Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #12181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
New toy for experimentation:
Excellent item. It’s a doublet. It has very little distortion. I have that one in that size. The series of Canon doublet and triplet diopters are the best next to macro lenses. Also, they are a lot easier to carry than macro lenses.

They are very expensive especially in that size. I hope you got a good deal.

04-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #12182
Veteran Member

some new flash gear to give me more flexibility ... these guys need to step it up and release Pentax versions too

Godox XPro-F TTL (easier to read than the smaller version )
Godox TT685F 2.4G TTL Flash Speedlite for Fujifilm
some more rechargeables and a bower mount adaptor to use the flash on a stand with all my bower accessories. Likely I will start rotating out my other lighting so it all works with this system , not worried about the studio lights being TTL as long as i can adjust remote
04-10-2018, 06:31 AM - 3 Likes   #12183
Pentaxian

Sunday was Poitiers' annual photo swap meet and think that I was pretty reasonable. Left the house with over 350€ in cash and came home with somewhere near 250€ ... it was not really the best one of recent years IMHO as far as selection goes.

The coolest was this for 5€ and I put my MX + M 85/2 combo next to it for scale ... it's pressed in relief, too.

A couple of Cactus flash head accessories for 20€ total ... my Metz 44 AF is added for scale.

The small easel for 5€ and I had reserved the week before at the Rochelle B&M store the Minolta MC 24/2.8 for 35€ (it was a consignment sale) ... it came up on their website and they bought it to the swap for me, so that saved the postage costs ...

A working light meter with 1.5v battery for 7€ and the Mamiya Sekor 55/1.4 for 2€, but the rear element is badly scratched up ... will see if it shoots OK ...

A well used Scoponet for 2€ and my 15€ error for the day ... a broken, ugly ME with a M 50/1.4 and a Sakar Semi Fish-Eye converter ... in that I knew that the ME was trashed and didn't care ... but I checked out the 50's optics plus the aperture was good and rotation OK, but later at home discovered that that elements are stuck at about infinity and do not move at all in synch with the focal throw. Never had one like this before, so maybe repairable and if not, then again great parts for another 50 ... we'll see.

And I bought this for a friend that wanted a half-frame ... for 30€ and better yet, she wanted to shoot lots of frames kind of like a "film" ... never seen one before, and the bottom spring winder will allow up 20 frames according to the manual on Butkus.

Unfortunately, I must have over-wound it in testing after purchase and as a result I had to pull apart at home the spring loaded knob to clean and remount. Now it will shoot 10+ frames fast on a single wind, but the "A" function has gone out now, too. Like I said, not a great year ... but it can be shot in manual, so all is not lost. If she doesn't want it, then I will keep it ... c'est la vie !

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-10-2018 at 06:45 AM. Reason: typoo
04-10-2018, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #12184
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Arrived today:
  • Thinktank Signature 13 Messenger Bag In Gray for FF Camera, several lenses, laptop and small bits. Like a more intelligent Billingham.
  • NIB/NOS Vivitar Series 1 P/KA 105/2.5 Macro. I can’t believe these things are still knocking around NOS. Opened the Box - everything still in factory wrapping and untouched.
.:

Last edited by monochrome; 04-10-2018 at 07:35 PM.
04-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #12185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
JP, Sounds like you had a good time. I wonder how many people here will recognize your Scoponet for what it is? I cannot tell you the last time there was any sort of show like this in western, NY. eBay and Craigslist has pretty much killed them off. Now it's garage sales, estate sales and flea markets where the pickings are all pretty slim.
04-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #12186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
JP, Sounds like you had a good time. I wonder how many people here will recognize your Scoponet for what it is? I cannot tell you the last time there was any sort of show like this in western, NY. eBay and Craigslist has pretty much killed them off. Now it's garage sales, estate sales and flea markets where the pickings are all pretty slim.
Estate Sales don’t work any more. They’re on to camera values.

Went to an Estate Sale Sunday in a mid-19th C. River town about an hour north of St. Louis. Really, really cool 1854 brick and stone home filled with period furniture and books accumulated over a lifetime by two college professors. In the wife’s study there was a Ricoh KR-5 Super and Rikenon P 50/1.4 ($125) + Rikenon 28/2.8, an Olympus Pen F, an Olympus Pen, a Spotmatic-F, various Takumars, a Retina and some odd folders.

Not one camera was tagged under $100 and not one lens under $50 and all lenses were tagged separately from the bodies. There was no way to tell whether anything worked and, when I asked, everything was As-Is, No Returns, No Dickering. Take it or Leave It.

