Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 12:04 PM - 3 Likes   #12571

Photos: Albums
All I can say is Isco Gottingen 100mm are so cute, especially when silver and cheapish.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 950 Dual SIM  Photo 
05-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #12572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I always keep an eye on Pentax or M42 lenses sold on eBay by Japanese vendors.
I already have plenty of 135mm lenses, it's one of my favourite focals, so I really didn't need to buy another one, but this time the price was very enticing.
I couldn't resist and decided to pull the trigger
I got my 18-135 & 55-300 from japan. Even with duty and postage they were still at least 10% than the UK, and they are mint. Well worth a look. That's a beautiful Tak BTW
05-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #12573
Pentaxian

More boot fair odds and ends:

A Fujica STX1 with 50/1.9
A Canon Eos 500N with 28-80
A weird Altix-N 35mm camera - appears to be made by Pentacon, has no rangefinder or meter but the lens is interchangeable on a weird breech lock, the lens itself is a Tessar 50/2.8 - there's a leaf shutter behind the lens which unfortunately isn't working, but the camera is odd enough that it ought to sell as a collectible.
A Canon T80 with the huge lumpy FD 70-200 autofocus lens - needs a good clean but doesn't appear to have fungus
A Vivitar x3 converter for Nikon F

Total spend was £43, I'm pretty sure I'll make money on them.
05-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #12574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excuses, excuses...

Ricoh XR-X3PF camera body
Electronic multimode manual focus SLR

Perhaps Ricoh's last film SLR, I found comments on it in Usenet (!) by B. Dimitrov himself.
Since this model is now 20 years old, I consider it "vintage" enough for me to try!

I have had three assorted lens cap in my KEH shopping basket for months.
I added this $29 EXC condition film body partly to qualify for free shipping...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-21-2018 at 01:24 PM.
05-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #12575
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chris.britingles Quote
All I can say is Isco Gottingen 100mm are so cute, especially when silver and cheapish.
That is a sweet looking lens! What mount and flange focal distance is it for?
05-20-2018, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #12576

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That is a sweet looking lens! What mount and flange focal distance is it for?
It's available on M42 and Exakta, I have both, re the 'flange' I don't know 😞

However on the M42 I can focus from 1.5 metre to infinity, unfortunately that's not the same on the Exakta where I lose infinity. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the adapter I'm using, Alibaba.

When I get chance I'll have a play and see what I can do.

Oh and please tell me what 'flange' is, in my dirty mind it means something else 😊

TTFN
Chris
05-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #12577
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's available on M42 and Exakta, I have both, re the 'flange' I don't know ��

However on the M42 I can focus from 1.5 metre to infinity, unfortunately that's not the same on the Exakta where I lose infinity. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the adapter I'm using, Alibaba.

When I get chance I'll have a play and see what I can do.

Oh and please tell me what 'flange' is, in my dirty mind it means something else ��

TTFN
Chris
Thanks for the info, Chris... In return, you might benefit from the following:

Flange focal distance - Wikipedia

05-20-2018, 06:32 PM - 6 Likes   #12578
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
finally have some shots of the new (to me) lens:

HD DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited

(several SMU's did not survive the session)
05-21-2018, 02:33 AM   #12579
Pentaxian

It's a real cutie!
I love Isco lenses, I tried to buy the same lens as yours a couple of times, but I always bid too low...
I own the f/4 version with black barrel, though. Called Isconar as yours. Both should be triplets.
There is another 100mm, looking like the one in your picture, which was called Westanar (4.5/100mm). I guess it was a four elements.

Relatively slow triplets don't give bubble bokeh, but OOF rendition is still lovable. I believe that these lenses can have a place in camera bags, not just on collector's cupboards. Still today, even more so after the release of the K-1 (or on a full frame mirrorless).
Unfortunately the MFD is usually quite limited, so these lenses can't be used for subjects close to the camera.
I believe this was prevented by design because the optic doesn't perform too well at close conjugates. This "limitation" could be used today to get funkier pictures. Doable with an extension ring, though.
05-22-2018, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #12580
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today was a good day. I took delivery of my centon 500mm mirror, mint condition, happy, (£50) my brand new in box pentax-A 35-80mm, happy again, especially at £13, then things got really interesting, a super tak100mm macro which is pristine, £80, a decent price, and finally a working Asahi S2a with 2 lenses, a teleconverter, two extension tubes, a hand grip, flash and light meter for £27. On closer inspection I found the lens on the camera is a tak 55mm f2 in great condition, as for the other, its only a Takumar 135mm f3.5 preset that's as old as I am and in far better shape. I am, needless to say, waiting for the sun to come up so I can play! Today was a good day!

