Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2018, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #12406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Well, that explains the accent.
So that's it! I thought his posts sounded funny.

04-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #12407
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Friday and Saturday were a complete waste of time, as far as photographic acquisitions were concerned, but today more than made up:

Canon EF 50mm 1.8 with caps for £20
Prakticar 50mm 2.4 (Praktica bayonet) for £5 - their pancake lens, always popular
Cunor 300mm 5.5 (manual stopdown M42) with caps and case for £10
A Sigma 18mm f3.2 manual lens with an Exakta T-mount for £8
and a 1M cable release, a Nikon F flash shoe, and a 52mm rubber hood for £2.50

All of them are very clean and working well, with the exception of the Sigma, which is clean but won't stop down - I think it was made for their variant T2 mount that had a stopdown pin, it looks like someone has modified it for manual use but it has then gone wrong and won't stop down (which is why I got it for £8). But the Exakta T-mount on its own is worth at least a fiver, and even if I can't fix the lens myself I ought to make some profit on it.
04-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #12408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Well, that explains the accent.
It does!
04-30-2018, 06:43 AM   #12409
Pentaxian

I have been so frustrated to lose two Komura auctions (2.5/35mm and 2/135mm, both old preset versions), that I decided to use part of the money I would have spent on a nice (and overpriced!) reproduction base for my Contax tilt/shift bellows (which I adapted to PK mount on both sides).
My Komura collection is still on the march, though. Recently I added a 3.5/200, that should be already waiting for me at the post office.

After testing three different zooms of the late "silver" FA series, and opening the 100-300mm to clean what I thought to be a fungus (finding that the flower-like thing could be a funny looking separation between two cemented elements encased in an impervious plastic abomination), I decided to go for another one.
Those lenses are somewhat underestimated:
Overall IQ, even plastic mount ones, is above average. Stopping down enough the performance is really surprising. At the same time the build is embarrassing... but the cost usually is low enough to suggest buying another one instead of attempting a repair.
So after reading on this forum about a comparative between the new D FA 28-105mm and the old silver FA (with max aperture f/3.2) I decided to find one.
Well... actually I found two
One impeccable, with shade, quite expensive, and immediately after I paid for it, it came up another one attached to a Pentax MZ-60, sold as-is and with no shade.
I guess one of the two will go on sale in the summer, when I will try my best to to sell at least the duplicates (some quite desirable, like the Tamron soft focus zoom - that's one of a kind).
Never sold anything in years, but this time I need to make some room, and hopefully find a new loving owner for some nice lenses I like very much, and I'm not very keen on parting with. Though I can't really find any rationale for keeping duplicate optics
I'd feel much better knowing that my beloved objectives go to a fellow Pentax, instead of being sold on eBay.

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 04-30-2018 at 06:49 AM.
04-30-2018, 06:53 AM - 8 Likes   #12410
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
back in February, i used this thread to relate that I had suffered a detached retina and macula at the optic nerve in my left eye

well I have an UPDATE in case anyone is wondering that is going on:

just got done with my latest eye exam

good news: left eye: vision is roughly 20/25 ( the one that had the detached retina/macula at optic nerve ) with some linear distortions [ before incident, my vision in that eye was 20/25 ]

Right eye ( no problem 20/20 )

no knowing if the distortions are permanent or not, again eye can take 6 months or more for complete hearing

semi bad news - still have 10 % of the gas bubble still in the eye. Dr is sure that it will be completely gone in 10 -14 days. of course, it was suppose to be gone within 6 - 8 weeks of Feb 8.

if there is any bubble left, I cannot fly or change altitudes

so still planning on going to nephew's wedding May 8 in Arkansas and then flying to Yellowstone on May 14.

keeping fingers and everything else crossed.

