Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #14176
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
The 50 & 55mm are tomiokas as are the yashika auto yashinon& auto chinon 55 f1.7 & f1.4. I have two yashikas and they too are incredible.
Interesting... I do have a auto chinon 50/1.7 which I actually really enjoy... Also, my Electro 35 is a Yashinon lens... Had no idea re Tomioka until now, lots of good stuff out there!

---------- Post added 10-14-18 at 07:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
These Tomioka designs are bokehlicious!
Sharpness is quite good too.
Some early Yashica lenses are almost the same as Mamiya Sekor ones. The chrome nose ones, I mean.
While your 1..8/55mm seems very similar to the Chinon.
I have to go back to my Chinon... I do like it, but I found the Mamiya awesome from the get-go

Never searched for info about the 35mm.
I'm curious to know how you like it after some testing.
SO far so good! lees sharp than the 55, but rendering is really nice. I like it better than my 35/3.5 tak and M series counterparts.

10-14-2018, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #14177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some early Yashica lenses are almost the same as Mamiya Sekor ones. The chrome nose ones, I mean.
While your 1..8/55mm seems very similar to the Chinon.
I'd love to have the early versions with good mechanic and a beautiful design of the barrel in PK mount.
M42 lenses are not so practical, especially if used together with PK ones.
This is my only (minor) complaint.
Even the humble 2/55mm has a beautiful rendering, on par with more celebrated optics.
I really like Tomioka made/designed fifties!
According to what I found online the 28mm and 135mm are not at the same level.
It would be nice for someone to have a Mamiya lens thread. I have two of the medium format Mamiya lenses, the 80mm f 1.9 and the 150mm f 3.5. These are usable as adapted lens on the K-1, but not on the 645N/D/Z because of incompatible registry distances. I am now inspired to search for the 50mm and 55mm.
10-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #14178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I think you might have had experienced the SX line from Mamiya... those have a "lip" that, based on some reading from other places, users either file off of disengage somehow.
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Yes, I have a version of the SX with that lip filed off. I bought the lens from my neighbor for 10.00 US, he did a hack job filing it down but the lens worked fine.
Yes, you're both right - I hadn't realised they'd made M42 lenses without the open aperture fittings. I'm not sure if it was the little pin or the rim that got stuck the last time I had one, it was very annoying anyway...

---------- Post added 10-14-18 at 05:57 PM ----------

later - forgot to mention the latest tranche of stuff (hopefully) - weather was horrible today so I stayed home and pursued a couple of job lots on ebay. Hopefully I've got

A Nikon F65 with Series e 50mm and a 28-80 AF
An Olympus OM20 with a Zuiko 50/1.8
A Zenit EM with a Helios 44M
A Canon 300V body
An Exa with a Domiplan 50/2.8
A Baldixette
And an electronic flash, a tripod head and a 110 camera which is probably headed to charity shop heaven.

Total spend on that lot was £87.45 but if the Nikon lenses are OK I'm fairly sure to make a profit

Also bought a Rolleiflex QBM to Eos adapter ring for a tenner; I've got a couple of lenses that need testing in this mount.
10-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #14179

the past week yielded an Auto 110 with a 24mm lens, hiding on a thrift store shelf for $2. Also, for work, a Smith Victor copy stand with panel lights. Seems perfect for my macro work as it has a scale grid. Not as stout as our trusty old polaroid mp3.

10-15-2018, 12:40 AM   #14180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Yes, you're both right - I hadn't realised they'd made M42 lenses without the open aperture fittings. I'm not sure if it was the little pin or the rim that got stuck the last time I had one, it was very annoying anyway...

---------- Post added 10-14-18 at 05:57 PM ----------

later - forgot to mention the latest tranche of stuff (hopefully) - weather was horrible today so I stayed home and pursued a couple of job lots on ebay. Hopefully I've got

A Nikon F65 with Series e 50mm and a 28-80 AF
An Olympus OM20 with a Zuiko 50/1.8
A Zenit EM with a Helios 44M
A Canon 300V body
An Exa with a Domiplan 50/2.8
A Baldixette
And an electronic flash, a tripod head and a 110 camera which is probably headed to charity shop heaven.

