Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2018, 06:05 AM - 3 Likes   #13111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two lenses arrived today! First was a stunning Schneider Kreuzach Edixa Xenon 135mm f3.5 orgasmatron...... OK, I added the last bit but it is stunning! I cannot wait to test it! The second arrived shortly after and this one I did test. I took it out for a walk round the village and the pictures appeared so sharp that I cut myself when I was viewing them. This baby, and possibly my new favourite, is a mamiya sekor 50mm f2! I am in love!

Attached Images

07-12-2018, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #13112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Grocery bargains

I just bought 10 ears of corn for $1.00 and also a seedless watermelon for $1.00.

Interesting question. Where do they get the seeds when they want to plant seedless watermelons?
07-12-2018, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #13113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Where do they get the seeds when they want to plant seedless watermelons?
from watermelons that made seeds without the gene for creating seed

like parents can makes child that are sterile. Same thing.
07-12-2018, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #13114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
from watermelons that made seeds without the gene for creating seed

like parents can makes child that are sterile. Same thing.
Or cuttings.

07-12-2018, 09:22 AM - 2 Likes   #13115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Or cuttings.
What?!? You can grow children from cuttings?!?!?
07-12-2018, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #13116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I don't recommend trying it at home but in a lab maybe... LOL.
07-12-2018, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #13117
Pentaxian

Don't tell Tess. She's always joking about stealing someone's cute kid.

Last edited by normhead; 07-16-2018 at 07:38 AM.
07-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #13118
Veteran Member

I just bought 10 ears of corn for $1.00 and also a seedless watermelon for $1.00.

Interesting question. Where do they get the seeds when they want to plant seedless watermelons?
It's kinda like a mule, the sterile offspring of a male donkey and a female horse.

I believe they are hybrids between parents with different numbers of chromosomes, which result in a viable but sterile plant. You need to have fertile watermelon plants around to produce pollen to get pollinate the blooms of the seedless variety so they produce fruit, inside which it attempts to produce seed but isn't quite up to the task.
07-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #13119
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

a seedless watermelon for $1.00
But where's the fun? Nothing to spit out...
07-12-2018, 10:00 AM - 4 Likes   #13120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But where's the fun? Nothing to spit out...
Have you never seen a watermelon helmet? That's the most fun you can have with a watermelon. Plus you'll blend in with Saskatchewan Roughriders fans, and they know how to throw a good shindig.
07-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #13121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah they call it cloning.
07-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #13122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two plants i can think of immediately that are not grown from seeds: banana and apple.

And within the USA dandelions reproduce more or less by cloning = there are no male & female plants.
07-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #13123
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Two plants i can think of immediately that are not grown from seeds: banana and apple.
Pineapple too, I think... I'm sure I saw a TV programme recently where the pineapple plant was grown from a cutting (I may be getting confused, though).

So... how do plants like these propagate, I wonder?? (apologies for the break from thread purpose - I think we're used to it here by now, though )...
07-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #13124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote

And within the USA dandelions reproduce more or less by cloning = there are no male & female plants.
And yet we have Johnny Appleseed...
07-12-2018, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #13125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So... how do plants like these propagate, I wonder?? (apologies for the break from thread purpose - I think we're used to it here by now, though )...
Vegetatively, as in cutting off a chunk and sticking it in moist soil so the chunk grows into a new plant. Some plants can be propagated by taking cuttings of roots, some you can have success by chopping off an above ground growing tip and convincing it to grow roots and eventually become a stand alone plant of its own. Next willow you see, cut off a handful of ~10" tips from the ends of the branches. Stick the cut off end in a glass of ~5" of water and watch the roots grow (it will take a few weeks, so have a good book on standby).

Mass propagation can be done via tissue cultures where, in labs, they can grow new plants efficiently from very small parts of the mother plant. It can be a problem when your entire crop is genetically identical though, the wrong disease could potentially wipe out all your bananas. We're trading genetic diversity for a fruit that's a sure thing.

I don't know much about apples, but I don't think any apple varieties come true to their parents via seed. In other words, if you want a tree to produce Crispins, you'll have to propagate it from another Crispin vegetatively. You can make more apple trees via seeds, but they might end up even more horrid tasting than the apple you started with (or possibly better).