Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2018, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #11926
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wanted a lens that is relatively sharp at 300mm for my kids sports... my Tamron 70-300mm LD Di seems to suffer a bit at the 300mm end. I was looking at the 55-300mm but as always I'm on a strict budget... so while the 55-300 has nice contrast at 300, it doesn't seem all that sharp to me when I pixel peep images from it at over 200mm... but the images are still nice. Yet I suspect this lens I just bought on FeeBay for 22 dollars, a no-name (Craigs Optics) 60-300 f/4-5.6 is going to be slightly sharper, much cheaper and will do the job for now. It's identical to the Promaster (with an interesting rubber grip), which is said to be the same lens as the highly regarded Tokina also sold as Soligor - though some people say it's made by Cosina. An "A" position also doesn't hurt, so I'm pretty happy with my bargain hunting today.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 03-15-2018 at 02:37 PM.
03-15-2018, 02:34 PM - 3 Likes   #11927
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally got myself a real Rocketblower.
03-15-2018, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #11928
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Finally got myself a real Rocketblower.
... and a better accessory you'd be hard pushed to find. Invaluable!
03-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #11929
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
... and a better accessory you'd be hard pushed to find. Invaluable!
We were in Wellington yesterday, so visited a real camera shop (although they don't stock Pentax) and Annie spotted the Rocketblowers. Much better than the one I had.

03-15-2018, 03:10 PM - 2 Likes   #11930
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We were in Wellington yesterday, so visited a real camera shop (although they don't stock Pentax) and Annie spotted the Rocketblowers. Much better than the one I had.
I even used mine to blow some of the dust out of my MacBook Air cooling fans.
03-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #11931
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I even used mine to blow some of the dust out of my MacBook Air cooling fans.
Great for getting dust out of plastic speaker and microphone grilles too. In fact, it has many uses. Great piece of kit
03-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #11932
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I wanted a lens that is relatively sharp at 300mm for my kids sports... my Tamron 70-300mm LD Di seems to suffer a bit at the 300mm end. I was looking at the 55-300mm but as always I'm on a strict budget... so while the 55-300 has nice contrast at 300, it doesn't seem all that sharp to me when I pixel peep images from it at over 200mm... but the images are still nice. Yet I suspect this lens I just bought on FeeBay for 22 dollars, a no-name (Craigs Optics) 60-300 f/4-5.6 is going to be slightly sharper, much cheaper and will do the job for now. It's identical to the Promaster (with an interesting rubber grip), which is said to be the same lens as the highly regarded Tokina also sold as Soligor - though some people say it's made by Cosina. An "A" position also doesn't hurt, so I'm pretty happy with my bargain hunting today.

Congratulations

and glad you found what you think will work

remember that since you live in the US you have the option of renting equipment to do your own testing

also

hope springs eternal

I have gotten lucky in the forum's market place securing like new experienced lenses from sellers leaving Pentax ( sad for them ) well under market price

I was the " firstest with the mostest " and was the first to respond with a pm

good luck with your recent purchase and good luck in the future if you start looking again

unless I am looking for the same thing

03-15-2018, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #11933
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Moman mini trip and ball head arrived today. Pretty neat little device. Tripod quality its good. Neat little way to set the leg angle by rotating the red base 30 degrees you have two leg positions. Almost flat and at a 40 degree angle or so. The ball head seems to work okay. A good value for the price. Arca mount system a real plus too.
03-16-2018, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #11934
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the full-size one at my desk and the smaller one in my traveling kit bag - both are excellent!
03-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #11935
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I have the full-size one at my desk and the smaller one in my traveling kit bag - both are excellent!
Same. Well, the big fella lives in one of my lens cupboards... the little guy goes in my camera bag of choice...

Do you use anything to protect the nozzle opening? The only thing that's ever bothered me is that my camera bag(s) don't remain entirely dust free. My lens cupboards stay remarkably clean, but my bags require periodic vacuum cleaning. I always wonder if some of the dust and detritus can get inside the blower, and - if it can - is there an effective method of cleaning it out... or is it better to simply replace it every few years?
03-16-2018, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #11936
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Same. Well, the big fella lives in one of my lens cupboards... the little guy goes in my camera bag of choice...

Do you use anything to protect the nozzle opening? The only thing that's ever bothered me is that my camera bag(s) don't remain entirely dust free. My lens cupboards stay remarkably clean, but my bags require periodic vacuum cleaning. I always wonder if some of the dust and detritus can get inside the blower, and - if it can - is there an effective method of cleaning it out... or is it better to simply replace it every few years?
Little bit of blutack on the end?
03-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #11937
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have the big one in my cupboard - and - I bought a GR from a member; nestled in the bottom of the box he had included am unopened clamshell package that contained a little bottle of lens cleaning fluid, a cloth and the mini Rocket Blower.

Nice lesson.
03-17-2018, 03:48 AM   #11938

Received another Takumar lens as a gift Yesterday
A excellent condition Super Multi Coated 28 3.5
Early 70s edition K mount
Brings me to a total of 6 Taks in my collection now
03-17-2018, 05:22 AM - 2 Likes   #11939
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having spent the bulk of my professional career at the University of Maryland Baltimore County, I unexpectedly picked up some serious bragging rights last nght

Last edited by dadipentak; 03-17-2018 at 05:42 AM.
03-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #11940
Veteran Member

Good for you Retrievers! My battery grip for my KP finally arrived yesterday after 2 days of delay due to our last storm. Will hopefully get a chance to play later today.