Total spend on that lot was £87.45 but if the Nikon lenses are OK I'm fairly sure to make a profit

Also bought a Rolleiflex QBM to Eos adapter ring for a tenner; I've got a couple of lenses that need testing in this mount.
Did you get the zenith em and Helios 44 off eBay? Was the Helios silver? Did you pay £26 if so, I was the one you out bid and I couldn't bid again in time :'(

Although, you probably saved me from the instant gratification monkey! I have a 44-2 and a 44-4 and I don't need another camera body ) I hope it is as nice as it looks

Last edited by Cerebum; 10-15-2018 at 01:02 AM.
10-15-2018, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #14181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like your 1.8/55mm, which seems very similar to a Yashica. While the 35mm reminds of German ones (Revuenon or Porst) and maybe a late Chinon.
It's very interesting to see that the coating has changed a lot from one generation to the other.
I'd love to have the early versions with good mechanic and a beautiful design of the barrel in PK mount.
M42 lenses are not so practical, especially if used together with PK ones.
This is my only (minor) complaint.
Even the humble 2/55mm has a beautiful rendering, on par with more celebrated optics.
I really like Tomioka made/designed fifties!
According to what I found online the 28mm and 135mm are not at the same level.
I just bought a nice condition 28mm tomioka made chinon. I will do a sharpness comparison with the 50mm and let you know
10-15-2018, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #14182
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Interesting... I do have a auto chinon 50/1.7 which I actually really enjoy... Also, my Electro 35 is a Yashinon lens... Had no idea re Tomioka until now, lots of good stuff out there!
I have no idea about the 1.7/50mm. I own one. Can't say if it's Tomioka, Cosina, or Cosina/Tomioka
It's considered a good lens too.
All of them are good, from f/1.2 to f/2.
IIRC the Pentax 2/50mm is a 5-elements design, while all the Tomioka family is at least 6-elements (7-elements the faster ones).
I found that some Tomioka lenses are actually a tad better than their Pentax equivalent, despite the superior SMC coating of the latter.
Never tried the 28mm and 35mm. The 135mm I own has not been properly tested. First impression: (as reported by others) there is better, there is worse.
I am pleasantly surprised by the 35mm. As far as I understand you consider it much better than average.
It's not as common as the 28mm and 135mm, which explains the relative lack of info.

Btw, I like a lot the black and chrome livery of your Mamiya Sekor 55mm!
Looks almost the same as my 2/55mm.
My example has withstood very well the injuries of time. It works smoothly, as if it was new!

---------- Post added 15-10-18 at 01:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I have two of the medium format Mamiya lenses, the 80mm f 1.9 and the 150mm f 3.5.
I envy your 1.9/80mm!
It should work fine as portrait lens on the K-1.
What's your impression?
I remember when you bought it. More or less at the same time you acquired the CZJ Sonnar 180mm.
I guess both could find their place along proper PK lenses. I mean, not just as a kind of sideline second duty...

10-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #14183
Pentaxian

Did you get the zenith em and Helios 44 off eBay? Was the Helios silver? Did you pay £26 if so, I was the one you out bid and I couldn't bid again in time :'(

Although, you probably saved me from the instant gratification monkey! I have a 44-2 and a 44-4 and I don't need another camera body ) I hope it is as nice as it looks
eBay UK, but it was in a big job lot with the Nikon and Olympus I mentioned, cost a lot more than £26

And today's surprise find was a Sigma 28-70 4.5-5.6 in Nikon AF fitting, working well but has the usual disintegrating black coating problem, for £9. Cleaned up quite well, fortunately.