---------- Post added 05-22-18 at 04:03 PM ----------

What is "cheapish"

I am hoping to get hold of an isco-gottingen 45mm that was taken off an old camera and converted to M42! I may have a helicoid of a job getting it to focus, worst case, I will sit it on my mantlepiece. They really are handsome as your picture attests
05-23-2018, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #12581
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I recently inherited some knives, Wusthof & Hoffritz, and they are far superior to the serrated-edge, grocery store blades given us as a wedding present 49 years ago that I must use, because they were a wedding present from in laws. My son cooks for a living, and he thinks well of Hoffritz, but his favorite brands are Chicago Cutlery and most especially, Lamson. He also has a Japanese-made cleaver/chopper, looks almost like a tourist piece, but it is really a scalpel-sharp blade that will shorten your fingers without you realizing it happened.
Mostly i now have a combination of better wustoff knives and Shun (Japanese ) knives. the only thing problematic with the Japanese is sharpening, it's a different angle and only one side, but I get free sharpening if I mail to the distributor. for my Wustoff (and other older knives relegated to the give away drawer) I have an electric Wustoff sharpener. I learned long ago (the hard way) to fold back fingers or lose the tips
05-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #12582
Pentaxian

Expanding the Nikon Collection

• Nikomat FTn
  • Zoom-Nikkor 43-86mm 1:3.5
05-24-2018, 01:56 AM   #12583

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Today was a good day. I took delivery of my centon 500mm mirror, mint condition, happy, (£50) my brand new in box pentax-A 35-80mm, happy again, especially at £13, then things got really interesting, a super tak100mm macro which is pristine, £80, a decent price, and finally a working Asahi S2a with 2 lenses, a teleconverter, two extension tubes, a hand grip, flash and light meter for £27. On closer inspection I found the lens on the camera is a tak 55mm f2 in great condition, as for the other, its only a Takumar 135mm f3.5 preset that's as old as I am and in far better shape. I am, needless to say, waiting for the sun to come up so I can play! Today was a good day!

---------- Post added 05-22-18 at 04:03 PM ----------

What is "cheapish"

I am hoping to get hold of an isco-gottingen 45mm that was taken off an old camera and converted to M42! I may have a helicoid of a job getting it to focus, worst case, I will sit it on my mantlepiece. They really are handsome as your picture attests

Sorry for the delay in answering but I'm busy working on my 'new' language teaching system but that's another story.

Cheapish is what I'm prepared to pay and thankfully I've found some real bargains, even on the net! All for under 80€'s some as low as 11.95€, however shipping can be expensive and costly.

2 x135mm
5 x 100mm (4silver, 1 black)
1 x 50mm (two months later and I'm still waiting for the guy to get his finger out!)
and another 2 silver 100mm on their way from the other side of the world.

I think I might sell a couple and look for some more Iscos: 35's, 50's, 180's or start on something totally different?
05-24-2018, 09:42 AM - 2 Likes   #12584
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I don't have any Isco in that focal length.
Maybe the denomination used for the 45mm is not dissimilar from the 50mm lenses made at the same time.
The old f/2.8 fifties are either Westanar (Tessar), or Isconar/Iscorit/Iscolor/Westar (Cooke triplet).
The f/2 and f/1.9 Westar/Westagon/Westromat (or other names) are all 6 elements double gauss as far as I remember.
Excluding the 50mm f/1.9 in its various versions, which has its followers and is not very cheap, IMHO the more useful lenses are the triplets. Especially those in aluminium mount.
The late versions in black, partly plastic mount, are not as nicely built.
The black triplets have front element focusing, not so good for sharpness at close distance, but the glow wide open can be used creatively...
The 45mm you found could be a nice triplet with great bokeh, like the 45mm Cassar made by Steinheil.

Here are my last findings.

The first two pics show a beautiful Mayfair Sankor f/3.5 135mm. I love the look of old preset Sankor's. The iQ is usually above average...

This is a Staeble Telenon f/3.5 135mm in M39 mount for the Braun Paxette. Another beautiful little lens.
It must be adapted because the register is shorter than the Zenith M39. Quite close, though, The mating surface needs some milling, so a lathe is the best solution to do a clean work.

After discovering the qualities of the Revuenon MC f/1.2 55mm (if I had to choose five optics, it would be one of them), and trying two great chrome-nose f/2 50mm (Auto Mamiya/Sekor and Yashica-DX Auto), I got very interested in Tomioka-made "normal" lenses.
So I started to buy other versions of 50/55mm lenses made by Tomioka, whenever I found them on the cheap.
I'm trying to compare the build and the optical performance.
This is the last one:
Auto Chinon f/1.4 55mm

05-24-2018, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #12585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I don't have any Isco in that focal length.
Maybe the denomination used for the 45mm is not dissimilar from the 50mm lenses made at the same time.
Hi
Mine (yes, I won the auction) is a formerly fixed lens that was removed from the vintage camera, converted to M42 then used with a helicoid on a mirror less Sony. I will have to try and work out if it is possible to get infinity focus using a helicoid. He was using a 17-31mm so this may be a good starting point. Worst case scenario, it is pretty.
Attached Images