Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #12736
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax FA 28-105/3.2-4.5 : I've been very pleased with it so far ! Construction is far better than expected. Better than WR kit lens, i'd say like the 17-70.
It's really light but feel solid in hand ! barely heavier than the 18-55 WR.

The AF is fast, and relatively less noisy than other screwdrive lenses i've used (F35-70 or Fa28-80 or 18-55). The confirmation "Bip" of the K1 is louder than the focusing gear.

The rendition is decent : a tiny bit soft wide open, get better as soon as you stop even 1/3 stop. A bit of vignetting wide open (suits my style so it's ok). more than the 16-50/2.8.
Color pops a bit more than DA lenses.

For 50€, it's a good buy !

06-14-2018, 03:11 AM   #12737
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Pentax FA 28-105/3.2-4.5 : I've been very pleased with it so far ! Construction is far better than expected. Better than WR kit lens, i'd say like the 17-70.

The rendition is decent : a tiny bit soft wide open, get better as soon as you stop even 1/3 stop. A bit of vignetting wide open (suits my style so it's ok). more than the 16-50/2.8.
Color pops a bit more than DA lenses.

For 50€, it's a good buy !
You got it for quite cheap, usually it sells for more.
I bought two examples to choose the best, but I found no difference. Both are sharp enough for a zoom of this speed/focal. I'll sell one... but i will keep the original hood (one came with no hood).
I guess the new D FA would be better, but usually I don't shoot with AF zooms, so I can't justify the expense.

I think that this lens leaves very little to be desired, considering the price. I paid 110 euros shipment included for mine (the one with hood). Considering the performance, it's still extremely good value.
I tried other two "silver" FA zooms, both with plastic bayonet, and I found that these lenses punch well above their weight.
Despite the plasticky feel, the silver family is quite good optically. The 28-105mm is the best of the trio, with good IQ and better build than the other two.

I prefer to use fast manual focus primes, in my opinion a zoom has to be small enough, have fast enough AF, and good IQ at medium diaphragms.
This lens has all that.
From now on, it will follow my K-1 all the time... just in case I need it.
06-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #12738

I just picked up a promaster gimbal head. I held off getting one due to cost, I thought I had to get a $400-$500 one, but the cameran store suggested this one. I love it. I thought I didn’t like tripods, but with this gimbal, I’m finding I want to use the tripod all the time. It’s great for birding and keeping my camera steady. Love it and wish I picked it up earlier.
06-14-2018, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #12739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
I just picked up a promaster gimbal head. I held off getting one due to cost, I thought I had to get a $400-$500 one, but the cameran store suggested this one. I love it. I thought I didn’t like tripods, but with this gimbal, I’m finding I want to use the tripod all the time. It’s great for birding and keeping my camera steady. Love it and wish I picked it up earlier.
Gimbal heads really do make a difference, don't they? Last year I bought a LensMaster RH 2 and it is almost glued to the tripod. Also price choice, after a recommendation by a fellow Pentax Forums member.

06-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #12740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Nice - My best 35mm SLR was an F1; it's a lovely camera especially for macro / micro work since you have so many options for finders.
The one I usually used was the speed finder, originally intended for sports but also very good as a macro/micro finder.
I enjoyed using my Pentax LX with the FB-1/FC-1 combination so I'm pretty sure I would like the Canon Speed Finder as well.

Chris
06-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #12741
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Canon F-1n body, second version

eBay seller's photo:

Like my recently acquired Nikon F4 and Topcon Super DM cameras, nice copies of
this professional model can be purchased for a small fraction of their selling price when new...

Chris
I’ve looked at F1n’s many times over the years and just didn’t want to start yet another mount. Yours looks nearly perfect. I am envious.

You might see a few Nikon and Contax bodies and mint lenses in the converse thread this summer, as well as screwmount Pentax items. KX | MX | LX should be all I need.

.:
06-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #12742
Veteran Member

It's more than a year that I don't buy lenses... eight months or so ago I bought a used "broken" K-30 (which I repaired).
The fun part is that I don't feel the need for much else, and that's quite unusual... do I need to worry?