My wife bought some small furniture pieces but the 19th C. Desks and Henredon / Stickley was priced as if in an Antique Shop. I hate it that the Sale Consultants have gotten so good at pricing, but in this case I hope they had a backup deal because the stuff wasn’t selling at those prices.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-11-2018 at 09:32 AM.
04-10-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #12187
Veteran Member

04-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #12188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buy Again
04-10-2018, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #12189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been looking for auto extension tubes for quite some time, considered original Pentax K tube set, Vivitar AT-22 and others. I even considered deglassing an A mount 2X teleconverter. Well, today i stumbled across a set of Kenko Auto extension tubes at Keh. Not knowing if they had an A contact or not, I called to inquire. I was put on hold waiting for a sales person and eventually went to voice mail requesting I leave a message for someone to call me back, which I did. After waiting several hours with no call back, I called again and got a real human on the line. I inquired whether the tubes had the A contacts and the individual told me no. Well, that was the end of that. . . . .. . so I thought. About an hour later, I received a call back from another individual at KEH. Having him on the line, i asked him the same question: does the Kenko auto extension tube set have contacts for reading lens aperture. He told me he'd check and put me on hold. A short while later he came back on the line and said yes, they do have the contacts. That convinced me to place my order, now looking forward to receiving them. I'll update when I receive them and test them out.
04-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #12190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Estate Sales don’t work any more. They’re on to camera values.

Went to an Estate Sale Sunday in a mid-19th C. River town about an hour north of St. Louis. Really, really cool 1854 brick and stone home filled with period furniture and books accumulated over a lifetime by two college professors. In the wife’s study there was a Ricoh XR-5 P and Rikenon 50/1.4 + Rikenon 28/2.8, an Olympus Pen F, an Olympus Pen, a Spotmatic-F, various Takumars, a Retina and some odd folders.

Not one camera was tagged under $100 and not one lens under $50 and all lenses were tagged separately from the bodies. There was no way to tell whether anything worked and, when I asked, everything was As-Is, No Returns, No Dickering. Take it or Leave It.

My wife bought some small furniture pieces but the 19th C. Desks and Henredon / Stickley was priced as if in an Antique Shop. I hate it that the Sale Consultants have gotten so good at pricing, but in this case I hope they had a backup deal because the stuff wasn’t selling at those prices.
My experience with estate sales is quite consistent with this description. I will not stop at them any more.
04-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #12191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
My experience with estate sales is quite consistent with this description. I will not stop at them any more.

It always seemed sad to me that estate sales resulted in all the stuff the deceased accumulated being almost given away just because of the laziness of the seller, who is a company who get a commission and fee for service, and so are not motivated to maximise price through selling through specific markets that would improve the return tot he inheritors.

The much wiser way to distribute one's estate is to distribute the stuff and let the inheritors use their skills and time to sell in an orderly way, to maximise their return.
04-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #12192
Pentaxian

Got another job lot of M42 gear - A Pentacon 50mm f1.8 and an unusual silver finish Prinz Galaxy 200mm f3.5, both in very good condition with caps and cases, and a Mirage 28/2.8 which unfortunately has very sluggish stop down. Also a dead no-name electronic flash that was included for some reason, battery compartment is so corroded I can't even open it. But the whole lot only cost £17.50 including P&P and I ought to make that on the Pentacon lens alone so it's not a bad haul.
04-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #12193
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It always seemed sad to me that estate sales resulted in all the stuff the deceased accumulated being almost given away just because of the laziness of the seller, who is a company who get a commission and fee for service, and so are not motivated to maximise price through selling through specific markets that would improve the return tot he inheritors.

The much wiser way to distribute one's estate is to distribute the stuff and let the inheritors use their skills and time to sell in an orderly way, to maximise their return.
I never go to estate or garage/yard sales of people in my neighborhood or who I know

my object is to get the best I can at the lowest possible price

their object is to raise money

not compatible at all
04-12-2018, 03:24 AM   #12194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Thanks and I had a good time. Yeah, the Scoponet would make a good quiz ... it's my second one that I may pass along later to a friend.

The organized yard sale season will start soon about Poitiers once the weather gets warmer. I am going tomorrow morning to Chatellerault for a special Emmaüs sale that happens every six months. I have picked up a few good photo things there in the past ... like a used looking, but optically great SMC Tak 105/2.8 for 8€ ... plus a lot of old darkroom objects/supplies. Maybe another Scoponet in my near future ...
04-12-2018, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #12195
Veteran Member

Got this for $1.50