Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2018, 12:48 AM   #11986
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I have witnessed the same thing. But generally, you pay for that fast shipping.
I often look at offers in Japan and I'd like to buy there. Fast shipping, good quality seem to be standard there. However, here in Germany, everything goes through customs. Really, everything. That means add VAT and custom fee and the price is not attractive anymore... Plus, here in Berlin, there is only one customs' post office for the whole city (3.5 mio people). And if you are required to open your package and show it to the officer to calculate the taxes, you have to wait the whole day. So you have to take a day off. A snail is faster...

03-23-2018, 01:10 AM   #11987
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Yesterday picked up a Venus Optics Laowa STF 105mm F2.0 (T3.2) lens.

Tested it out on my K1 camera and wrote the very first review on it here.
f/2.0 but T/3.2? Where does all that extra light go?
03-23-2018, 02:39 AM   #11988
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
I often look at offers in Japan and I'd like to buy there. Fast shipping, good quality seem to be standard there. However, here in Germany, everything goes through customs. Really, everything. That means add VAT and custom fee and the price is not attractive anymore... Plus, here in Berlin, there is only one customs' post office for the whole city (3.5 mio people). And if you are required to open your package and show it to the officer to calculate the taxes, you have to wait the whole day. So you have to take a day off. A snail is faster...
Here, parcel force handle paying customs, for a fee (£8) and you pay them. customs go off the invoice for vat. The annoying thing is there is no vat on postage in the UK but customs charge it on items coming in, the rascals!!!
03-23-2018, 04:08 AM   #11989
Veteran Member

I have been looking at this lens. Thanks for the informative review. Would you be able to share some photos from the shootout?

03-23-2018, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #11990
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
f/2.0 but T/3.2? Where does all that extra light go?
It's absorbed by apodisation glass in the lens.
03-23-2018, 04:31 AM   #11991
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Could you please attach some images to your review? Thanks, J
03-23-2018, 05:54 AM - 3 Likes   #11992
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I just received this combo in the mail... a very clean Zenit-E "МОСКВА 80" with MIR-1 2.8/37 lens.

The camera is a really nice example and appears to be fully working; but I bought this for the lens. It's a 1970 MIR-1 2.8/37 "Grand Prix" Brussels in M42 mount, in very fine condition - barely any signs of corrosion or pitting to the body (which has never been polished), the lens elements are unmarked, and the front and rear retaining rings and rear screws haven't been touched. The only noticeable sign of wear - very common with these - is mild scuffing to the outer edge of the barrel front, where the lens cap has been taken on and off over the years. Focusing and diaphragm both work (and the blades are oil-free), but both feel dry, so I'll need to service the lens fully at some point. Another job for my list

Although not a rare lens as such, it's becoming difficult to find a silver M42 version in original, un-touched condition. I paid a little more than I initially intended after haggling with the seller, but considerably less than it was listed for, and still well below market value - so I'm feeling rather fortunate with this one.

My experience with the MIR-1 and its later MIR-1B incarnation is that the earlier lens is typically much better optically. I have another MIR-1 - a much rarer version in gloss black, also M42 mount - and it produces absolutely beautiful photos. I'm hoping this one will be just as good, but it's a nice addition to my collection either way

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-23-2018 at 06:07 AM.
03-23-2018, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #11993
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just received this combo in the mail... a very clean Zenit-E "МОСКВА 80" with MIR-1 2.8/37 lens.
Congrats! That's exactly the combo that my grandfather used. I must admit his camera and lens are in much more well-used condition. It's also attested by his large collection of negatives, that I am currently scanning.
03-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #11994

Takumar 105 2.8

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Should be nice.
Yes tim60
that is one of theirs that I have been wanting to get my hands on for awhile now
with the Quality of their other lenses I have I am positive that I will get a lot of use from it
03-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #11995
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Received one of the job lots I mentioned - the Helios 44-2 is very good apart from oily iris blades and slight polishing marks, no fungus etc., but the Adaptall 70-210 is a write-off - the front element is badly damaged and one of the other elements is loose inside. I don't think it's worth trying to fix, so I'll add it to the big box o' crap for a future "spares / repairs" job lot. However, it turns out to have a working M42 mount and one of the extension tubes is actually a 2x converter. Given I only paid £10.29 I ought to come out well ahead.

Also picked up a Zeiss Contina 1b 35mm camera - not quite sure of the model yet - with a separate working rangefinder for £13; both are in very nice condition and working well so should fetch reasonable amounts.
And as if by magic today I picked up exactly the same Adaptall lens in Portobello Road, in perfect condition and also with an M42 mount, plus a boxed Prinz Galaxy 135/3.5 with M39 T mount, for a tenner the two, from the same guy that sold me a 50mm AF Nikkor a couple of weeks ago. The weird part is that he was asking much more for some really rubbish zooms. I can only assume he's working on the basis that screw mounts are old-fashioned so can't be worth much, or something of the sort.
03-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #11996
Pentaxian

What is the Prinz like. I bought one once in a job lot with a STak 135/3.5 and a couple of other things I did not want. I sold the Prinz for a pretty good price, half what I paid for the job lot. I really like the STak that I was targeting when I bought it.
03-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #11997
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
What is the Prinz like. I bought one once in a job lot with a STak 135/3.5 and a couple of other things I did not want. I sold the Prinz for a pretty good price, half what I paid for the job lot. I really like the STak that I was targeting when I bought it.
It's about average - I see a lot of similar lenses, this isn't particularly exceptional except that it's in the original box. It's an OK 1970s cheap end lens, but that really isn't saying much by today's standards. With a bit of luck I'll get eight or ten pounds for it, maybe a little more because it's boxed.
03-23-2018, 06:27 PM - 2 Likes   #11998
Pentaxian

A silver KX and K 55/1.8. Both of which I like better than the ones I already have, as I like silver cameras, and lenses without fungus spots.
03-23-2018, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #11999
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
A silver KX and K 55/1.8. Both of which I like better than the ones I already have, as I like silver cameras, and lenses without fungus spots.
A man of very good taste in cameras and lenses.
03-23-2018, 11:35 PM   #12000
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
It's about average - I see a lot of similar lenses, this isn't particularly exceptional except that it's in the original box. It's an OK 1970s cheap end lens, but that really isn't saying much by today's standards. With a bit of luck I'll get eight or ten pounds for it, maybe a little more because it's boxed.

The one I had was with box and all papers and looked in great condition. I got a bit more than that for it, and the buyer also had to pay for postage (I was honest and only charged the actual postage price unlike quite a lot on eBay) to send it from Australia to Canada.