Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #11896
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

this one is a 2016 GMC Acadia Denali AWD with 35 K miles

sorry I can't afford enough SMU to show scale
Nice. My DiL drives the same vehicle with twins aboard. Loves it! My crazy son drives a Ford Raptor - with car seats

.:

03-12-2018, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #11897
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So I just bought something I had no plans, desire, or budget for. Thankfully, it was fairly inexpensive

My Dad decided a few days ago that he'd like a new compact camera, and he settled on a Panasonic DMC-FT30 tough / waterproof model - but before he would buy it, he wanted to free up some funds by selling his bridge camera that he hasn't used for quite a while. He did a little research on market value, and was fixing to advertise it locally in the hope that someone might be interested.

Well, I wanted my Dad to get his new camera (so did he!! ), so I figured I'd buy his bridge camera to give him the required funds, and then sell it on at my leisure later. He wasn't asking a lot of money, and the camera is boxed and mint (barely used) and comes with some additional accessories - the OEM hood and a couple of OEM filters (UV and ND), extra battery, a nice case etc. I figured I could sell it on quite easily at very little or perhaps no loss.

But here's the problem - it's actually rather good, and I really like it It's a Panasonic DMC-FZ62 with 24x zoom (25-600mm equivalent). It has a tiny 1/2.33" sensor with 16MP crammed in, and it only shoots JPEG... no RAW. But the level of control it offers is very DSLR / mirrorless-like... full PASM modes, custom settings memories, exposure comp, multiple focusing modes, exposure bracketing, burst shooting, highly effective shake reduction, decent video etc. The EVF is much better than I expected, too - really good, considering it's a consumer level camera from 2012. And the image stabilisation is simply unreal... But the biggest surprise for me is the image quality from the combination of lens, sensor and JPEG engine... OK, it's no DSLR, but my, oh my, it produces *lovely* images - especially with the NR reduced to minimum and sharpness set at +1. The level of detail it resolves is better than it has any right to be. The lens is sharp as can be, right through its entire range.

If it would shoot RAW too, this thing would be totally amazing. As it stands, it's simply very good indeed. Too good, I think, to sell. It would make a great little camera to carry in the car on days where photography isn't my primary concern. Of course, I have other cameras for that already... but this one is as good or better in terms of IQ, and the focal length range is way more versatile.

Rats... I didn't expect to like this camera, and I need to keep my dwindling budget free for the few (and increasingly rare) lenses I'm still looking for... oh well

Footnote: My Dad received his new Panasonic DMC-FT30 today and he's over the moon with it. I must say, the build quality is amazing - the whole thing feels like it's metal. Image quality is... well, about what you'd expect from a budget 16MP compact, but he's happy It's a lovely bit of kit for what it is. Maybe in a few years, when he's after something new, I'll buy that from him too... because I obviously need another camera

Apologies for the dreadful photo... I have a bulb out in the room, so ISO setting on the Q7 is sky high

The second image was taken with the FZ62 at ISO 100 and an equivalent focal length of 180mm, with no additional sharpening, NR or other processing applied. It looks great at anything from 1:2 reproduction or smaller... crazy...
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-12-2018 at 03:46 PM.
03-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #11898
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nice. My DiL drives the same vehicle with twins aboard. Loves it! My crazy son drives a Ford Raptor - with car seats

.:

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Oooh, very nice, Allen! We don't see many such vehicles over here, due to the fuel prices. That one looks pristine, and at 35k miles it's barely run in, right? Are you planning to take that one up to 190k too?
thanks folks

you don't buy one of those if you are worried about gas mileage if you are truthful with yourself

however having said that it only has a V 6 as opposed to the Suburban's V 8

Used 2016 GMC Acadia for sale - Pricing & Features | Edmunds

edmunds expert review
2016 GMC Acadia

https://www.edmunds.com/gmc/acadia/2016/?EdmundsYear=&zip=66614&dma=605&city=Topeka&state=KS

my model has the bucket seats for the driver and front passenger, captain seats ( buckets ) in the second row with an open space to allow access to the third row which is a 60/40 split bench seat. not a lot of cargo room without folding down seats but then quite a bit.

we got it because my wife's mom live in Iowa and we might be trekking up there in any weather, hence the AWD and my wife thinks she needs to be able to get to work regardless of weather

of course we know that ice beats AWD

I expect we will be putting as many miles as possible on it, it still has about a year/1,000 miles left on original warranty

keep in mind that I have the 2015 Audi A 4 coupe to drive as well

and my wife has a small Chevy as her daily driver

our daughter in law ( married July 2017) is still in school and has stated no grand kids for a few years,

vehicle will hopefully still be around then

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-13-2018 at 06:33 AM.
03-12-2018, 03:28 PM - 4 Likes   #11899
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
2018 has been busy so far

I've gotten a used FA 35 (so small!), the 77 limited, a new 24-70 ($300 off sale at B&H), and the big one, the DA 25 for my Z, used from Lens Authority. It's a lot! But all great.