Meanwhile the seller of an Nikon mount Tamron 70-300 I bought very cheaply has just contacted me to say there's a crack in the tube they hadn't noticed - did I still want it? Having seen a photo it looks like it's at least 5cm long and open a couple of millimetres, which means there's probably lots of lovely dust and fungus spores inside by now, so I've very politely said no and they're giving me a refund.
10-15-2018, 07:35 AM - 3 Likes   #14184
Pentaxian

am pleasantly surprised by the 35mm. As far as I understand you consider it much better than average.
It's not as common as the 28mm and 135mm, which explains the relative lack of info.
Well, this is a sample taken from the 35mm (X-post from bridges thread):

Btw, I like a lot the black and chrome livery of your Mamiya Sekor 55mm!
This is my first non-black lens (for lack of a better description), it looks so nice mounted on the camera!!! It is an added bonus, and I think it scores a few extra points for that reason.
10-15-2018, 07:46 AM - 3 Likes   #14185
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Small world, I guess ... I came across this at my thrift store last week and snagged it for 4€ (written upside-down on the camera back) ... a "Cosinon Auto F=1.4 f=55" which was cosmetically and optically great but the helicoid was like rubbing two pieces of 80 grit sandpaper together. I have opened it and fixed that, but I need to go back in again to clean up a bit of oil on the blades. It works fine in "M", but will not completely return to wide open in "A" mode. The Ifbaflex T1000 body will not fire (but it will wind) and the timer seems jammed, so into the "spares box" for maybe later.

This Cosina looks a lot like my other Tomioka possible lenses ... that being an "Auto Chinon 55/1.4", an "Auto Rikenon 55/1.4" and an "Universon 55/1.4" which looks exactly the same as the Rikenon. I will have to get them all out together for a comparison ... cheers, J

10-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #14186
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Small world, I guess ... I came across this at my thrift store last week and snagged it for 4€ (written upside-down on the camera back) ... a "Cosinon Auto F=1.4 f=55" which was cosmetically and optically great but the helicoid was like rubbing two pieces of 80 grit sandpaper together. I have opened it and fixed that, but I need to go back in again to clean up a bit of oil on the blades. It works fine in "M", but will not completely return to wide open in "A" mode. The Ifbaflex T1000 body will not fire (but it will wind) and the timer seems jammed, so into the "spares box" for maybe later.

This Cosina looks a lot like my other Tomioka possible lenses ... that being an "Auto Chinon 55/1.4", an "Auto Rikenon 55/1.4" and an "Universon 55/1.4" which looks exactly the same as the Rikenon. I will have to get them all out together for a comparison ... cheers, J

The lens looks really good, should be a good performer once you've solved the last problems. Sounds like you got a real bargain.
10-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #14187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
eBay UK, but it was in a big job lot with the Nikon and Olympus I mentioned, cost a lot more than £26
B**ger! That means it went to someone I dont know! I would rather you had landed it because it was a silver Helios 44 and other than stiff focus it looked really nice.

Question, is there a market in camera bodies or should I just donate them to a collector who's obsession brake is permanently disengaged? I have been buying camera bodies for the m42 lenses. I fully intend to keep one or two but the others ...
10-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #14188
Pentaxian

B**ger! That means it went to someone I dont know! I would rather you had landed it because it was a silver Helios 44 and other than stiff focus it looked really nice.

Question, is there a market in camera bodies or should I just donate them to a collector who's obsession brake is permanently disengaged? I have been buying camera bodies for the m42 lenses. I fully intend to keep one or two but the others ...
No, this is just a boring black one, nothing really special. The only silver Helios I've ever had was a manual M39 model, sold for £38 plus postage in average condition.

I generally try to sell good working bodies but I feel lucky if they get much above the initial bid - that's for the less collectible ones e.g. Zenit, Praktica, etc., of course. Collectible stuff can earn a lot more, of course. e.g. Olympus OM1, Canon A1 (can go for £40 in good condition), and so forth. Something like a Nikon F2 or F3 or a Canon F1 can easily top £100-£150
10-15-2018, 12:33 PM - 4 Likes   #14189
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just received from a forum member a Pentax DA-Limited Lens Trio Case

easily holds my SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited, SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited, and SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro with rear and front caps and their individual pouches

if I just put the lenses, rear and front caps in, without the pouches, I can fit my SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited as well with room for a cleaning cloth or other item
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-15-2018 at 12:45 PM.
10-15-2018, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #14190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
just received from a forum member a Pentax DA-Limited Lens Trio Case

easily holds my SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited, SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited, and SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro with rear and front caps and their individual pouches

if I just put the lenses, rear and front caps in, without the pouches, I can fit my SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited as well with room for a cleaning cloth or other item
Looking good, you sly fox you.