Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #11656

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don’t sweat the SMUs*. Any AMU** will do

* Standard Measuring Unit.
** Alternate Measuring Unit. I’m partial to Oreo’s or Fig Newtons
Awesome, I think I'll use some Jaffa Cakes as an AMU - I think I will still have enough when the time comes .

02-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #11657
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Awesome, I think I'll use some Jaffa Cakes as an AMU - I think I will still have enough when the time comes .
Is that a late New Year's Resolution? In my house, they don't last long enough for FEDEX to finish picking up the acquisition ...
02-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #11658
Veteran Member

Got a B+W Clear 62mm MRC 007M filter Tuesday and a 62mm pinch cap as well as an OEM hood for the Sigma 30mm DC that I just shipped off to be returned! Oops! The hood should sell for what I paid for it and My DA 18-250 gets a new filter to replace the Hoya UV that is in place as protection.
02-16-2018, 06:18 AM - 2 Likes   #11659
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Stock up when the Girl Scouts come around. Theirs are barely edible, so just freeze a bunch for the appropriate occasion.
For several years now the girl scouts have stopped making the rounds door-to-door. Instead they set up a table outside the local grocery store and sell direct, no giving an order then waiting weeks for delivery. They have piles of boxes, stacks of cases (= big brown cardboard boxes with a dozen or more of the individual boxes) and nearby cars filled with more cases. Walk home with enough SMU thin mints to gauge the length of a 1200mm f8, with plenty extra to reward yourself while admiring the stack you made.

02-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #11660
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

now, that's a strategy...
02-16-2018, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #11661
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
For several years now the girl scouts have stopped making the rounds door-to-door. Instead they set up a table outside the local grocery store and sell direct, no giving an order then waiting weeks for delivery. They have piles of boxes, stacks of cases (= big brown cardboard boxes with a dozen or more of the individual boxes) and nearby cars filled with more cases. Walk home with enough SMU thin mints to gauge the length of a 1200mm f8, with plenty extra to reward yourself while admiring the stack you made.

mrs monochrome would have a cow (SMU’s are a prohibited commodity in our house).

An A*1200/8 = 75 x DA40/2.8 XS.

.:
02-16-2018, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #11662
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
[/COLOR][/B]mrs monochrome would have a cow (SMU’s are a prohibited commodity in our house).

.:
Perhaps Pentax can hire the makers of those plastic Japanese sushi food models to manufacture realistic fake SMUs.

Emblazoned with a Pentax logo, these zero-calorie, gluten-free disks would be a spouse-approved addition to every acquisitive Pentaxian's collection.

02-16-2018, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #11663
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

oh, where's the fun in that?
02-16-2018, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #11664
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
oh, where's the fun in that?
Agreed!

I should counter mrs monochrome’s objection by offering to substitute the above-mentioned DA40/2.8 XS as my personal AMU. 9.2mm / Unit. I would need 75 to cover the entire possible range of Pentax lenses. What do you think?

Also, can I get a Judge’s ruling on inclusion of hoods? Yes/No? Detachable vs. pull-out?
02-16-2018, 10:08 AM - 2 Likes   #11665
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here in the mountains they still come to the door, but they come bearing boxes of SMU's -- cash on the barrel head (or in the Girl Scout's hands to be more correct), $5/box. SWMBO laughs at me; I'm a sucker for young ladies selling chocolate cookies. Or anyone selling stale chocolate cookies for charity, for that matter.
02-16-2018, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #11666
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed!

I should counter mrs monochrome’s objection by offering to substitute the above-mentioned DA40/2.8 XS as my personal AMU. 9.2mm / Unit. I would need 75 to cover the entire possible range of Pentax lenses. What do you think?

Also, can I get a Judge’s ruling on inclusion of hoods? Yes/No? Detachable vs. pull-out?
I've always measured without hoods, since the user may be using a different style of hood....
02-16-2018, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #11667
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[/COLOR][/B]mrs monochrome would have a cow (SMU’s are a prohibited commodity in our house).

.:
SWMBO has no problem with me buying them. She does, however, insist that the 15 pounds (7 Kg) I lost in a recent illness MUST stay off. So purchasing is fine; consumption is not.
02-16-2018, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #11668
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An A*1200/8 = 75 x DA40/2.8 XS. .:
Does that include having the 1200mm hood in working position? I want every SMU I can justify.
02-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #11669
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
SWMBO has no problem with me buying them. She does, however, insist that the 15 pounds (7 Kg) I lost in a recent illness MUST stay off. So purchasing is fine; consumption is not.
I can do the consumption - my problem is self-regulation of the consumption *rate*... When it comes to thin mints, I'm pretty much an "Open box, eat box" type. So I have given the Grrl Scouts cash donations instead.
02-16-2018, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #11670
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does that include having the 1200mm hood in working position? I want every SMU I can justify.
See judge’s ruling in Post #11670