03-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #11900
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I've gotten a used FA 35 (so small!),
Before I had the FA31 the FA35/2 was my favorite lens. I often regret selling it.
the 77 limited,
Just outstanding portrait and short / medium telephoto
a new 24-70 ($300 off sale at B&H),
mine is the default lens on my K-1 - very nice
and the big one, the DA 25 for my Z, used from Lens Authority.
Not going there (but I have the tickets in my wallet
It's a lot! But all great.
Enjoy!
03-12-2018, 04:06 PM - 2 Likes   #11901
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Found the right adapter

I recently acquired what some claim to be the fastest medium format lens ever produced, the Mamiya 80mm f 1.9, and now I have found an adapter that allows it to be used on the K-1. It cannot be adapted to the Pentax 645 series because of incompatible registration distances. Hopefully, the 80mm 1.9 will be a low-light princess on the K-1.
03-13-2018, 01:46 AM   #11902
Pentaxian

Cleaning and re-lubricating the helicoid on these is very straightforward, as you probably know. An easy job for a wet and windy afternoon when you don't fancy going out!

Could I ask a favour? Would you be able to post a photo of your lens, specifically showing the switch and the rear of the lens (basically per my photos)? I'm always very interested in learning of variations on these and other Soviet lenses.

Thanks in advance
The rear of my copy looks the same as the one that Marcus posted, with an A/M switch that looks like a little wheel. It has a serial number starting in "81".

I hadn't looked into cleaning the helicoid but I may do so. I haven't had much success taking apart photographic gear to fix them, they have a tendancy to not go back together properly (or at all), but if it's easy and I can find good instructions then I may look into it. Will need to find a good source of appropriate lubricant first.

03-13-2018, 03:37 AM   #11903
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The rear of my copy looks the same as the one that Marcus posted, with an A/M switch that looks like a little wheel. It has a serial number starting in "81".
OK, thanks. And that's definitely a Helios-44M-4 rather than a 44M?
03-13-2018, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #11904
Pentaxian

So I just bought something I had no plans, desire, or budget for. Thankfully, it was fairly inexpensive

My Dad decided a few days ago that he'd like a new compact camera, and he settled on a Panasonic DMC-FT30 tough / waterproof model - but before he would buy it, he wanted to free up some funds by selling his bridge camera that he hasn't used for quite a while. He did a little research on market value, and was fixing to advertise it locally in the hope that someone might be interested.

Well, I wanted my Dad to get his new camera (so did he!! ), so I figured I'd buy his bridge camera to give him the required funds, and then sell it on at my leisure later. He wasn't asking a lot of money, and the camera is boxed and mint (barely used) and comes with some additional accessories - the OEM hood and a couple of OEM filters (UV and ND), extra battery, a nice case etc. I figured I could sell it on quite easily at very little or perhaps no loss.

But here's the problem - it's actually rather good, and I really like it It's a Panasonic DMC-FZ62 with 24x zoom (25-600mm equivalent). It has a tiny 1/2.33" sensor with 16MP crammed in, and it only shoots JPEG... no RAW. But the level of control it offers is very DSLR / mirrorless-like... full PASM modes, custom settings memories, exposure comp, multiple focusing modes, exposure bracketing, burst shooting, highly effective shake reduction, decent video etc. The EVF is much better than I expected, too - really good, considering it's a consumer level camera from 2012. And the image stabilisation is simply unreal... But the biggest surprise for me is the image quality from the combination of lens, sensor and JPEG engine... OK, it's no DSLR, but my, oh my, it produces *lovely* images - especially with the NR reduced to minimum and sharpness set at +1. The level of detail it resolves is better than it has any right to be. The lens is sharp as can be, right through its entire range.

If it would shoot RAW too, this thing would be totally amazing. As it stands, it's simply very good indeed. Too good, I think, to sell. It would make a great little camera to carry in the car on days where photography isn't my primary concern. Of course, I have other cameras for that already... but this one is as good or better in terms of IQ, and the focal length range is way more versatile.

