Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2018, 12:15 PM - 4 Likes   #12646
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Leitz slide projector. Not sure why, but I got this irresistible desire to turn a projector lens into a camera lens. The lens that came with the projector happens to be Colorplan 90mm f2.5. Seems to be a nice lens...
May I suggest that you look here ... The "Projector Lens" Club ... - Page 25 - PentaxForums.com

I took this a few weeks ago with the K-1 and my Colorplan-P 90/2.5 ...

06-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #12647
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
May I suggest that you look here ... The "Projector Lens" Club ... - Page 25 - PentaxForums.com

Thanks! I didn't know about this thread. That's a nice photo too. Quite an encouragement
06-02-2018, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #12648
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kodak is waiting until you all unload your slide projectors to roll out the new Ektachrome.

Chris
06-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #12649
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flash diffuser

06-03-2018, 12:26 AM   #12650
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote

I want to adapt an old Colorplan that I bought back in the eighties.
It was sold to me as a Colorplan, it looks as an early all-aluminium Colorplan, but has no engravings/lettering!
I will also adapt this Leitz projection lens, fortunately it comes with a focusing tube, so I hope it will be usable without the need for a separate helicoid.Found it for a nice price, still waiing for the parcel...

Leitz Elmaron f/2.8 150mm

Any personal experience shooting with the Elmaron?
06-03-2018, 02:23 AM   #12651
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
After 2 years with the DA*16-50, i agree it's not for everyone : it's an acquired taste. The lens is build with a portrayal philosophy. And you need to like the specific rendering.
If you want a "do it all" the 16-85 is way better because it's really sharp wide open, good range, from very wide to quite long. You did a very good choice i think !
I'm not sure about rendering but the 16-50mm has a mediocre reputation optically and a bad one for needing repairs - from what I've read I think it's the lens where SDM failure most commonly strikes. I now have the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 (and have just sold my Tamron of the same specs) and am very happy with it, but this 16-85 could steal some of it's camera time away.

On a separate note, I think I have passed a significant LBA milestone today - I bought a lens for which I have no film body or adapter to be able to use it on digital, no way at all to shoot it. It's a Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8, which has a pretty good reputation and at €10.99 delivered I just couldn't pass it up. I'll probably have to spend double that again for a decent AR to Fujifilm X adapter to be able to shoot it on my X-M1.
06-03-2018, 06:48 AM   #12652
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon F4 "J" (microprism) focusing screen

I probably won't want to rely on the "electronic rangefinder" focus aid.
FWIW I will use my new F4 exclusively with Nikkor manual focus lenses.

Chris

06-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #12653
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm not sure about rendering but the 16-50mm has a mediocre reputation optically and a bad one for needing repairs - from what I've read I think it's the lens where SDM failure most commonly strikes.
I bought my DA*16-50/2.8 in 2007, and it has given me no SDM problems. It is my second fastest lens at f/2.8 - my SMC Takumar 55/1.8 is the fastest - and that makes it useful to me. I'm not much of a pixel seeker; I prefer just to have an image that I enjoy, and the 16-50 has given me quite a few images of that nature over the years. The Tak is just for fun.
My current LightRoom catalogue has these keepers with the lenses I own(ed) (50-135 with SDM failure was replaced with the DA-L 55-300 which was in turn replaced with the DA 55-300 for Quick Shift). So, for me. the DA* 16-50 has given me the most keepers, even combining the 50-135 and the two 55-300's. (7,385 vs 6,141). The M 400 and DA 12-24 are for special purposes and run pretty close to neck and neck.

