Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2018, 05:10 AM   #13666
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
in the ancient days of sports photography and manual focus lenses, the photographers would focus ahead of where the subject was moving to and let them come into focus. You have to stay ahead of the subject and not behind. Stay ahead, set camera to catch in focus and it may help . It is a learned technique. Do not try to keep them in focus at all times. Set up a series of "ficus traps" and let them move into it. That is how I photographed F1 race cars back in the early 1970's when I used to go of the Grand Prix of the US at Watkin's Glen,
Thanks for the tip. I’ve become quite rusty with manual lenses.

Yes I love catch in focus. And when it comes to children just because they come into frame isn’t going to cut it for me. But that’s ok. I used to get a lot more keepers. But it’s the first manual lens I’ve used in closento three years. Whoops. Not quite like getting back onto a bike lol lol lol

08-29-2018, 05:10 AM   #13667
Veteran Member

in the ancient days of sports photography and manual focus lenses, the photographers would focus ahead of where the subject was moving to and let them come into focus. You have to stay ahead of the subject and not behind. Stay ahead, set camera to catch in focus and it may help . It is a learned technique. Do not try to keep them in focus at all times. Set up a series of "ficus traps" and let them move into it. That is how I photographed F1 race cars back in the early 1970's when I used to go of the Grand Prix of the US at Watkin's Glen,
Thanks for the tip. I’ve become quite rusty with manual lenses.

Yes I love catch in focus. And when it comes to children just because they come into frame isn’t going to cut it for me. But that’s ok. I used to get a lot more keepers. But it’s the first manual lens I’ve used in closento three years. Whoops. Not quite like getting back onto a bike lol lol lol
08-29-2018, 05:20 AM   #13668
Pentaxian

Ref Manual focus and CIF - doesn't help if your various lenses have the focus rings in different places and/or rotate in different directions.
08-29-2018, 05:39 AM   #13669
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Ref Manual focus and CIF - doesn't help if your various lenses have the focus rings in different places and/or rotate in different directions.
Bwahahaha

I know right?! I have to keep on checking the damn things to remember which way is which. Almost drove me crazy lol

08-29-2018, 05:39 AM   #13670
Veteran Member

Bwahahaha

I know right?! I have to keep on checking the damn things to remember which way is which. Almost drove me crazy lol
08-29-2018, 05:39 AM   #13671
Veteran Member

Bwahahaha

08-29-2018, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #13672
Pentaxian

Triple post!

08-29-2018, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #13673
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's how I used to shoot soccer, softball and track and field back before recorded history when I did a little stringing at school sports, and got sent to adult games occasionally. In 1978 I was still using a 1957 Pentax and a preset 135/3.5 for sports, and nailed two vertical full page on the sports section from page:
- a high jumper coming right at me lying on my belly to shoot with no background in the frame, legs arms and eyes aimed straight at the camera,
- The meet winner breaking the tape at the end of the 400, both ends of the tape still in the frame.
In the really dark ages, I read from one professional that the only reason to use lenses by other than the manufacturer of your camera was because the manufacturer didn't make it and you really needed it for making money.
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Bwahahaha
A few months ago, I decided to use some recycled M42's on the K-3 on a visit to a local lake. I only took the camera because no one knows what my face looks like, it always has some metal thing with a big glass eye in front of it. One was a third party (and probably third rate) 85-200 lens that was in a camera bag with my 55/1.8 SMC Tak and a pristine Spotmatic F. It zoomed the wrong way and focused the wrong way and to boot, the auto/manual diaphragm switch was the opposite way to the Takumar, too. I hear your pain.
08-29-2018, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #13674
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

THIS! I'm glad we don't have to do this all the time but the technique is still there for when it is needed. I shot high school football with Tri-X pushed to 3200 using various Nikon MF lenses. We were glad if we could read the uniform numbers sometimes! Contrast was HUGE and the IQ was low but if you got the winning play shot you were a hero.
08-29-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #13675
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
THIS! I'm glad we don't have to do this all the time but the technique is still there for when it is needed. I shot high school football with Tri-X pushed to 3200 using various Nikon MF lenses. We were glad if we could read the uniform numbers sometimes! Contrast was HUGE and the IQ was low but if you got the winning play shot you were a hero.
I used to push Trigger-X to 3200 for ice hockey in 1962-5. Grain like golf balls. I did get some useful prints, but not all that often.
08-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #13676
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That's how I used to shoot soccer, softball and track and field back before recorded history when I did a little stringing at school sports, and got sent to adult games occasionally. In 1978 I was still using a 1957 Pentax and a preset 135/3.5 for sports, and nailed two vertical full page on the sports section from page:
- a high jumper coming right at me lying on my belly to shoot with no background in the frame, legs arms and eyes aimed straight at the camera,
- The meet winner breaking the tape at the end of the 400, both ends of the tape still in the frame.

In the really dark ages, I read from one professional that the only reason to use lenses by other than the manufacturer of your camera was because the manufacturer didn't make it and you really needed it for making money.
A few months ago, I decided to use some recycled M42's on the K-3 on a visit to a local lake. I only took the camera because no one knows what my face looks like, it always has some metal thing with a big glass eye in front of it. One was a third party (and probably third rate) 85-200 lens that was in a camera bag with my 55/1.8 SMC Tak and a pristine Spotmatic F. It zoomed the wrong way and focused the wrong way and to boot, the auto/manual diaphragm switch was the opposite way to the Takumar, too. I hear your pain.
I’m currrently using an af tamron 70-300/4 for my daughter’s soccer.

I’m not 100% sure I’ll go back to manual but I should. It’s where I’ve spent the bulk majority of my time with pentax. But yes, some different techniques for Mf that I need to revisit.
08-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #13677
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
I’m currrently using an af tamron 70-300/4 for my daughter’s soccer.

I’m not 100% sure I’ll go back to manual but I should. It’s where I’ve spent the bulk majority of my time with pentax. But yes, some different techniques for Mf that I need to revisit.
For soccer and Track and Field, the FA 100/2.8 macro with the lens switched to MF and center point AF on the camera works for me. The 2.8 aperture makes for tighter DOF and few footballers/runners/jumpers go faster than the K-3's short shutter lag can handle. Pick a shot to take and follow the athlete with the shutter release held down.

Baseball/softball, for example, slides are fun. Focus 2 feet/.5 meter past the base toward where the runner is coming from, set the aperture to f/8, frame loosely enough that the whole player will be in (almost) sharp focus, jack the ISO a tad for shutter speed (or use TAV, 1/500@f/8) follow with the release held down. Let go if s/he isn't going to slide.

Above all else, have fun!
08-29-2018, 05:31 PM - 4 Likes   #13678
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Mrs. Racer gave me a Manfrotto 290 Carbon Fiber monopod for my birthday.

Very light, and it is my first monopod.

(not my image)

08-29-2018, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #13679
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Mrs. Racer gave me a Manfrotto 290 Carbon Fiber monopod for my birthday.

Very light, and it is my first monopod.

(not my image)
Mrs. Racer is a nice Mrs.
08-29-2018, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #13680

I broke down. Ordered up a KP and the 55-300 PLM. It arrived this evening and battery is charging, settings have been set and she’s ready to go to work tomorrow. Weeeeeee! Got my bag of old gear together to sell or trade in.