Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2018, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #11671
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I can do the consumption - my problem is self-regulation of the consumption *rate*... When it comes to thin mints, I'm pretty much an "Open box, eat box" type. So I have given the Grrl Scouts cash donations instead.
I just get my SMU counterfeits at the Dollar general store for $1.85 a box or at my Hannaford supermarket for $2.19 a box. They are available year round and I like to save my cash for lenses and accessories! Even accessories for lenses I don't have anymore...

02-16-2018, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #11672
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Konica C35V camera (the zone-focus version of the C35 compact rangefinder)

Chris
02-17-2018, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #11673
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Today's car boot stuff: A very nice M42 Tessar, 50mm f2.8 with skylight and polarizing filters and a rubber hood and cap, for £15 - there was a Praktica body attached to it but it's not sellable, it's going in the spares box. And another seller had a x2 teleconverter for M42 for £2. Also some boxed alkaline AA and AAA batteries at £1 for 10 batteries - already used four and they're working well.
02-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #11674
Pentaxian

Another good car boot day - A Super Varexon(???) 200mm f3.9 in M42 fitting and a Tamron Adaptall 85-210, unfortunately with a Contax/Yashica mount, for £12. The Varexon needs a good clean but looks like an OK prime lens if it doesn't have fungus, the Adaptall is very nice indeed.
A Voigtlander Vitessa, horrible condition but working, someone who restures things will probably want it, for £5 with some odds and ends (caps, a hood, etc.) in odd sizes thrown in.
and a Praktica BC-1 with an f1.8 lens (very clean) for £10, good used condition.

Also got a job lot on ebay that includes a Minolta XG1 with a Minolta MD 50mm 1:2, a set of Eos auto extension tubes (Jessops so they may actually be OK), an Eos remote cable, and three rolls of film for £23.50 inc P&P - I've been after a Minolta old mount body for ages, need one for lens tests, and the Eos stuff will be good for my testbed camera.

In less good news the Samyang 8mm lens I bought the week before last still hasn't arrived. It was sent more than a week ago, hoping it hasn't been lost somehow.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 02-18-2018 at 11:10 AM.
02-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #11675

I do believe the Varexon lens is a Korean made lens
I see alot about a 135 2.8 they made on google pages
02-19-2018, 11:08 AM - 2 Likes   #11676
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I managed to snag an F* 300mm f/4.5 for $239 at a local camera shop on Saturday. I'm still giddy about it.
02-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #11677
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
I managed to snag an F* 300mm f/4.5 for $239 at a local camera shop on Saturday. I'm still giddy about it.
Congratulations!

02-19-2018, 11:34 AM - 5 Likes   #11678
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I need to seek help... I picked up yet another Industar-50. I've lost count of how many I have of the 50 and 50-2. Too many, that's for sure.

I took a punt on this one... The eBay auction gave almost no information except to say that the lens and Zenit camera it was attached to were "untested", which usually means trouble. Sure enough, camera and lens were in a dreadful state. Filthy, lens focusing and diaphragm rings almost completely seized, glass infested with fungus. If it wasn't for the fact that the lens body looked to be in nice condition under all of the dirt, I might have simply tossed it.

I've spent hours on this, spread out over the course of the day. The fungus has been removed, leaving nice clean glass. I finally managed to get the focusing helicoid apart with heat and brute force, then cleaned and re-lubricated it. The diaphragm came apart quite easily, but was messy with hard, congealed Russian "ear wax" lubricant, and the blades were pretty dirty. That's all been cleaned, the diaphragm rebuilt and the threads for the diaphragm ring lightly lubricated. Finally, all the body parts have been cleaned.

I think it was worth the effort... It might be one of the nicest examples I own, and I'm pretty sure it's the earliest gloss black version in my collection. At 52 years old, it's older than me and in much better condition
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-19-2018 at 01:06 PM.
02-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #11679
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by zahnski Quote
Of you need more implants I can help you - I‘m a dentist :-)

Do you make house calls?
02-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #11680
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think I need to seek help... I picked up yet another Industar-50. I've lost count of how many I have of the 50 and 50-2. Too many, that's for sure.

I took a punt on this one... The eBay auction gave almost no information except to say that the lens and Zenit camera it was attached to were "untested", which usually means trouble. Sure enough, camera and lens were in a dreadful state. Filthy, lens focusing and diaphragm rings almost completely seized, glass infested with fungus. If it wasn't for the fact that the lens body looked to be in nice condition under all of the dirt, I might have simply tossed it.

I've spent hours on this, spread out over the course of the day. The fungus has been removed, leaving nice clean glass. I finally managed to get the focusing helicoid apart with heat and brute force, then cleaned and re-lubricated it. The diaphragm came apart quite easily, but was messy with hard, congealed Russian "ear wax" lubricant, and the blades were pretty dirty. That's all been cleaned, the diaphragm rebuilt and the threads for the diaphragm ring lightly lubricated. Finally, all the body parts have been cleaned.

I think it was worth the effort... It might be one of the nicest examples I own, and I'm pretty sure it's the earliest gloss black version in my collection. At 52 years old, it's older than me and in much better condition
Do you have a guide for taking apart and re-assembling one of these? I have a silver Industar-50 that has a stuck aperture ring.
02-19-2018, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #11681
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
I'm a bit concerned are the SMU's available in Canada? Or do we have an equivalent measure? I'm just wanting to plan ahead as to how many packages I'll need for my DA*300mm that will be here in the next week or so.

A box of these might work. I picked some up when in Thetford Mines, Quebec some years back. They should be available in Manitoba too.

Or perhaps a package of these.

02-19-2018, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #11682
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Also, can I get a Judge’s ruling on inclusion of hoods? Yes/No? Detachable vs. pull-out?

If a hood is part of the lens, it must be included, and mounted properly.

None of this silly 'hood on backwards in the stored position' stuff.
02-19-2018, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #11683
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
If a hood is part of the lens, it must be included, and mounted properly.
I've got that inscribed on a stone tablet around here somewhere.
02-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #11684
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I've got that inscribed on a stone tablet around here somewhere.
the hood itself on a couple of my lenses is 25 SMU’s
02-19-2018, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #11685
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Do you have a guide for taking apart and re-assembling one of these? I have a silver Industar-50 that has a stuck aperture ring.
I don't... but if you can wait a few days, I'll write something up, post it as an article here and send you the link