.
02-10-2018, 05:06 AM   #11607
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
New lens arrived while I was out fooling around buying food. Sigma 30mm f/1.4 not art. looks a bit worn in the photos but the glass is immaculate and she is sharp. razor thin DOF at 1.4! Surprised that as an EX rated lens, it had no caps or hood. I don't have a 62mm lens cap or filter to go on it so back online to spend more of the tax return! Have lots of rear caps though, so I just need to be a bit more careful and avoid dust and snowstorms.

11 SMUs high!
I sometimes wonder if I should have given my 30/1.4 more of a chance when I bought my K3, maybe with some AF fine-tuning it would have done better than it did on the K200D. I'm still glad I chose the DA 35mm limited over it when I first got a 35mm AF prime though. Still, I did get some nice shots from the Sigma while I had it.
02-10-2018, 05:29 AM   #11608
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote

11 SMUs high!
very nice

and always nice to see the SMU used

personally, I have beaten that number of SMU

here:

Your latest acquisition - Page 76 - PentaxForums.com

I used over 30 SMU to measure my D FA * 70-200mm F2.8

but I am sure someone else may have beaten that number
02-10-2018, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #11609
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another Topcon RE Super...

This one was from shopgoodwill...In one of the listing photos you can see that someone had a price tag with $49.99 on it. That was about the right price...I paid more than triple than

The body is in nice cosmetic shape, but there was a corroded battery in it. The film advance lever doesn't snap back, it returns, but it is sluggish.

The lens has a small dent in the filter ring. No big deal. It also has fungus on one of the internal elements. Not enough to worry too much about.

But the aperture ring isn't attached to the aperture mechanism. Turning it has no effect on the blades at all. Pushing the stop down lever on the camera stops the lens full down no matter what the aperture ring is set to. The blades are also slightly non-symetrical when stopped down.

The Goodwill in Columbus, OH did a great job of shipping the camera. It was in the hands of FedEx the day after I paid...It probably should have come with a bottle of Astro Glide too...

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-10-2018 at 11:00 AM.
02-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #11610
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It probably should have come with a battle of Astro Glide too...

too true!