Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #13936
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
IMHO it's the best zoom Pentax has made in this range (in MF times).
I've only done a couple of shots with it. I like the close focussing distance of 1.2 meters and there is a macro mode at 70mm. I also have the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5, but this may be a better lens.

09-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #13937
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
" complicated "

variable

confused

inconsistent

mixed up

yeah, I get it

precise use of language aids in accurate communication and avoids problems

unless, of course, the language, itself, is imprecise

like English
Frankly, I do not consider English a language. It is an amalgam of only the good lord knows how many other languages. I believe the grammar is based on an old Celtic language sometimes known as Anglish (the language spoken by the Angles) but I could be (and usually am) completely off the mark.
09-22-2018, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #13938
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Frankly, I do not consider English a language. It is an amalgam of only the good lord knows how many other languages. I believe the grammar is based on an old Celtic language sometimes known as Anglish (the language spoken by the Angles) but I could be (and usually am) completely off the mark.
BEWARE! You are inviting lectures and opinions that will exceed those for the best set of six lenses.
09-22-2018, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #13939
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
BEWARE! You are inviting lectures and opinions that will exceed those for the best set of six lenses.
I should have started it during the K1 contest - we would have had a large number of people involved.

PS: I am taking the following lenses with me for an attempt to photograph amorous bison nest week. DA 12-24, DA* 16-50, DA 55-300, SMC Takumar 55/1.8, FA 100/2.8 macro and M 400/5.6. Six lenses that I love.

I also will be taking a 50 mm extension tube (shortens the minimum distance for the M 400 enough for a 5x7.5 inch field of view) my AFA 1.7x (680 mm if the amorous animals are shy) the AF540 flash if they hide in the dark, an extension cord for the flash to avoid eye shine, a "Gorillapod" for table top work, my trusty Manfrotto 055B legs with LensMaster 2 Gimbal head, and release cord.

Since I will be in Northern Alberta (Elk Island National Park) I am also taking foul weather gear, two sets of Stanfields (Canadian for long johns) lots of socks to wear in my snow boots, light and heavy parkas, toques, scarves, ski mask, etc. and 30 lb of propane in the trailer so I can run the furnace, hot water tank and stove in my 1981 17 ft 5th wheel trailer. It makes for a very compact traveling house. 11 meters connected (35 feet) long including the tow vehicle.

I acquired the lady (or she acquired me) 24 July 1965. We acquired the trailer 31 March 1992 (it was built in June 1981) and we acquired the Tundra 6 Sept 2003. The photo is from a month long trip in 2007, taken with a K10D.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SP-3000  Photo 

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 09-22-2018 at 03:33 PM.
09-22-2018, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #13940
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Frankly, I do not consider English a language. It is an amalgam of only the good lord knows how many other languages
Show me a language that isn't an amalgam of different languages!

I believe the grammar is based on an old Celtic language sometimes known as Anglish
English originally started at the end of the Roman occupation, but the language was not primarily based on a Celtic language, but on Anglo-Saxon, a Germanic language. Over the centuries it has changed drastically.

When I was at school we were taught Chaucer who wrote his famous Canterbury Tales in the 14th century in what is known as "middle English". Only about 50% is recognisable to an English reader today. This would have been a controversial decision at the time when the language of the court and upper classes was French. Indeed it has been suggested that had he written the Tales in French then that would have become the common language of the land.
09-22-2018, 04:28 PM - 2 Likes   #13941
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
In the mid 1400s King James the IV tried an experiment by putting two newborn infants on an isolated island with a deaf and dumb nurse to care for them, hoping to discover the true language that they spoke. The results of this experiment are lost in time and folklore, the experiment may not even have happened. Some people said they spoke perfect Hebrew, however Walter Scott said it was more likely that they bleated like the sheep on the island.
09-22-2018, 05:48 PM - 3 Likes   #13942
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

gonna need some more SMU's.... I've started my M42 collection...

09-22-2018, 05:55 PM - 2 Likes   #13943
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
gonna need some more SMU's.... I've started my M42 collection...
What a pity! I can help find permanent storage for the SMU's after they've been used once.
09-22-2018, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #13944
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

English originally started at the end of the Roman occupation, but the language was not primarily based on a Celtic language, but on Anglo-Saxon, a Germanic language. Over the centuries it has changed drastically.