06-14-2018, 01:17 PM - 5 Likes   #12743
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
It's more than a year that I don't buy lenses... eight months or so ago I bought a used "broken" K-30 (which I repaired).
The fun part is that I don't feel the need for much else, and that's quite unusual... do I need to worry?

Have you spoken to a good psychiatrist? LBA withdrawal is a serious condition, You'll wind up swamped by money. Remember: there's so little time and so many lenses.
06-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #12744
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Have you spoken to a good psychiatrist? LBA withdrawal is a serious condition, You'll wind up swamped by money. Remember: there's so little time and so many lenses.
A couple of days ago there was a Sigma 70-200/2.8 - one of my dream lenses, even FF capable - in the Italian forum for 250€, a pittance. Didn't feel the impulse to buy it...
06-14-2018, 01:24 PM - 2 Likes   #12745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
A couple of days ago there was a Sigma 70-200/2.8 - one of my dream lenses, even FF capable - in the Italian forum for 250€, a pittance. Didn't feel the impulse to buy it...
Oh, you have it bad! Let us hope that Ricoh releases five or six new lenses really soon.
06-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #12746

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Oh, you have it bad! Let us hope that Ricoh releases five or six new lenses really soon.
A Praktica MTL 3 Camera body
Pentacon MC 50 1.8
Praktica 135 2.8
Strap
Camera Bag
Flash and camera body case $53:00 total
06-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #12747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LBA?

I bought an electric toothbrush and 3 types of brush heads. I was quite shocked how much it all cost.

I also bought a matched set of 20 oz. black Yeti tumblers for our upcoming Colorado trip and a pair of aqua 30 oz. car cups for my daughters. If you haven’t tried a Yeti borrow one. They keep drinks ice cold (or steaming hot) quite literally all day. I was quite shocked at what they cost, also.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-14-2018 at 06:51 PM.
06-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #12748
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This particular F-1n is from an US dealer who tells me everything is working properly. We'll see...

The paint does look real nice, but it's not too perfect to use. There's a little brassing near the strap lugs.

Surprisingly most affordable examples of the Canon F-1 from Japanese eBay sellers look pretty beaten up.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-15-2018 at 11:23 AM.
06-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #12749
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
LBA?

I bought an electric toothbrush and 3 types of brush heads. I was quite shocked how much it all cost.

I also bought a matched set of 20 oz. black Yeti tumblers for our upcoming Colorado trip and a pair of aqua 30 oz. car cups for my daughters. If you haven’t tried a Yeti borrow one. They keep drinks ice cold (or steaming hot) quite literally all day. I was quite shocked at what they cost, also.
I saw Yeti beer cozies at the military PX for over 20.00 each! I was like "Seriously?" ( and $300.00 coolers.Yeesh!)
06-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #12750
Veteran Member

I lost my (new to me)K3/dbg5 grip/55-300 screwdriv lens, and lowpro toploader bag in a home break-in robbery. I barely even used the gear.
Lucked out though, insurance paid replacement cost.
Just scored in the marketplace some sweet items along with replacement camera and body.
Here's what I got-
K3/just 250 clicks
DGB5 grip/also brand new condition.
18-135 zoom new condition/already have one, gonna sell it.
DA 55 f1.8 (not real wild about it, might sell it.
Handheld diffuser
Three different remotes/one is corded
Three different power ND filters 62mm
Three batteries
Giottos rocker blower/cleaning supplies
Hotshoe mount microphone
A cool body flash diffuser kit
32 gb memory card
And a real nice sling style camera bag

All for $700!
All this gear has sat in this bag for three years unused and it is in brand new excellent condition!
I already have a buyer for the zoom for $200 because I already have one, and I will most likely sell the 50mm. So needless to say, there is one happy camper here……!

I apologise for the sideways pic, it's a cell phone pic....I rarely use my cell to take pics
Name:  20180613_151321.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  104.7 KB