Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #12166
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Another Saturday, another car boot sale with some very nice results:

Canon EF 50mm 1.8 for £25 - very clean, works, and has caps
Pentax MZ-50 with some sort of date/time back and a 28-80 3.5-5.6 for £7 - OK condition, not brilliant but no fungus etc. and working.
and a Beirette 35mm camera for £3, has a couple of minor faults I didn't notice when I bought it, but it works and should make a teeny profit.

Annoyingly someone slipped me an old pound coin in my change, a nuisance since only the banks will change them now.

Also received a job lot of assorted Canon and Minolta gear I got on Ebay last weekend. Mostly fairly cruddy condition, doubt I'll make much on it because the lenses on the Canons are older Sigma models that won't work on digital bodies and have the sticky black rubber problem, the Minolta lens has slight fungus, and so forth. Cost me £27 so it isn't the end of the world.

You can still use the old pound coin as a token in the lockers in the Bodleian Library. Maybe there are other places you can still use it as a token.

04-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #12167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yashica-Mat TLR, brown leather case, Rollei unhinged caps and manual, all in fine, working condition. The caps are the only Rollei gear I can afford .

This one has Lumaxar (TomIoka) f=80mm 1:3.5 lenses and leather ring inserts in the polished aluminum aperture and shutter speed knobs, so it is the mid 1957 - December 1957 issue, the third iteration of the original Mat. It does have the Copal MXV 1/500 shutter and the cocking crank winder. This is a comparatively rare transition camera using 80mm lenses (changed from 75mm), but before the Lumaxar lenses were replaced by the Yashinon lenses. It is thought the Yashinon taking lens was a new design. Maybe that makes it special, but I don’t plan to collect TLR’s. I got this just to try shooting a TLR.

Shooting 120 6x6 film will be fun, but I can tell even with the grid lines I’ll need the magnifier.

I don’t think I’ll need to send it to Mark Hama - It’s in that good shape. From @Chatmechant here. I’m just delighted.
Hey man, you're going to make me regret selling that little marvel of engineering! I did a bunch of research before finding that one, and those and the Autocord seemed to be the best of the Japanese TLR's.
04-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #12168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Hey man, you're going to make me regret selling that little marvel of engineering! I did a bunch of research before finding that one, and those and the Autocord seemed to be the best of the Japanese TLR's.
I agree about the Mats and Autocords. I can’t afford a Rollei just to fool around. AFA collecting goes you priced it correctly. The Lumaxar lens apparently wasn’t as sharp as the new Yashinon. They were all made by Tomioka anyway. Tomioka still makes lenses as part of Kyocera - same plant and everything.

Yashica-Mat ver.5 with the 1:2.8 taking lens is the one shooters seek. It lasted until 1973. They made the 124G’s into the late 80’s.

It’s a really nice camera and package in great condition. I’ll enjoy using it

Last edited by monochrome; 04-07-2018 at 01:27 PM.
04-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #12169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I agree about the Mats and Autocords. I can’t afford a Rollie just to fool around. AFA collecting goes you priced it correctly. The Lumaxar lens apparently wasn’t as sharp as the new Yashinon. They were all made by Tomioka anyway. Tomioka still makes lenses as part of Kyocera - same plant and everything.

Yashica-Mat ver.5 with the 1:2.8 taking lens is the one shooters seek. It lasted until 1973. They made the 124G’s into the late 80’s.

It’s a really nice camera and package in great condition. I’ll enjoy using it
And here I am making due with a Ricoh Diacord

Are there any real stinkers among TLRs that take 120 film? About the worst I can think of off-hand is the Argoflex E.

