Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #11821
Veteran Member

how do you guys just walk in a consignment store and find all sorts of treasures? I went in today intending to buy the 83mm takumar for $20, but not only did they not have the 83mm takumar (imagine that! I should file a complaint) but they didn't have any cameras at all. I went to another consignment store next door to the first one, and they did have some Canons and Minoltas... But still no 83mm takumar for $20...

03-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #11822
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
how do you guys just walk in a consignment store and find all sorts of treasures? I went in today intending to buy the 83mm takumar for $20, but not only did they not have the 83mm takumar (imagine that! I should file a complaint) but they didn't have any cameras at all. I went to another consignment store next door to the first one, and they did have some Canons and Minoltas... But still no 83mm takumar for $20...

The guys who seem to find all the great deals obviously do it a lot! I try to stop in my local stores whenever I am in that town but have not had any luck either in finding that gem of a lens or camera. Living 30 to 55 km away from any town that has a thrift store makes it harder to find those gems also. So, I buy here and New from Adorama and B and H.
03-05-2018, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #11823
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife goes to Estate Sales every weekend. She used to call me if she saw any Pentax gear and read the models and beauty rings. I think the Estate Sale contractors are wise to cameras and send it all to eBay now because she hasn’t seen anything in years.

.:
03-05-2018, 02:48 PM - 3 Likes   #11824
Veteran Member

I have been out doing a little shooting my new KP and used the DA 50 that was a freebie from Adorama and am fairly impressed. Perhaps it is the lack of AA filter and the extra 8MP, but I think that this is just a nice plastic fantastic.
First image is heavy crop of second image. first two are X-posted in Lens sample thread also.

03-05-2018, 03:10 PM - 2 Likes   #11825
Veteran Member

Time to start shooing film again.

The Super Program is in immaculate condition as is the 28mm lens. I'll run a few rolls through it before I think about getting it serviced.

In addition, though I have no photos, I received a Pentax-F 100 f2.8 Macro and a Pentax Macro Focusing Rail so I can start experimenting with macro a bit.

I also ordered ten different rolls of film from B&H (I don't think there is anywhere in town that sells film anymore.) It hasn't arrived yet, so at the moment the Super Program is just decorative...

Last edited by abruzzi; 07-06-2018 at 10:05 AM.
03-05-2018, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #11826

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
20cm or so of the white stuff:

It wouldn't be so bad, but I'm disabled and rely on the benevolence of others to dig me out. This stuff is the heavy wet snow so no one will be rushing to my house with a shovel.
03-05-2018, 03:58 PM - 3 Likes   #11827
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
No K-1 Super for me, I guess. Time to sell some surplus lenses - and maybe all the DA / KP gear.

Acquired this Bad Boy in the Marketplace in apparent near-unused condition from wonderful member @mackattack

It will seriously test my skill with SMU’s
Finally got out to use this lens yesterday for an hour or so.
  • It is heavy, but not uncomfortable on K-1. Definitely a handful in the left hand, but balances well.
  • Focuses faster than any lens I’ve ever had (maybe FA*300/4.5 is equal)
  • Sharp across the frame at f/2.8 and ridiculous at f/5.6 (where I usually shoot)
  • Big honkin’ piece of glass.
  • Hiking to an area where I can use it while also carrying the 24-70 is like backpack trekking.
  • I honestly don’t need most of my AF lenses any more.
Yikes. So that’s what all the shouting is about. Just need a tripod and a volunteer bicyclist.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-05-2018 at 04:07 PM.
03-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #11828
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Finally got out to use this lens yesterday for an hour or so.
  • It is heavy, but not uncomfortable on K-1. Definitely a handful in the left hand, but balances well.
  • Focuses faster than any lens I’ve ever had (maybe FA*300/4.5 is equal)
  • Sharp across the frame at f/5.6 (where I usually shoot)
  • Big honkin’ piece of glass.
  • Hiking to an area where I can use it while also carrying the 24-70 is like backpack trekking.
  • I honestly don’t need most of my AF lenses any more.
Yikes. So that’s what all the shouting is about. Just need a tripod and a volunteer bicyclist.
unfortunately

it's called U Haul, not We Haul or you could call for help
03-05-2018, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #11829
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Wouldn't that make it sort of expensive to measure up e.g. an A*1200?
I don’t know for certain. Girl Scout cookies have gotten pretty expensive.
03-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #11830
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got 2 Patona batteries for £34.99 for my k3. They are described as premium and have a slightly higher capacity than the stock Pentax. By all accounts they are made by the same factory who make wasabi power. The reviews on their other products are very good, one was reviewed at length in one of the online magazines and they were impressed. The company is German but I don't know if that means anything. I will feed back once I have used them in anger.
03-05-2018, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #11831
Pentaxian