thank you for your support
final time I will bore folks with this

the gas bubble placed into my left eye on February 8 to attempt to return the detached retina and macula to their proper place and function

disappeared yesterday

this means that all restrictions on my activity have been lifted, I am free to change altitudes, sleep any way I want as opposed to my right side only and I can recline

so I am free to travel to a wedding in Arkansas and then onto Yellowstone National Park

the left eye still has some distortion but hopefully that will resolve in the next few months.

thank you folks for your support and allowing me to vent my frustrations and fears in an thread definitely not designed for that purpose

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-30-2018 at 07:07 AM.
04-30-2018, 07:10 AM   #12411
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yippee!! :d:d
04-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #12412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that new eyes qualifies as the latest acquisition, personally. I'm very glad for you. Enjoy the travel now that it is legal.

04-30-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #12413
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I think that new eyes qualifies as the latest acquisition, personally. I'm very glad for you. Enjoy the travel now that it is legal.
" legal " as in allowed by my doctor yes

since the gas bubble is gone, I no longer have to worry about its expansion as I gain altitude and possible going blind as a result

so it is nice that I face no " pressure " issues as I plan on my trips.

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-30-2018 at 07:29 AM.
04-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #12414
Pentaxian

Congrats on the eye improvement!
04-30-2018, 03:19 PM   #12415
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to read this today! Glad to hear you are off restrictions!
04-30-2018, 04:01 PM   #12416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great news, Aslyfox!
04-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #12417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic news I smell a new thread "images seen through new/refurbished eyes" I am really happy for you. Don't forget the link to your flickr page we want to see Yellowstone.

Back to the thread. I got a Carl Zeiss Jenna tessar 50mm m42, a helios 44m-4, a Chinon 135mm f2.8 and a variety of m42 adapters today. The 135mm has a trace of fungus but is rather nice, the adapters all work although only two give me infinity focus. As for the lenses, the Helios is beautiful but the Zeiss, oh my lord. Once I worked out the peculiar aperture ring I fell in love. The sharpness is outstanding and the damn thing is nearly fifty years old. I am just waiting for my super tak 55mm and some caps for the above. Oh happy day.
04-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #12418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Fantastic news I smell a new thread "images seen through new/refurbished eyes" I am really happy for you. Don't forget the link to your flickr page we want to see Yellowstone.

Back to the thread. I got a Carl Zeiss Jenna tessar 50mm m42, a helios 44m-4, a Chinon 135mm f2.8 and a variety of m42 adapters today. The 135mm has a trace of fungus but is rather nice, the adapters all work although only two give me infinity focus. As for the lenses, the Helios is beautiful but the Zeiss, oh my lord. Once I worked out the peculiar aperture ring I fell in love. The sharpness is outstanding and the damn thing is nearly fifty years old. I am just waiting for my super tak 55mm and some caps for the above. Oh happy day.
Never underestimate the Tessar!
04-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #12419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
final time I will bore folks with this

the gas bubble placed into my left eye on February 8 to attempt to return the detached retina and macula to their proper place and function

disappeared yesterday

this means that all restrictions on my activity have been lifted, I am free to change altitudes, sleep any way I want as opposed to my right side only and I can recline

so I am free to travel to a wedding in Arkansas and then onto Yellowstone National Park

the left eye still has some distortion but hopefully that will resolve in the next few months.

thank you folks for your support and allowing me to vent my frustrations and fears in an thread definitely not designed for that purpose
Great news!
05-01-2018, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #12420
Pentaxian

Found a copy of the "British Journal of Photography Annual 1972" 113th edition in average condition.
Cover

The Annual has some interesting sections and as it is from a time that still had a lot of B&W photography a large percentage of the images are in that medium. 130pages of pictures, 60 plus pages of articles, 28 pages of chemical processing formulae and lots of full page advertisements. Articles include "The Photographer and the Natural World" by Robert McLelland, A review of "State of the Art" (as at 1972) of several aspects of photography and a History of Japanese Photography. Good stuff.

Three of the full page ads are below:

For Nikon collectors

For German SLR collectors

And for the Pentax collectors:

Good value for $8.