Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #13141
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Clackers
Nice pics
Did Rob come over to teach us how to bbq ?

Dave

07-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #13142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
BenQ 21.5" Monitor

Small world. I ordered a BenQ GW2280 monitor today.
Will connect to my desktop PC and universal player via its 2 HDMI inputs.

Chris
07-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #13143
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Actually I'm aware of this. I live in NC where we have a lot of apple farms in the mountains. I point out that you can easily get apples from seeds - just not the same apples you might expect. We don't grow our varieties that way but we can make apples that way.
Because the apples we eat are mutants (the originals were tiny, like what we used to call 'crab apples', grafting is the way to go, because any normal reproduction can just regress to earlier forms.
07-15-2018, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #13144
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bought another job lot on eBay, which appears to include a Pentacon 6 body with prism, an Argus, three lenses, and some compacts etc. Sold as untested but it seemed worth a shot for £28 plus postage. Should see in a few days.

07-15-2018, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #13145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Because the apples we eat are mutants (the originals were tiny, like what we used to call 'crab apples', grafting is the way to go, because any normal reproduction can just regress to earlier forms.
Ironically the best apple pie I ever had was from crab apples picked in the woods by me and my mom when I was about 5. The second best was from the tree planted outside my bedroom window in the house I grew up in from about age 15.
07-15-2018, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #13146
Pentaxian

Crab apple jelly (not jam) is very good.
07-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #13147
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Crab apple jelly (not jam) is very good.
Hi Tim
So to the unanitiated whats the difference.

Dave

07-15-2018, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #13148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Tim
So to the unanitiated whats the difference.

Dave
Jelly vs. Jam vs. Preserves - FineCooking

Strained Jelly, Pulpy Jam, Chunky Preserves...
07-15-2018, 11:52 PM - 2 Likes   #13149
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Jelly vs. Jam vs. Preserves - FineCooking

Strained Jelly, Pulpy Jam, Chunky Preserves...
Hi Uncle Vanya
Thanks for that
So its just how thick you want.
Does'nt matter I'll eate'm all

Dave
07-16-2018, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #13150
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Clackers
Nice pics
Did Rob come over to teach us how to bbq ?

Dave
Thanks, Dave ... I'm not sure it isn't him, actually. He gets around and is a man of many talents.

07-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #13151
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
BenQ
Picked up a BenQ W2000 projector the other day. Should work well enough to replace the old slide projector

I rarely watch TV so the only set I have is an old 32" thing, not the best suited for showing pictures.
07-16-2018, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #13152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Picked up a BenQ W2000 projector the other day. Should work well enough to replace the old slide projector

I rarely watch TV so the only set I have is an old 32" thing, not the best suited for showing pictures.

Seems so strange to me to be thinking about selecting a TV on the basis of what would be best for looking at or showing my personally-taken pictures, rather than evaluating the merits of glass-beaded vs lenticular vs matte screens. In the days of Kodak Carousels, matte was regarded as best for detail, lenticular was best for showing to a large group, and glass-beaded worked better in a room that could not be completely darkened.
07-16-2018, 05:53 AM   #13153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
evaluating the merits of glass-beaded vs lenticular vs matte screens. In the days of Kodak Carousels, matte was regarded as best for detail, lenticular was best for showing to a large group, and glass-beaded worked better in a room that could not be completely darkened.
My Carousel and all my slides were ruined in the flood from Sandy.
I bought a brand new Elmo, which I tried to give away when the film supply dried up.
Fortunately for me nobody wanted it. Any news on the new Ektachrome?

Chris

P.S. All of the walls in my new place are painted flat white.
07-16-2018, 05:53 AM   #13154
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Seems so strange to me to be thinking about selecting a TV on the basis of what would be best for looking at or showing my personally-taken pictures, rather than evaluating the merits of glass-beaded vs lenticular vs matte screens. In the days of Kodak Carousels, matte was regarded as best for detail, lenticular was best for showing to a large group, and glass-beaded worked better in a room that could not be completely darkened.
I am not printing 200 images from the latest safari just to bore my family to death when a projector can to the job perfectly well

Edit: Sorry, didn't really read you post, did I

I bought a screen some years ago that was supposed to be good for use in not completely dark rooms. Have no idea what kind, but it works.
07-16-2018, 06:34 AM   #13155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I am not printing 200 images from the latest safari just to bore my family to death when a projector can to the job perfectly well

Edit: Sorry, didn't really read you post, did I

I bought a screen some years ago that was supposed to be good for use in not completely dark rooms. Have no idea what kind, but it works.
When all three screen types were available (they probably still are), some magazine tested and found: 1) you could sit farther to the side of a lenticular and still have an adequately bright image; 2) glass bead, no surprise, reflected the most light and was brightest, but the brightness fell off rapidly if you moved to the side; 3) matte, with neither the vertical ridge-&-grooves of a lenticular nor the texture of glass beads gave the best IQ, and maybe the best color fidelity, but the latter could also be influenced by the projector lamp, condensers and lens. I have found the problem of color-the-way-I-want-it is far worse for digital. Adjust the color of an image on my big desktop with its large, expensive monitor, then the image looks not-quite right: 1) on my laptop; 2) on our very large digital TV; 3) at camera club through a projector onto a huge wall-mounted screen. At least with chromes, what I saw using my Carousel & screen at home was pretty much identical to what was seen using the camera club's Carousel & screen, except the bigger screen tended to reveal dust specks I didn't notice at home. The latter is a problem now only with scans.