Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #13651
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ah. I misread. I have a k-3 already so I will pass. But that's a great find.
Ya, if it was a K3ii I would have got it myself...

08-28-2018, 01:45 PM - 3 Likes   #13652
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Came in today

and

according to parceltracking the tele-takumar went via India. I don't believe them:
08-28-2018, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #13653
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Came in today

and

according to parceltracking the tele-takumar went via India. I don't believe them:
What's the plan with that 200mm f/5.6? It is an interesting bit of kit - small and light but not as light as say a DA 50-200. Is the IQ that much better?
08-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #13654
Pentaxian

What's the plan with that 200mm f/5.6?
it's another part if my Takumar collection. I don't have the 50 200, so I can't say about IQ. Bokeh will probably be better, than the zoom. It seems sharp enough but I have yet to test in in good light conditions so i can shoot at low iso.

08-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #13655
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's the plan with that 200mm f/5.6? It is an interesting bit of kit - small and light but not as light as say a DA 50-200. Is the IQ that much better?

FYI: 12 reviewers give it 9.3 on sharpness, 9.8 on bokeh, 9.3 overall. It is seems to be a very good lens.
08-28-2018, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #13656
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FYI: 12 reviewers give it 9.3 on sharpness, 9.8 on bokeh, 9.3 overall. It is seems to be a very good lens.
Hrm I might have that lens squirrelled away somewhere... you’ve got me curious now... might go see about playing..

Bwahahaha I have so many lenses I don’t even remember what I own

Turns out it’s a 200/4 pk mount. Guess I know what I’ll be playing with today

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 08-28-2018 at 03:45 PM.
08-28-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #13657
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Hrm I might have that lens squirrelled away somewhere... you’ve got me curious now... might go see about playing..

I Singled with the A version of that lens not too long ago - if you can work around the MFD, it's a stunner of a lens....

08-28-2018, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #13658
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I Singled with the A version of that lens not too long ago - if you can work around the MFD, it's a stunner of a lens....
Yes - the 200/4 in SMCP (K) is a sleeper. Mine was $50 in pristine condition.
08-28-2018, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #13659
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Is the IQ that much better?
Fixed focal length.

And count the aperture blades.

That's enough for me. But then I'm not a zoom guy.

08-28-2018, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #13660
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Fixed focal length.

And count the aperture blades.

That's enough for me. But then I'm not a zoom guy.

True enough but also some fixed focal length lenses from the past were real dogs and modern lens design helped a bit with zooms. The DA 50-200 is a bit soft by reputation so I doubted it would beat this lens particularly with the sharpness reviews.
08-28-2018, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #13661
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Yeah the mfd is a bit of a killer. Started playing this morning in the house and struggled a little. I have also been spoilt with and can’t spin that focus wheel fast enough to capture the girls - even though one was specifically walking slow for me

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 09:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes - the 200/4 in SMCP (K) is a sleeper. Mine was $50 in pristine condition.
Mine came in a huge bundle of Pentax lenses from a guy a couple of years ago at a price I couldn’t pass up. I ended up just putting them away and haven’t even played with any of them yet damn lab... lol

Now that I have the kp I’m curious to see what kind of results I’ll get with my gear because I swear the 17-50:2.8 that I own has moved up another notch with the kp compared to my k50 and ks2
08-28-2018, 05:36 PM   #13662
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI: 14 reviewers rated the SMC A 200mm f4 as follows: 8.07 overall, 8.4 on both sharpness and bokeh. Owners of the old f5.6 M42 preset generally think more highly of their lens than owners of the 200mm f4 K-mount think of theirs. Because it is probably a different group in each case, and because they are probably not doing side-by-side critical comparison, it's hard to be sure how much difference there is between the lenses. Certainly the A version in K-mount is far more convenient to use. It has a nifty slide-forward lens hood that should be standard on every lens of 135mm or longer.
08-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #13663
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
FYI: 14 reviewers rated the SMC A 200mm f4 as follows: 8.07 overall, 8.4 on both sharpness and bokeh. Owners of the old f5.6 M42 preset generally think more highly of their lens than owners of the 200mm f4 K-mount think of theirs. Because it is probably a different group in each case, and because they are probably not doing side-by-side critical comparison, it's hard to be sure how much difference there is between the lenses. Certainly the A version in K-mount is far more convenient to use. It has a nifty slide-forward lens hood that should be standard on every lens of 135mm or longer.

I also get the impression that some people rate very old lenses on a perception that what could you expect for a lens designed by cavemen standard rather than a direct comparison scale. Actually I find the old lenses do perform well in an absolute comparison, not just a relative one.
08-28-2018, 11:49 PM - 3 Likes   #13664
Veteran Member

I have the K mount version, but it's a M lens, not an A lens.

This is me using it on the KP this afternoon. Shot wide open.

08-29-2018, 04:56 AM - 3 Likes   #13665
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah the mfd is a bit of a killer. Started playing this morning in the house and struggled a little. I have also been spoilt with and can’t spin that focus wheel fast enough to capture the girls - even though one was specifically walking slow for me
in the ancient days of sports photography and manual focus lenses, the photographers would focus ahead of where the subject was moving to and let them come into focus. You have to stay ahead of the subject and not behind. Stay ahead, set camera to catch in focus and it may help . It is a learned technique. Do not try to keep them in focus at all times. Set up a series of "ficus traps" and let them move into it. That is how I photographed F1 race cars back in the early 1970's when I used to go of the Grand Prix of the US at Watkin's Glen,