Rats... I didn't expect to like this camera, and I need to keep my dwindling budget free for the few (and increasingly rare) lenses I'm still looking for... oh well

Footnote: My Dad received his new Panasonic DMC-FT30 today and he's over the moon with it. I must say, the build quality is amazing - the whole thing feels like it's metal. Image quality is... well, about what you'd expect from a budget 16MP compact, but he's happy It's a lovely bit of kit for what it is. Maybe in a few years, when he's after something new, I'll buy that from him too... because I obviously need another camera

Apologies for the dreadful photo... I have a bulb out in the room, so ISO setting on the Q7 is sky high

The second image was taken with the FZ62 at ISO 100 and an equivalent focal length of 180mm, with no additional sharpening, NR or other processing applied. It looks great at anything from 1:2 reproduction or smaller... crazy...
Nice story!

It certainly proves normhead's point that it doesn't take a zillion huge DSLR pixels to create great images. My first digital camera was Minolta Dimage 7 back in 2001 that was shaped much like the FZ62. It had a great ergonomics in terms of having lots of well-thought-out "big camera" controls, RAW and RAW+, and it could accept the thicker type II compact flash (hello 4 GB microdrives!). The 28-200 f/2.8-3.5 equivalent lens was extremely sharp and compact body even had an eye sensor on the EVF (which could flip-up for low-angle shooting). The only downsides were that even ISO 400 sucked and it ate batteries.

If I did not live on a high-ISO planet (it's dark 50% of the time here) and I didn't have so much fun with old lenses, I'd probably be shooting one of these near-pro-level hyperzoom bridge cameras.
03-13-2018, 05:25 AM   #11905
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've seen 44-M and 44-M4 models that have had the wheel-type manual switch - the one in my picture is a 44-M. There seem to be variants within the model numbers, such as the ones with no switch at all. As I said, I think this may be styling for a particular market, and use with gloves seems the most logical reason.
03-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #11906
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
I've seen 44-M and 44-M4 models that have had the wheel-type manual switch - the one in my picture is a 44-M. There seem to be variants within the model numbers, such as the ones with no switch at all.
Interesting - thanks for the info. I have the 44M, auto-only 44M-4 / 5 / 6 / 7 and of course my new A/M-switching 44M-4, but I'll need to look out for one with the wheel-type switch for my collection
03-13-2018, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #11907
Veteran Member

My newest acquisitions are on the way but all I am sure of today is more than a foot of wet snow that may delay some of my camera related goodies. Second storm in a week that will drop over a foot. Maybe moving from the southern US wasn't such a good call..... I need to get out and buy SMUs by tomorrow and I can only hope I can get out of my driveway!
03-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #11908
Pentaxian

It's a HELIOS-44M
03-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #11909
Pentaxian

Interesting - thanks for the info. I have the 44M, auto-only 44M-4 / 5 / 6 / 7 and of course my new A/M-switching 44M-4, but I'll need to look out for one with the wheel-type switch for my collection
I see them fairly often - I've currently got a 44M with that type of AM switch on ebay, but the filter mount is damaged and there are cleaning marks so it probably isn't up to the standards you want. I've just bought a job lot that includes another, it looks OK in the photos (and at least the filter mount doesn't seem to be damaged) but the quality isn't good enough to be sure. I should know more next week, and I'll PM you if it's a good one.
03-14-2018, 03:33 AM   #11910
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Another good car boot day:

Canon Eos 100 with 28-80 lens, lens is in good condition but the camera seems to be stuck on auto.
A couple of hoods and a 58mm polarizer
A boxed Ohnar optical slide duplicator
A set of M42 auto extension tubes
An Olympus OM10 instruction manual (useful since I'll be selling a body next week)
and an Ilford Sprite 35mm body that's not working

all for £27.50
Following on from what I said about getting an occasional bad item when I buy cheaply, it turns out to be swings and roundbouts time - the 28-80 Canon lens has an AF fault, nothing I could have spotted without trying it on a camera and looking at the results on a big screen, it sort of works but I'm going to have to sell it as faulty. Annoying because it's exceptionally clean.

Meanwhile a close examination of the M42 tubes reveals that they're actually Pentax made - Asahi Optical logo on the case, and the company name engraved on the end of one of the tubes, where nobody can possibly see it (seems odd, but never mind) - which hopefully means that they will sell for more than I expected.

Now wishing I hadn't bought the Canon, but the guy who sold it to me has previously sold me some very good stuff so I'm not going to begrudge it.