Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #12256
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's great, Allen... I'm very pleased to hear it

Can't change attitudes? So if you're in a good mood one day and cranky the next, that's not allowed?!
of course not

pardon me while I do an edit

I also got a temporary acquisition. I am renting a Pentax PF-80ED spotting scope from Lensrental in May for Yellowstone, so I went ahead and rented one now so I can learn how to use it. I hope to use it observing Prairie Chickens Sat AM

04-16-2018, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #12257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
back in February, i used this thread to relate that I had suffered a detached retina and macula at the optic nerve in my left eye

well I have an UPDATE in case anyone is wondering that is going on:

just got done with my latest eye exam

good news: left eye: vision is roughly 20/25 ( the one that had the detached retina/macula at optic nerve ) with some linear distortions [ before incident, my vision in that eye was 20/25 ]

Right eye ( no problem 20/20 )

no knowing if the distortions are permanent or not, again eye can take 6 months or more for complete hearing

semi bad news - still have 10 % of the gas bubble still in the eye. Dr is sure that it will be completely gone in 10 -14 days. of course, it was suppose to be gone within 6 - 8 weeks of Feb 8.

if there is any bubble left, I cannot fly or change altitudes

so still planning on going to nephew's wedding May 8 in Arkansas and then flying to Yellowstone on May 14.

keeping fingers and everything else crossed.

thank you for your support
Well that is very promising I will keep my fingers crossed (metaphorically, as it plays havoc with manual focusing) that you keep heading in the right direction. Make sure you keep us up to speed and don't forget to share the Yellowstone pictures
04-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #12258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

back in February, i used this thread to relate that I had suffered a detached retina and macula at the optic nerve in my left eye

good news: left eye: vision is roughly 20/25 ( the one that had the detached retina/macula at optic nerve ) with some linear distortions [ before incident, my vision in that eye was 20/25 ]

no knowing if the distortions are permanent or not, again eye can take 6 months or more for complete hearing

semi bad news - still have 10 % of the gas bubble still in the eye. Dr is sure that it will be completely gone in 10 -14 days. of course, it was suppose to be gone within 6 - 8 weeks of Feb 8.

so still planning on going to nephew's wedding May 8 in Arkansas and then flying to Yellowstone on May 14.

Wonderful! I am so happy for you!

May 8th is three weeks away. That should work out.

Do you have an increase in floaters or do you see “cobwebs”?
04-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #12259
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Wonderful! I am so happy for you!

May 8th is three weeks away. That should work out.

Do you have an increase in floaters or do you see “cobwebs”?
No

Although I have dealt with floaters from time to time, I was diagnosed with glaucoma on St Patrick's Day in '87

I was 30 at the time, way early

04-16-2018, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #12260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy income tax filing day everybody. I'm getting a pretty nice refund.

Today is also my birthday. Oh, the temptation!...

Chris
04-16-2018, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #12261
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Happy income tax filing day everybody. I'm getting a pretty nice refund.

Today is also my birthday. Oh, the temptation!...

Chris
Happy Birthday!!

I refinanced my home in December 2016 and reduced my mortgage interest significantly, but I didn’t adjust my withholding accordingly. Consequently I owe a bunch of taxes to Uncle Sam (my lens drawer looks like a source of funds tonight) AND I’ll need to pay estimated taxes forever now.

At least Missouri will send some money back.

Good for mrs monochrome. Her birthday is Friday
04-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #12262
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great news, Sly!

04-17-2018, 12:51 AM   #12263
Pentaxian

Glad to know you're on the mend.
04-17-2018, 04:41 AM   #12264
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I suffered a full detachment in one eye and a bulge in the other eye about 32 years ago. It was no picnic then at a much younger age. I still have to be checked on every year and if I fall down, get hit, get in a car wreak, etc. I have massive floaters and maintain 20/25 or so in my worse eye myself. It made manual focus on DSLR's not a lot of fun so I tend to use focus peaking if that is needed and otherwise go AF. Hang in there sir. It's a bear at first getting used to this but you can live with it. I hope they can get that bubble to move along so your trip isn't disrupted.
I get checked re: glaucoma about every 90 days or so, that is how they found the detached retina and macula

I am right eye dominant so my MF problems cannot be blamed on the left eye

yeah, if the bubble isn't gone, I won't be heading to the wedding in Hot Springs nor Yellowstone

Topeka is about 900 feet above sea level, to get to Hot Springs, I have to drive through through some [ small ] mountains 2,000 - 3000 feet above sea level and of course I am flying to Yellowstone

I am not going to risk damage to the eye by doing so with a gas bubble in my left eye

thanks to all who have wished me well

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Political (or heading that way)
04-17-2018, 05:51 AM   #12265
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back to cameras, I need to take a picture to post, but I recently picked up a set of Bilora Stabilo tripod legs from the 60's (?) It is very compact and surprisingly effective paired with my Leica ball head I have (from the Leica table top tripod). I used it to support my Panasonic gx-7 & the 12-35 f2.8 that I captured my latest Flickr shots with including a double explore of an abandoned house. I paid $10 for it at an "antique mall".

Since I do not have the rubber tips the tripod is generally only useful on soft surfaces where the spikes can dig in. The legs are free floating and do not have any set position and open almost hoizontally for a very low position if desired.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1030  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XT1030  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XT1030  Photo 

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2018 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Removed reference to edited or deleted post
04-17-2018, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #12266
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks, I've edited a couple of posts and deleted some others regarding tax filing. It's my feeling that we were heading into political references and potentially discussion. As always, please avoid doing so

Thanks for your understanding
04-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #12267
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This little fella arrived today... a 1952 Industar-22 3.5/50 - the so-called "Rigid Black" version (referring to the rigid rather than collapsible construction, and black trim ring).

I got this one cheaply, with any caps or case, taking a chance on a seller with little track record. It's not in pristine condition by any means - there are a few dings, scrapes, brassed-through areas, and paint touch-ups here and there. When it arrived, the aperture numbers on the front ring were covered by the incorrectly fitted barrel, but that only took a few minutes to fix. Everything else seems fine... Focusing and diaphragm operate smoothly, blades are clean, glass looks to be in good condition - two or three dust spots inside, but nothing worth worrying about...

Pretty happy with this one. I'm sure there are much better examples out there, but this one is very usable
Attached Images

04-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #12268
Pentaxian

This little fella arrived today... a 1952 Industar-22 3.5/50 - the so-called "Rigid Black" version (referring to the rigid rather than collapsible construction, and black trim ring).

I got this one cheaply, with any caps or case, taking a chance on a seller with little track record. It's not in pristine condition by any means - there are a few dings, scrapes, brassed-through areas, and paint touch-ups here and there. When it arrived, the aperture numbers on the front ring were covered by the incorrectly fitted barrel, but that only took a few minutes to fix. Everything else seems fine... Focusing and diaphragm operate smoothly, blades are clean, glass looks to be in good condition - two or three dust spots inside, but nothing worth worrying about...

Pretty happy with this one. I'm sure there are much better examples out there, but this one is very usable
Is that a Tessar design, and what mount is it?
04-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #12269
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Is that a Tessar design, and what mount is it?
Yes, it's a Tessar formula. It's for Soviet M39 rangefinder (Zorki, FED etc.)...
04-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #12270
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it's a Tessar formula. It's for Soviet M39 rangefinder (Zorki, FED etc.)...
Plan to use on a short registration mirrorless?