Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #13741
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Separate checking accounts, separate offices in the same house -- I guess we follow the same advice.
That’s worked for me/us for 38 years.

09-01-2018, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #13742
Pentaxian

Almost us as well for 27 yrs - separate accounts, but have to share the same "office" (the spare bedroom)
09-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #13743
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
This one also has a heating elementl but but for some reason also requires hot intake. It's kinda stupid.
Our Kenmore is like that. The element is used with a button for "High Temp" washing and to heat the insides when drying.
09-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #13744
Pentaxian

This one also has a heating elementl but but for some reason also requires hot intake. It's kinda stupid.
Absolutely!

09-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #13745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not necessarily Household water heaters may be set @ 120~130F, well below boiling point, whereas for a dishwasher to clean effectively it may need scalding hot water, 200F or even closer to boiling. It would take excessively long to raise water that was at room temperature up to 200F, even more time, and energy would be lost if in the winter your water comes in from outside so its temperature is down in the 40's. It takes a long time and a lot of electricity to raise 40 degree water to near boiling. Better to put in water that is already hot.
09-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #13746
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Not necessarily Household water heaters may be set @ 120~130F, well below boiling point, whereas for a dishwasher to clean effectively it may need scalding hot water, 200F or even closer to boiling. It would take excessively long to raise water that was at room temperature up to 200F, even more time, and energy would be lost if in the winter your water comes in from outside so its temperature is down in the 40's. It takes a long time and a lot of electricity to raise 40 degree water to near boiling. Better to put in water that is already hot.
That’s too logical. It doesn’t fit the narrative either.
09-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #13747
Pentaxian

I just got myself a brand new Sigma 10-20 f3.5. I only started playing with it but already it looks like a very nice lens. I don't like the smooth black finish compared to the crinkle finish but nothing can be done.

09-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #13748
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Indeed!

The total energy consumed by two stage water heating (the dishwasher further heats the hot water) would be much the same as for a single-stage water heating (the dishwasher heats cold water). The exact numbers depend on the efficiencies of the home's hot water heater versus the efficiencies of the electrical generating plant and transmission system.

But the bigger issue behind this design is in the cost of the dishwasher and amperage to it. Heating 40F cold water to 200F takes twice the power (and twice the heater size) as heating 120F to 200. The dishwasher can be cheaper and of lower amperage if it can use hot water.
09-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #13749
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Well, I got my Yashika J5 and Auto Yashinon 55mm f1.8. It is pristine. It was first posted at £70, I offered £60 (I wanted the lens) and he turned it down. It didn't sell. He relisted at £65, then £60, then £55, still I watched, still no sale, then, when he dropped it to £50 I pounced. I am certain I paid too much but I fell in love with the lens at first sight. Welltt it is everything I hoped

My compliments!
Your lens is beautiful, and NOT common.
I love chrome nose Tomiokas, but I don't have anything like that.
It kind of reminds me of another nice early Yashica/Tomioka lens a friend showed me time ago.
It had the same speed/focal, IIRC. It was mounted on a very early Yashica camera with bayonet mount. The old bayonet that predated the M42 cameras, not the Contax bayonet. A pity I've never seen any adapter for that uncommon mount

Keeping up with the thread... and with my LBA
I haven't bought so many lenses recently, though. At least not at the same pace of the last four or five years.
Well, let's see.
1) Got a Schneider Tele-Xenar f/5.6 360mm, in impressive conditions, considering the age. I guessed wrong: I thought the C-mount attachment was just an adapter screwed on top of an M42 mount. Wrong, it's the original mount Schneider provided with the lens. Unsurprisingly the front cap reads Angenieux... My friend/repairman said: what's the problem? We'll machine an M42 attachment that will go in place of the C one!
2) Then I found a Pentax-A 4/100mm macro with no caps, bent front filter (but the thread is intact), and with plenty of dirt on the flocking paper at the back. It looked terrible in picture but cleaned nicely and proved to be very sharp.
3) I wanted a normal full frame AF zoom that could take a beating. Found for a nice price a Tokina AT-X Pro 280 2.8/28-80mm with the front filter ring broken at the two sides. Looks like it took a leas a tumble to the ground. In manual the rings are not smooth, but in AF it seems to work fine. Image quality is way better than expected and in the end the gamble paid off (lens sold AS IS, no return). At 28mm focused at MFD the sharpness matches the Tamron prime that follows. Not bad at all
4) Tamron Adaptall-2 01BB 2.5/24mm. Came in Canon FD mount. I took a PK/A ring off a slightly cloudy 70-210mm and gave it a new guest. I guess it will be used when the Samyang is too large for a smallish bag.
5) Samyang 1.4/24mm. Second hand, like new, with box and everything else. Found in the USA. Been long time at the top of my wish list.
6) Soligor C/D "red P" 2/28mm in M42 mount, Tokina made. Has been at the top of my collector wishes for some time. Found it in impeccable conditions at a great price. It's the second member of the C/D P family of pro lenses made by Tokina for Soligor that ends up in my hands. I already have a close relative, also in M42 mount: the 2/135mm. I wish I had them in PK mount. Not easy to find, and likely more expensive. I'll do with the screwmount ones...