Well, this is an odd one - I got a lens I sold in November, a Praktica 70--210 f4-5.6 for their PB mount! To cut a long story short, I sent it to a buyer in Russia. A couple of weeks ago it was returned to me unopened. It was delivered to his post office but he never collected it, so it was eventually returned to me. This gave me an obvious problem - it would cost more than twice what the lens sold for to send it again, and since it was handled correctly by the post offices in both countries I couldn't make a claim for non-delivery. So I sent him an email offering the choice of a refund for the actual cost of the lens (but not the postage) or I would post it out again if he paid for postage again.

Needless to say this was not well-received, and I had to explain about five times that I didn't actually make any profit on postage, that the only service available really did cost that (unless he wanted it sent by a service that typically takes 60 days and only costs about a pound less), that the post office wasn't going to pay for it to be sent again, and so forth. Eventually I think this sank in, but I couldn't get a straight answer on what he wanted me to do.

So today I refunded the price of the lens, and assume that I now own it again. He hasn't got back to me, so I think he's accepted that it's the best answer unless he wants to throw more money at it than it's worth.

REALLY not how I like to do business!

In happier news, I got a couple of auction lots at the weekend which include a fairly good Olympus OM-10 outfit with a couple of lenses (a 50mm f1.8 and a Miranda 75-300 OM fit zoom) and a flash, a nice-looking Steinheil M42 135/2.8, and various odds and ends. Came to a shade over £30 including postage, and they were charity auctions so if it's not as good as it looks I can feel virtuous anyway. Should know in a few days.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 03-05-2018 at 06:34 PM.
03-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #11832
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
. . . To cut a long story short, I sent it to a buyer in Russia. A couple of weeks ago it was returned to me unopened. It was delivered to his post office but he never collected it, so it was eventually returned to me. . . .
I haven't heard such a convoluted tale of import/export since I learned about James Bond's " employment "

Universal Exports | James Bond Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

03-05-2018, 06:44 PM   #11833
Pentaxian

I've had things like it happen a couple of times before, but previously it was because I or eBay had somehow messed up the address. This time everything was right, but the customer simply never checked to see if it had arrived, so I'm not feeling incredibly sympathetic. Given that the usual postage time to Russia seems to be a week to ten days it must have been sat there for a couple of months before it was returned.

The same guy bought two other lots from me, one a couple of weeks earlier, the other at the start of December - I'm praying that the others won't turn up here too. But he never mentioned them, so hopefully it's OK.
03-05-2018, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #11834
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
I've had things like it happen a couple of times before, but previously it was because I or eBay had somehow messed up the address. This time everything was right, but the customer simply never checked to see if it had arrived, so I'm not feeling incredibly sympathetic. Given that the usual postage time to Russia seems to be a week to ten days it must have been sat there for a couple of months before it was returned.

The same guy bought two other lots from me, one a couple of weeks earlier, the other at the start of December - I'm praying that the others won't turn up here too. But he never mentioned them, so hopefully it's OK.
well if he doesn't like it and returns one or the other it won't be

" From Russia With Love "

[ and no, I am not sorry I said that, I'm licensed to pun among other things ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-05-2018 at 07:02 PM.
03-06-2018, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #11835
Veteran Member

Picked up a lightly used Fuji X100T with several batteries and the lens hood and thumbs up last Friday, so far I am impressed and am looking forward to taking advantage of being able to sync up to 1/1000 sec since a lot of my studio shots are done at this focal length
Pretty good in low light too

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2018 at 08:30 ----------

those days are gone, I used to score great lenses for as little as $10 but never see anything now -- and the junk shop i found a couple of dusty deals in (who I am sure were trading at the bottom end of the stolen merch market) had a fire and closed
I think they all wised up and send to eBay -- where there was once regular lot deals that you could score on but not so much now