04-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #12170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
And here I am making due with a Ricoh Diacord

Are there any real stinkers among TLRs that take 120 film? About the worst I can think of off-hand is the Argoflex E.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Diacord!!
04-07-2018, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #12171

I Took a gamble on a Vivitar 35-105 3.5 close focus constant aperture zoom on E-bay
Great price but no information on condition exept one comment Nice Lens
item arrived 2 days early and is indeed a Nice Lens all functions smooth Clear Clean glass no cosmetic wear found

when I first took out of packaging apertures did not go all the way through range
so I was slightly disappointed but found that the TX mount was not in correct alignment
as soon as I reset the mount everything works perfectly

All for only 32 us dollars total What a deal
04-07-2018, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #12172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like new green Domke F-8 bag from Amazon Warehouse Deals

Amazon Warehouse Deals are returned items, often in brand new condition.
Free shipping, too!

Chris

04-07-2018, 06:49 PM - 2 Likes   #12173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New toy for experimentation:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
04-08-2018, 04:39 AM   #12174

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
I have one of those in 55 mm
dual element corrective closeup diopter
their not cheap...
have fun
04-08-2018, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #12175
Pentaxian

Nice! Mount that on a long cardboard tube and you'll have yourself a 500 mm f/6.5 lens.
04-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #12176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use mine on my DA* 200. It works well in that combo.

Generated from my Motorola Droid Mini using tools.rackonly.com

Generated from my Motorola Droid Mini using tools.rackonly.com

---------- Post added 04-08-18 at 09:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Nice! Mount that on a long cardboard tube and you'll have yourself a 500 mm f/6.5 lens.
Interesting. Tell me more...
04-08-2018, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #12177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Interesting. Tell me more...
It's pretty simple, a nested set of telescoping heavy-paper or cardboard tubes thats big enough on one end to hold the 77mm close-up lens and cover the camera's mount flange on the other end makes the filter into a lens.

In theory, the 500D close-up lens (also known as a +2 diopter close-up lens) has a focal length of 500 mm which means that infinity focus occurs when the lens is 500mm from the sensor (or about 454 mm from the flange). In practice, the distances might be a little more or less which is why nested telescoping tubes are nice. Also, the focus throw will be really really long. Shifting from infinity focus to an object about 3 meters away requires extending the lens out about another 125 mm.

The image quality won't be great and the floppy home-made lens won't impress the local BIF photographers but there is a certain magical satisfaction at forming a focused image of some distant object.

You can improve IQ by painting the inside of the tube black, being really careful to mount the lens parallel to the sensor, adding a waterhouse stop just behind the lens, and adding a lens hood to cut flare.
04-08-2018, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #12178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It's pretty simple, a nested set of telescoping heavy-paper or cardboard tubes thats big enough on one end to hold the 77mm close-up lens and cover the camera's mount flange on the other end makes the filter into a lens.

In theory, the 500D close-up lens (also known as a +2 diopter close-up lens) has a focal length of 500 mm which means that infinity focus occurs when the lens is 500mm from the sensor (or about 454 mm from the flange). In practice, the distances might be a little more or less which is why nested telescoping tubes are nice. Also, the focus throw will be really really long. Shifting from infinity focus to an object about 3 meters away requires extending the lens out about another 125 mm.

The image quality won't be great and the floppy home-made lens won't impress the local BIF photographers but there is a certain magical satisfaction at forming a focused image of some distant object.

You can improve IQ by painting the inside of the tube black, being really careful to mount the lens parallel to the sensor, adding a waterhouse stop just behind the lens, and adding a lens hood to cut flare.
You can get really fancy by using PVC 2 inch diameter pipe for the "lens" body. Black, solid and can be cut exactly square. You still have to mount it somehow, of course.
04-08-2018, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #12179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You can get really fancy by using PVC 2 inch diameter pipe for the "lens" body. Black, solid and can be cut exactly square. You still have to mount it somehow, of course.

Turn an M42 x 1 thread on the mount end and use an M42 adapter.
04-08-2018, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #12180
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have many rocket related tubes and couplers. 3" tubes are common and I have experience cutting them. This seems like a silly fun idea.