It took a few months to find these lenses. None of them could be shipped to Thailand, so three were waiting in Italy, and three in the USA.
When I visited friends and relatives (on my side in Italy and on my wife's side in the States) I could finally pick them up.
I got all of them almost at once. I would have enjoyed much more if I could get them one by one.
Whatever... I tried them all (but the Tele-Xenar), and I found I'm happy with all my new acquisitions. Considering I took some risks, I'm glad all of them are working and were worth buying.
There are two at the top though.
The Samyang is a top lens, at the same level of the 35mm I already have. Sharp modern lens.
The Soligor is beautiful, well built, and has a wonderful OOF rendering.
Very different one from the other, and appreciable for very different reasons. After the first period of use I found out that I love both.

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 09-02-2018 at 02:29 AM.
09-02-2018, 02:49 AM   #13750
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
My compliments!
Your lens is beautiful, and NOT common.
I love chrome nose Tomiokas, but I don't have anything like that.
It kind of reminds me of another nice early Yashica/Tomioka lens a friend showed me time ago.
It had the same speed/focal, IIRC. It was mounted on a very early Yashica camera with bayonet mount. The old bayonet that predated the M42 cameras, not the Contax bayonet. A pity I've never seen any adapter for that uncommon mount

Keeping up with the thread... and with my LBA
I haven't bought so many lenses recently, though. At least not at the same pace of the last four or five years.
Well, let's see.
1) Got a Schneider Tele-Xenar f/5.6 360mm, in impressive conditions, considering the age. I guessed wrong: I thought the C-mount attachment was just an adapter screwed on top of an M42 mount. Wrong, it's the original mount Schneider provided with the lens. Unsurprisingly the front cap reads Angenieux... My friend/repairman said: what's the problem? We'll machine an M42 attachment that will go in place of the C one!
2) Then I found a Pentax-A 4/100mm macro with no caps, bent front filter (but the thread is intact), and with plenty of dirt on the flocking paper at the back. It looked terrible in picture but cleaned nicely and proved to be very sharp.
3) I wanted a normal full frame AF zoom that could take a beating. Found for a nice price a Tokina AT-X Pro 280 2.8/28-80mm with the front filter ring broken at the two sides. Looks like it took a leas a tumble to the ground. In manual the rings are not smooth, but in AF it seems to work fine. Image quality is way better than expected and in the end the gamble paid off (lens sold AS IS, no return). At 28mm focused at MFD the sharpness matches the Tamron prime that follows. Not bad at all
4) Tamron Adaptall-2 01BB 2.5/24mm. Came in Canon FD mount. I took a PK/A ring off a slightly cloudy 70-210mm and gave it a new guest. I guess it will be used when the Samyang is too large for a smallish bag.
5) Samyang 1.4/24mm. Second hand, like new, with box and everything else. Found in the USA. Been long time at the top of my wish list.
6) Soligor C/D "red P" 2/28mm in M42 mount, Tokina made. Has been at the top of my collector wishes for some time. Found it in impeccable conditions at a great price. It's the second member of the C/D P family of pro lenses made by Tokina for Soligor that ends up in my hands. I already have a close relative, also in M42 mount: the 2/135mm. I wish I had them in PK mount. Not easy to find, and likely more expensive. I'll do with the screwmount ones...

