Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #12766
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
LBA?

I bought an electric toothbrush and 3 types of brush heads. I was quite shocked how much it all cost.

I also bought a matched set of 20 oz. black Yeti tumblers for our upcoming Colorado trip and a pair of aqua 30 oz. car cups for my daughters. If you haven’t tried a Yeti borrow one. They keep drinks ice cold (or steaming hot) quite literally all day. I was quite shocked at what they cost, also.
Yet, one could buy the Ozark Trail (or maybe RTIC), for much less. Seem to perform the same:

So, Walmart Cost: $8-10, Ozark; $35....I suppose you could spray paint the Ozarks?

06-15-2018, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #12767
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Evie Quote
As a girl I would recommend to get your wife addicted to various beauty (or other sample) boxes: they are not that expensive, but she will be getting packages constantly, so will ignore yours
As I said, it is not necessary beauty boxes, there are samples from food/snacks to clothes to books to almost anything Still, multiple boxes....
I appreciate the suggestion for help, but:
1) M essentially never wears make-up nor uses perfume;
2) M avoids sweets/snacks as she has had a weight problem for many decades;
3) M is fond of particular pieces of jewelry given to her by special people or obtained as souvenirs during our travels, essentially all of it being "costume jewelry." She did not want and consequently does not have an engagement ring. When my mother died, her rings (big diamond on the engagement, diamond-studded wedding) went to my sister, and when she died, one of the rings went to our daughter, the other to our daughter-in-law, as M never wanted them.

M's "frivolous" expenditures are two: 1) travel, which is hardly uniquely hers (she's always willing to take me along, thank goodness); and 2) books - our house easily has 10,000 books, probably more. No use trying to hook her on Book-of-the-Month-Club. She's already on a couple book seller mailing lists, and does indulge herself now and then. But that's READING = something that school teaches you is important and valuable and even a responsibility. What teacher ever told you photography was a worthwhile pastime, much less that LBA was really healthy for your mind?

In truth, I believe M thinks I spend too much money on photography, but then she considers that I don't drink beer, watch football (etc), don't buy a new car until the current one is ready for the crusher, don't lust after a boat to go fishing, don't go hunting or own firearms, etc, etc, and she never never really complains much less reprimands. The only addiction I have is photography, and I'm a hopeless gear-head VAV equipment, been that way since before we met. So, she knew what she was getting, knows what she has and is willing to put up with it, but she will let a little sign of disapproval escape now and then. We're all a bit of a fixer-upper, but sometimes it's better to leave some broken bits as-is.
06-15-2018, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #12768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Yet, one could buy the Ozark Trail (or maybe RTIC), for much less. Seem to perform the same:

Wal-Mart "YETI" Tumbler Knock-Off vs. Real YETI | IS IT WORTH A BUCK? - YouTube

So, Walmart Cost: $8-10, Ozark; $35....I suppose you could spray paint the Ozarks?
Quite Correct. I guess I paid for the embossed ‘Yeti’. I like my new cold cups.

My business is a high service, high fee, high value, branded consultancy. My clients pay a fee (retainer) for independent, comprehensive advice and personalized service. Many competitors are less costly - but I’m so busy I’m even sending some unsolicited inquiries to other businesses that are a better fit for their needs. I get more referrals than I can accept as new clients.

Apparently people are willing to pay me for the embossed Yeti.
06-15-2018, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #12769
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
It strikes me as funny you need to get a mirrorless camera to use the mirror lens.
I totally missed this implication and yes that is funny as heck.

06-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #12770
Pentaxian

Acquired a Nikon F-601 for ~$30 from ShopGoodWill. Seems to be in perfect working order
06-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #12771
Veteran Member

Another clear B+W nano coated 49mm filter. (That I don't really have a need for.) It is worth more than any uncovered lens it might fit so I am curious why I ordered it. I think I misclicked at Adorama. Also a 49-52mm step up ring for my red enhancing filter that I try to use for Astro photography.
06-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #12772

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Another clear B+W nano coated 49mm filter. (That I don't really have a need for.) It is worth more than any uncovered lens it might fit so I am curious why I ordered it. I think I misclicked at Adorama. Also a 49-52mm step up ring for my red enhancing filter that I try to use for Astro photography.
Is it Hoya Red Intensifier? Then it is great for astro!

06-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #12773
Veteran Member

Is it Hoya Red Intensifier? Then it is great for astro!
That it is. I live (according to the darkfinder web site,) in a fairly dark region of Maine, but the shots taken with it on seem to bring out the pop of the stars.
06-15-2018, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #12774

That it is. I live (according to the darkfinder web site,) in a fairly dark region of Maine, but the shots taken with it on seem to bring out the pop of the stars.
I live in DFW (South of Dallas... MW is directly over most light polluted side for me), and I managed to take some MW shots with it (not the best, of course, but oh well...). Though now I like that clearoutside.com shows Bortle scale for your location (easier to know darkness level).

My other two most recent acquisitions before KP were second hand Pentax XS 40mm, and second hand Rokinon 10mm F2.8 - cannot wait to use this for astro, though problem with filters.
06-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #12775
Veteran Member

I live in DFW (South of Dallas... MW is directly over most light polluted side for me), and I managed to take some MW shots with it (not the best, of course, but oh well...). Though now I like that clearoutside.com shows Bortle scale for your location (easier to know darkness level).

My other two most recent acquisitions before KP were second hand Pentax XS 40mm, and second hand Rokinon 10mm F2.8 - cannot wait to use this for astro, though problem with filters.
The XS is really good for Astro! The Rok needs a trip out to the desert to really be put to the test. I hate driving in your area but I miss living out in West Texas, especially when I am shoveling 2 + feet of snow.
06-15-2018, 07:23 PM - 2 Likes   #12776

The XS is really good for Astro! The Rok needs a trip out to the desert to really be put to the test. I hate driving in your area but I miss living out in West Texas, especially when I am shoveling 2 + feet of snow.
Actually, for Astro I have Rok 10mm F2.8, Bower 24mm F1.4, Sigma 50mm F1.4 and a bunch of darker lenses (I used Bigma in Bortle 4 location, on 500mm with astrotracer and on 50mm with astrotracer). Now I am on Bortle 8. XS for me just because it is a very small lens, good for travels. Hope to get to Bortle 4 location again next week (taking only XS, 10mm and 18-135wr with me, because flight)

/OK, ending OT.
06-15-2018, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #12777
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Quite Correct. I guess I paid for the embossed ‘Yeti’. I like my new cold cups.

My business is a high service, high fee, high value, branded consultancy. My clients pay a fee (retainer) for independent, comprehensive advice and personalized service. Many competitors are less costly - but I’m so busy I’m even sending some unsolicited inquiries to other businesses that are a better fit for their needs. I get more referrals than I can accept as new clients.

Apparently people are willing to pay me for the embossed Yeti.
OH! Well, if it's branded stuff for clients, then yeah, I can see you using that. And, I mean, if you're referring inquiries elsewhere, then you're doing it right.

As you were.
06-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #12778
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Portobello Road produced a Teleplus x2 converter for Minolta AF and a Hama Film-Safe X box, total cost £5. Lusted after the big Russian 1100mm mirror lens again, but seriously can't afford it since I would have to buy a mirrorless camera to use it, or go back to 35mm and use a camera that doesn't have the big protruding flash.

Have you actually tried the 1100 on the body you currently have? I found the Rubinar 1000 looked like it would be a problem on K100DS but it just fit, with no contact, and fits easily on K3.
06-16-2018, 01:29 AM   #12779
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really? must try mine sometimes then!
06-16-2018, 01:51 AM - 2 Likes   #12780
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OK, anyone ever heard of a Steinheil Munchen Cassar S 50mm f2.8? I just took a punt on one for £30. I think it has been taken apart but the seller says it is in perfect working order so we will see

Seller photo
Attached Images