Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 05:32 AM - 3 Likes   #12316
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I am very, very pleased today. The last of my recent lens purchases arrived safely, and I have nothing more incoming. Today's arrival is a little gem - a FED 6.3/100 macro in beautiful - nay, pristine original condition, complete with original front and rear caps and hard leather case.

Sadly, there's no documentation with it, which means I'll never know for sure when it was manufactured due to lack of reliable factory records.It's the second version of this lens, without RF coupling - but still has uncoated optical elements. I'm guessing it was manufactured post war, and possibly as late as the early 1950s.

Glass is in great condition. Focus and diaphragm are a bit stiff but working correctly. The body is spotless. Just *beautiful*

Attached Images

04-20-2018, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #12317
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I am very, very pleased today. The last of my recent lens purchases arrived safely, and I have nothing more incoming. Today's arrival is a little gem - a FED 6.3/100 macro in beautiful - nay, pristine original condition, complete with original front and rear caps and hard leather case.

Sadly, there's no documentation with it, which means I'll never know for sure when it was manufactured due to lack of reliable factory records.It's the second version of this lens, without RF coupling - but still has uncoated optical elements. I'm guessing it was manufactured post war, and possibly as late as the early 1950s.

Glass is in great condition. Focus and diaphragm are a bit stiff but working correctly. The body is spotless. Just *beautiful*
What a beautiful lens. I'm sure you will enjoy playing with it.
04-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #12318
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
What a beautiful lens. I'm sure you will enjoy playing with it.
Thanks, Albert
04-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #12319
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Today's Portobello Road prize was a bit of an oddity - a Nikon F-601M body with a Sigma 28-70 AF zoom for £17.

The oddity is that the F-601M isn't an autofocus camera, but does have the electrical contacts AF cameras use, although it's only using them for metering - there's a split-prism focusing screen. Fortunately the lens works very nicely on my D90 (uploading some test pictures to flickr now) and the body is weird enough that someone will probably want it as a collector's item, so I ought to come out ahead.

04-20-2018, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #12320
Pentaxian

Thanks to the influence of someone else in this thread, I acquired a Pentax PC35AF from a local camera store.
04-20-2018, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #12321
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Thanks to the influence of someone else in this thread, I acquired a Pentax PC35AF from a local camera store.
Darn it, that's two of you now. I really would like one of those... but I also should keep my funds strictly allocated to my collecting. I can't really afford to be buying stuff just because I like it... can I?
04-20-2018, 02:48 PM - 3 Likes   #12322
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Darn it, that's two of you now. I really would like one of those... but I also should keep my funds strictly allocated to my collecting. I can't really afford to be buying stuff just because I like it... can I?
Of course you can *

* Ignore my Sig Tag

04-20-2018, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #12323
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Of course you can *

* Ignore my Sig Tag
On the one hand, I should thank you for the support. On the other, I can't help thinking that you might not actually have helped me here
04-20-2018, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #12324
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the one hand, I should thank you for the support. On the other, I can't help thinking that you might not actually have helped me here
  • On the one hand, there’s the “ONE CAMERA IN, ONE CAMERA OUT” Rule
  • On the other hand, I modified my Sig Tag to remove admonishment to practice gear contentment.
04-20-2018, 03:11 PM - 4 Likes   #12325
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

On the one hand, there’s the “ONE CAMERA IN, ONE CAMERA OUT” Rule
To my credit, at least I've been applying HALF of that rule since I started...
04-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #12326
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To my credit, at least I've been applying HALF of that rule since I started...
The half that says ‘ONE CAMERA IN’? That’s what I do.
04-20-2018, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #12327
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The half that says ‘ONE CAMERA IN’? That’s what I do.
Exactly. On second thoughts, I may not have applied the "ONE" part all that consitently

Joking aside, I really ought to sell some of my cameras. I have some Soviet compact, SLR and TLR cameras that I'm really unlikely to use. Some of them - especially SLRs - are in need of servicing before they'll be fully usable, and I have too many lens projects slated to believe I'll ever get around to sorting out those cameras. I just hate letting go of them. Actually, I hate thinking about letting go of them. The nice ones, at least...
04-20-2018, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #12328
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exactly. On second thoughts, I may not have applied the "ONE" part all that consitently

Joking aside, I really ought to sell some of my cameras. I have some Soviet compact, SLR and TLR cameras that I'm really unlikely to use. Some of them - especially SLRs - are in need of servicing before they'll be fully usable, and I have too many lens projects slated to believe I'll ever get around to sorting out those cameras. I just hate letting go of them. Actually, I hate thinking about letting go of them. The nice ones, at least...
Know what you mean. I have duplicate FA Limiteds that I bought lower serials to replace the higher ones, which is its own form of pathology. When I get the higher serials out to shoot for a FS thread this weird feeling comes over me and I think, “I’ll shoot with this and keep the other one for the collection.”
04-20-2018, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #12329
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Know what you mean. I have duplicate FA Limiteds that I bought lower serials to replace the higher ones, which is its own form of pathology. When I get the higher serials out to shoot for a FS thread this weird feeling comes over me and I think, “I’ll shoot with this and keep the other one for the collection.”
Ha ha I have lenses like that in my collection, too... Where I started with an uglier (but not that ugly) copy, later acquired a really pristine copy, but have kept the ugly duckling and shoot that to keep the pristine example in the best condition possible. There's something not quite right about that, though... If someone asked my advice on collecting lenses, I'd suggest they buy neither mint nor rough copies, but merely "good" examples, and actually use them... after all, that's what they're for. It seems I'm not very good at following my own advice, though
04-20-2018, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #12330
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Ha ha I have lenses like that in my collection, too... Where I started with an uglier (but not that ugly) copy, later acquired a really pristine copy, but have kept the ugly duckling and shoot that to keep the pristine example in the best condition possible. There's something not quite right about that, though... If someone asked my advice on collecting lenses, I'd suggest they buy neither mint nor rough copies, but merely "good" examples, and actually use them... after all, that's what they're for. It seems I'm not very good at following my own advice, though
I'm proud of myself

I am improving

my last attempt at collecting was when my son was in high school playing trombone, so I collected some old trombones

playable but I never touched them

now, I have gotten photography equipment

and I use it

not well, but there is hope

at least they are being used

well some of them at least