It took a few months to find these lenses. None of them could be shipped to Thailand, so three were waiting in Italy, and three in the USA.
When I visited friends and relatives (on my side in Italy and on my wife's side in the States) I could finally pick them up.
I got all of them almost at once. I would have enjoyed much more if I could get them one by one.
Whatever... I tried them all (but the Tele-Xenar), and I found I'm happy with all my new acquisitions. Considering I took some risks, I'm glad all of them are working and were worth buying.
There are two at the top though.
The Samyang is a top lens, at the same level of the 35mm I already have. Sharp modern lens.
The Soligor is beautiful, well built, and has a wonderful OOF rendering.
Very different one from the other, and appreciable for very different reasons. After the first period of use I found out that I love both.
Quite the collection. I prefer when my lenses drip feed so I get chance to test them. I have had the occasional flood, but not like this I keep overlooking soligors, time to address that. Thanks for what you said about the yashinon I fell in love at first sight and am really happy with it. I love the little window that shows the F stop (there's nothing like a little detail). The aperture ring and stop down lever are plastic but the rest is all metal and it all works beautifully. I have two other tomiokas, a yashika yashinon 50mm f 1.7 that is black and silver, and a black and silver Auto Mamiya Sekor 50mm f2 that I used for my single in. Stunning lenses. Thailand eh, do you have a any issues with fungus? Regarding buying damaged lenses, have you ever found that the impact that broke the filter ring also affected the internal workings? Buying imperfect opens the door to getting lenses I can't otherwise afford
09-02-2018, 03:17 AM   #13751
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Thailand eh, do you have a any issues with fungus? Regarding buying damaged lenses, have you ever found that the impact that broke the filter ring also affected the internal workings? Buying imperfect opens the door to getting lenses I can't otherwise afford
LOTS of problems with fungus. Slowly slowly I'm finding some solutions to keep mildew away from my lenses. Paid a price, though
I noticed that modern plastic lenses are more prone to fungi than vintage ones.
Normally if the filter is bent but the thread on the lens is intact there should be no worries. The filter took the beating Brass bends and absorbs the impact.
If the thread is bent or even broken, it depends... I have a couple of horribly damaged old lenses that work as expected.
I had a couple of expensive Sigma zooms (AF, long or fast= heavy glass) that were damaged by a knock on the front of the objective that left no visible damage. Vintage lenses are more forgiving also on this regard.
09-02-2018, 07:06 AM   #13752
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blumoon722 Quote
I got these 3 Canon FL lenses today from a guy on Craigslist. They came with a Canon Pellix QL.
All 3 have great clean glass..no dust, haze, fungus, oil on blades, or scratches.
Amazing considering they're about 50 years old.
It was raining all afternoon today, but will give try them tomorrow.
Jealous
09-02-2018, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #13753
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
We have been living in sin the entire time. Some folks ask why we never married. Our collective response is it works, so it doesn't need fixing, and marriage may ruin it. We rarely disagree or quarrel, and when we do it is reasonably benign. Set up ground rules in the beginning, defined roles and responsibilities, agreed upon who pays what bills, and share the mortgage. She has her bank account, I have mine. If she wants something, she doesn't have to clear it with me, and the same goes for me. We are both responsible with our finances, have great income (although she is fully retired now) so money is never a problem.
We have been married over 42 years and have never combined our bank accounts. For a long time there wasn't enough money in them to even bother. We are both pretty good with money and it has never been an issue. About 5 years ago we added each other to all of our accounts as it would make it easier for estate planing purposes. But I don't bother looking at her accounts and she could care less about mine. Thankfully our frugal habits have paid off and we should do okay through retirement even though my pension was reduced by 90% or so. Trust is a must of your game is a bust.
09-02-2018, 10:17 AM - 3 Likes   #13754
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That’s worked for me/us for 38 years.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
When we got married for convenience we opened joint accounts for savings and checking at my bank,
which was located nearby and had more branches and a far larger ATM network.
Since then her my wife's former bank went under or was acquired.

My wife continues to use those joint accounts for her banking.
I maintain and use separate accounts there, those which I've had since long before we were married.

Chris
Our system has evolved over nearly 4 decades. After discussion we:
  1. Have had no term or credit card debt since 2011
  2. Make the maximum legal contribution to retirement savings plans
  3. Maintain separate accounts with efficient estate planning titling
  4. She paid for college - 3 private college reduced-tuitions (Merit Aid) with a semester abroad
  5. I pay all household expenses, maintenance, joint discretionary expenses such as cars and general planned saving
  6. She is responsible for, well, whatever she wants to do that would be deemed ‘extra’, such as decorating
  7. I pay for whatever I want to do that would be deemed extra or convenient, such as paid lawn care and landscaping.
  8. Around the 1st of July each year we ‘open the books’ to each other and compare the current state to our Financial Plan. If we’re on track (or above track) we negotiate extravagances.
  9. Camera Gear and Estate Sale antiques are extravagances

Last edited by monochrome; 09-02-2018 at 11:44 AM.
09-03-2018, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #13755
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax used to make photo accessories, and I couldn't resist this item for macro experimentation:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo