Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #12826
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Just bought these work boots for my son who is starting a pipeline construction job next month--steel-toed with metatarsal guard to protect arches of feet. I hope these boots keep his feet safe and comfortable.
Have you by any chance seen the "Myth Busters" show where they test the protection provided by steel-toed shoes? An awful lot depends upon what falls on the shoe = how massive the thing is.

06-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #12827
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Have you by any chance seen the "Myth Busters" show where they test the protection provided by steel-toed shoes? An awful lot depends upon what falls on the shoe = how massive the thing is.
I know a number of carpenters who never wear steel toes because of the toes that disappear when a long 2x10 lands in the wrong spot. Better to break a toe than chop it off in their opinion. I wear them, though, I'm chicken.
06-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #12828
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I know a number of carpenters who never wear steel toes because of the toes that disappear when a long 2x10 lands in the wrong spot. Better to break a toe than chop it off in their opinion. I wear them, though, I'm chicken.
Many are now Kevlar or carbon fiber reinforced to avoid that. Now you get toxic splinters instead if it is that bad. But not as cold as steel toed in the winter!
06-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #12829
Pentaxian

Found a for-parts k-Tak 135/2.5 for $16 so I took a chance. The description is not all bad but we'll see. I'll compare with my 100/2.8M and see who wins.

06-19-2018, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #12830
Veteran Member

All my latest acquisitions (apart from gas and food) are lenses.
And the very last is an almost mint Auto Takumar 55mm f/2.2 (the one with the lever and the chrome nose).
It´s my 3rd Tak in that FL, in fact I think I´m getting obsessed with 55-58mm. I have an overbooking there with more than 10 Helioses (all different models), the Taks and the SMC Pentax 55mm f/1.8 (along with the way too many 50s I also have). As somebody stated, "you can never have enough fifties".
06-20-2018, 12:03 AM   #12831
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have not seen that show. Whether they work or not, you'll not be allowed on the pipeline right-of-way without them! It is worth a search to see whether there is any comparative review of the effectiveness of the different brands. I suspect, however, that most brands are designed to protect against the ordinary accidents incident to the trades, and not against catastrophic but less-frequent accidents--a little like seat belts, perhaps?

---------- Post added 06-20-18 at 03:10 AM ----------

Thanks to all three of you who responded to this acquisition. Here is a rejoinder to the myth-buster story.

Steel Toe Footwear - Are They Really Safer? - MEMIC Safety Blog
06-20-2018, 12:25 AM   #12832
Veteran Member

Latest lens I bought - more than a year ago
10_20 by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr

06-20-2018, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #12833
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
As somebody stated, "you can never have enough fifties".
So true, I have more 50's and 55's than just about anything else.
06-20-2018, 04:25 AM   #12834
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seem to have accumulated a bunch - and I seldom use a 50mm!

Chris
06-20-2018, 05:10 AM   #12835
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I have not seen that show. Whether they work or not, you'll not be allowed on the pipeline right-of-way without them! It is worth a search to see whether there is any comparative review of the effectiveness of the different brands. I suspect, however, that most brands are designed to protect against the ordinary accidents incident to the trades, and not against catastrophic but less-frequent accidents--a little like seat belts, perhaps?

---------- Post added 06-20-18 at 03:10 AM ----------

Thanks to all three of you who responded to this acquisition. Here is a rejoinder to the myth-buster story.

Steel Toe Footwear - Are They Really Safer? - MEMIC Safety Blog

Knowing how similar industries work, most boots are designed to conform to the standard required for legal compliance in jurisdiction. Whether they work against what kind of incident is not a design criterion because a manufacturer who designs to standard can defend themselves with the standard. If they design their own and a wearer suffers injury they need to individually fight a case.
06-20-2018, 05:42 AM   #12836
Pentaxian

I think I need more 50s from the 50s
06-20-2018, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #12837
Veteran Member

Panagor PMC auto wide-angle 28mm f2 for 29€ (including 5€ donation to Emmaüs (a social company like goodwill).

Seems very good. On the screen of the k1 it seems quite good surprise :-)
06-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #12838
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I always leave mine in FF mode. If I want crop I'll carry a smaller kit.
There's no "smaller kit" offering the ergonomics and features of the K-1 for me. I'm more than willing to put up with the size.

And there's no complete equivalent to the 16-85mm on full frame for the moment. The 28-105 is close but not there. So I'm keeping the 16-85 for the time being.
06-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #12839
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got my pancolar today, beautiful! The switch is disabled so focussing at f16 is a pain but what a lens. I also got my Meyer optic domiplan. The aperture is stuck wide open so I will have to take it apart. It was only £10 and it came in a case and with caps so I didn't push for a refund. So, does anyone know where to hit it so the blades move?
06-20-2018, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #12840
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
There's no "smaller kit" offering the ergonomics and features of the K-1 for me. I'm more than willing to put up with the size.

And there's no complete equivalent to the 16-85mm on full frame for the moment. The 28-105 is close but not there. So I'm keeping the 16-85 for the time being.
True enough. I just feel like if I'm shooting with FF, I want to use the whole sensor. I bike commute and usually like to have a camera with me but don't feel like I need to haul out the big guns most days. I've already broken one K-1, I'd like to keep it to just one!