When I was at school we were taught Chaucer who wrote his famous Canterbury Tales in the 14th century in what is known as "middle English". Only about 50% is recognisable to an English reader today. This would have been a controversial decision at the time when the language of the court and upper classes was French. Indeed it has been suggested that had he written the Tales in French then that would have become the common language of the land.
As an English Language major in the 70’s (note - not a Literature major) I agree with your assessment. I learned Middle English taught as a foreign language. We of course read and read aloud Chaucer to demonstrate competence, and translated to modern English hundreds of lines weekly. Honestly, that course - 401 / 402 required for the major - was the toughest course I took as an Undergraduate. Tougher than Logic. Tougher than Probabilty and Statistics. Yikes.

I’ll add that approximately 40% of the words in the mid-20th-century Oxford English Dictionary are from Romance languages, essentially Latin, but the structure and grammar of English is Germanic - and therein lies the problem.

Unfortunately I speak Amerish, so I’ve forgotten all I learned.
09-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #13945
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Boot: a compartment, usually on the rear of an automobile, in which one carries luggage.
Except on the VW Beetle, Chevy Corvair and the Porsche 911.
09-22-2018, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #13946
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Hi Peter

The only language I can think of would be the Australian Aborigine ,though they have many dialects as well

Dave
09-22-2018, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #13947
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Over the centuries it has changed drastically.
Yo, fo schizzle bro.
09-22-2018, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #13948
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As an English Language major in the 70’s (note - not a Literature major) I agree with your assessment. I learned Middle English taught as a foreign language. We of course read and read aloud Chaucer to demonstrate competence, and translated to modern English hundreds of lines weekly. Honestly, that course - 401 / 402 required for the major - was the toughest course I took as an Undergraduate. Tougher than Logic. Tougher than Probabilty and Statistics. Yikes.

I’ll add that approximately 40% of the words in the mid-20th-century Oxford English Dictionary are from Romance languages, essentially Latin, but the structure and grammar of English is Germanic - and therein lies the problem.

Unfortunately I speak Amerish, so I’ve forgotten all I learned.
The upside is that after doing a year of Middle English, Shakespeare reads like modern text. (Admittedly not my most recent acquisition... but I paid for the courses, so...)
09-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #13949
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
The upside is that after doing a year of Middle English, Shakespeare reads like modern text. (Admittedly not my most recent acquisition... but I paid for the courses, so...)
The downside was men fluent in French made a better first impression on most women, excepting those who had an ear for cadence and meter.

We of course read a broad syllabus of English Literature through the late 19th C. Shakespeare 301 / 302 was taught by Irby Cauthen, Dean of the College of A&S - also a challenging course. An A was essentially Masters-level work. He was a stickler for clear, concise writing.

Quite a lot of History, Religion (at the time that was the Department name and offered as a Major) and some Economics (history thereof). Senior Final Exams for Majors (separate from course exams) were multi-disciplinary, examining whether language drives history or history drives language.

If I thought I could have made a living in the academe I’d have sat for a Ph.D. One of my daughters did. She’s an Americanist.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-22-2018 at 07:32 PM.
09-22-2018, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #13950
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The downside was men fluent in French made a better first impression on most women, excepting those who had an ear for meter and cadence.

We of course read a broad syllabus of English Literature through the late 19th C. Shakespeare 301 / 302 was taught by Irby Cauthen, Dean of the College of A&S - also a challenging course. An A was essentially Masters-level work. He was a stickler for clear, concise writing.

Quite a lot of History, Religion (at the time that was the Department name and offered as a Major) and some Economics (history thereof). Senior Final Exams for Majors (separate from course exams) we’re multi-disciplinary, examining whether language drives history or history drives language. If I thought I could have made a living in the academe I’d have sad for a Ph.D. One of my daughters did. She’s an Americanist.
Here in Canada, men who are fluent in French are far more common than men who can quote Shakespeare.

Take the Chaucer first if it's permitted. The rest of English literature flows easily after that. (Alright, not Beowulf.) I do realize that the likelihood of anybody actually needing this advice being on here id vanishingly small.

Multidisciplinary liberal arts : so profoundly enriching yet so hard to make a living and such a luxury these days.

Last edited by eyrr; 09-22-2018 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Changed verb to agree with subject