2,744 with the DA 12-24/4
4,036 with the DA 55-300 and DA-L 55-300
7,385 with the DA* 16-50/2.8
2,105 with the DA* 50-135/2.8
2,245 with the M 400/5.6
06-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #12654
Pentaxian

Today's car boots were a bit disappointing, but I got quite a nice Voigtlander Bessa 1 for £10 - a folding roll film camera, does 6x9 and has a mask for 4x6
06-03-2018, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #12655
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure about rendering but the 16-50mm has a mediocre reputation optically
it's pretty good at what it was design for. Think of it like a fish : it's good for swimming but bad for climbing to trees. pure sharpness is like climbing to tree. the 16-50 is like a fish.
06-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #12656
Pentaxian

I think I have passed a significant LBA milestone today - I bought a lens for which I have no film body or adapter to be able to use it on digital, no way at all to shoot it. It's a Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8, which has a pretty good reputation and at €10.99 delivered I just couldn't pass it up. I'll probably have to spend double that again for a decent AR to Fujifilm X adapter to be able to shoot it on my X-M1.
It is considered by many as the best vintage pancake.
The price you paid is ridiculously low.
I have one cause I hope a friend of mine will sooner or later attempt a conversion to PK mount...
Konica made some great lenses, and this one in particular was very appreciated on film.
I'm curious about your personal impressions. I couldn't test it properly, just tried it on m4/3, using half of the coverage.

06-04-2018, 12:44 AM   #12657
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
It is considered by many as the best vintage pancake.
The price you paid is ridiculously low.
I have one cause I hope a friend of mine will sooner or later attempt a conversion to PK mount...
Konica made some great lenses, and this one in particular was very appreciated on film.
I'm curious about your personal impressions. I couldn't test it properly, just tried it on m4/3, using half of the coverage.
Yes, ìt must have been one of those cases where the seller thought that it's just some old junk lens that no-one except old fogeys will want to use

I understand that the AR mount has the shortest registration distance of any of the common legacy SLR systems so I'm not sure what it could be adapted to other than mirrorless, that's if you want it for anything other than close focus of course.

I may well take a while to get any results as I have no way of shooting with it at present.
06-04-2018, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #12658
Pentaxian

Beer cans ! Beer cans from yesterday's boot sale at Fontaine-le-Comte !!!

Asking price was 20€, but I got it for 15€ after stating that I could not test anything since there were no batteries. I know, I'm tough. Plus it was sold in a Nikon DSRL kit box ...

All like new and working with new batteries ... a Minolta 5000 AF with the protective film still on the base plate bottom, a mini-beer can AF 35-70/4 with hood & caps, a big beer can AF 70-210/4 with hood & caps, a Minolta Program 2800 AF flash, all manuals and warranty cards ... plus the original receipt for the purchase at Poitiers for 4,880.00 French francs in June of '88 ... a price which does not include the big beer can and which is quite expensive for my tastes.

Happy camper because I always wanted to try out the big beer can and now I have both ! I really like these film era Minolta cameras ... really retro cool and they put out some great images.

06-04-2018, 03:32 AM - 2 Likes   #12659
Pentaxian

Another post to "up" the count for the K-1 raffle event ...

This arrived Saturday ... again from the Le Bon Coin French site for 30€ purchase price plus 15€ delivery.

A near mint ME Super with an excellent cosmetics M 100/4 Macro ... I gambled in that I know that this lens has a reputation for front element balsam separation ... or some I have read. There is a faint semi-circle halo on the external limits of the front group. Very thin and from about 11 o'clock to about 6 o'clock. I test shot it with the K-1 and cannot see any adverse effects.

The black ME Super is unused IMHO ... not a single use mark and the bumper cushion looks like it has never been squashed by the mirror. Only problem is that the battery cap is corroded and will not come off at the moment. I put new batteries in by unscrewing the three base plate screws. I will fix this later on ... again a happy camper in that I sold my previous M 100/4 and then had seller's regret ...

06-04-2018, 04:20 AM   #12660
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I want to adapt an old Colorplan that I bought back in the eighties.
It was sold to me as a Colorplan, it looks as an early all-aluminium Colorplan, but has no engravings/lettering!
I will also adapt this Leitz projection lens, fortunately it comes with a focusing tube, so I hope it will be usable without the need for a separate helicoid.Found it for a nice price, still waiing for the parcel...

Leitz Elmaron f/2.8 150mm

Any personal experience shooting with the Elmaron?
Hi, I have not shot with this Elmaron 150mm, but I would think that it should do quite well ... I have an Elmaron 100/2.8 that I like and I will have to dig up an image or two. Please let me know how you do with the 150. Thanks, J