Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2018, 05:33 AM   #14401
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
I do believe my number of M42 lenses in my arsenal is now around 25 ......LOL

I don't know that I'm going to amass that many - only a few of them actually interest me; with the holidays coming up, I'm hoping to add a Takumar 105mm to my collection and then see where I sit....

11-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #14402
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Slightly better day for car boot sales, with some Pentax gear for once - an MZ30 with a 35-80 AF zoom which is working well and I will probably take out on my K200 for test shots tomorrow.
Also a Sigma 35-200 manual focus zoom for Nikon, not very nice condition, and an Isco-Optic Ultra MC 2/90mm projector lens - the last one I had sold for silly money - plus two kitchen timers and a multi-voltage power supply for £15 total spend.
11-04-2018, 11:41 AM - 2 Likes   #14403
Pentaxian

Promediagear Katana Jr. side mount gimbal. Mostly air, 1.8lbs and very stable.

11-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #14404
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting Gimbal head, that. I'm using the RH-2 and quite like it, but it looks a bit heavier than your Katana Jr.

11-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #14405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Interesting Gimbal head, that. I'm using the RH-2 and quite like it, but it looks a bit heavier than your Katana Jr.
It is a lovely piece of machinery. I tend to carry the gear on my back and wonder why I'm so tired when I get to the top of the hill.
11-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #14406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It is a lovely piece of machinery. I tend to carry the gear on my back and wonder why I'm so tired when I get to the top of the hill.
Gee, I don't understand why you are tired at all. I only carry a Manfrotto 055B with the RH-2 and all the list of stuff in my signature, leaving the film cameras at home.
11-04-2018, 03:33 PM - 3 Likes   #14407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rubbermaid Commercial Wheeled Bucket with Wringer and cloth string mop to clean up after the sewer line decided Sunday morning, with overnight guests in the house, is the day to present the blockage. Overtime Emergency Sewer Service, lateral cabled 100’ in from the breather and 40’ out to the street. Nice young man, though.

Why do these things never happen on a weekday?

11-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #14408
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Why do these things never happen on a weekday?
They do.

You're just away at work and don't notice.
11-05-2018, 05:55 AM   #14409
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Real winter tires have the mountain and snowflake symbol which means the tires meets a requirement for traction and the rubber it is made of. I would not drive in the winter where I live without the mountain and snowflake symbol.
That symbol is what's mandatory in Quebec
11-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #14410
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That symbol is what's mandatory in Quebec
So it is, I sort of knew that. As for elsewhere in Canada, BC is the only other place requiring them by law (and in only certain mountain area, ie. where I live) but they can be M+S or Snowflake. Other provinces just have legislation for when studded tires are allowed, no winter tire requirements. We get plenty of vehicle crashes where the owners though they were good on their 'all seasons' going 80 km/h through a winding canyon road (where the limit is actually 60) in a foot of snow at -20°C.
11-05-2018, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #14411
Pentaxian

Latest thrift store odds and ends ... for 2€ last week a very nice Canon AE-1 with a new (old) roll of HP5 inside and two Canon FL extension tubes (15mm & 25mm). I guess that it was so cheap since the battery door was missing. I put in a new battery and all works AOK ... the tubes will go great with my FL 55/1.2. That one should be some fun.

Plus an update ... remember that Bronica ETR that I picked up super cheap, but would only fire at one speed (default of 1/500)? Well, before giving up, I posted this problem on the APUG site and I was advised not to use a lithium battery, but rather an alkaline one. Sure enough, it works now ... I would have not thought about this being a possible cause of my problem ... live and learn. A test roll is loaded in it and awaiting a sunny moment to shoot.

11-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #14412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
So it is, I sort of knew that. As for elsewhere in Canada, BC is the only other place requiring them by law (and in only certain mountain area, ie. where I live) but they can be M+S or Snowflake. Other provinces just have legislation for when studded tires are allowed, no winter tire requirements. We get plenty of vehicle crashes where the owners though they were good on their 'all seasons' going 80 km/h through a winding canyon road (where the limit is actually 60) in a foot of snow at -20°C.
We certainly see our (un)fair share of them on Highway 3. I remember one constable who was a square dance caller telling us one Friday that he couldn't call that night because he "had to go charge entry fees to Albertans" -- we used to have a bunch of them would try to make it from Calgary to Whitefish Montana in time for the last ski run of the day. They would be bombing past here at 120 (70) on icy roads with cheap all season tires. Some of them never got there. PS: the speed limit was 80 kph (50), so the "fees" were pretty pricey.
11-05-2018, 09:58 AM - 2 Likes   #14413
Veteran Member

I just took delivery of a vintage Pentacon 135/2.8. I'd recently been made aware of the lens by a German friend, who highly recommended the earlier version of it. I was fortunate to buy one that looks brand new, with caps and case, and with the 15 blade aperture. Though the weekend was too busy for me to do much shooting with it, I am looking forward to taking it out this week to put it through its paces.
11-05-2018, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #14414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
with the 15 blade aperture
I think this Pentacon version is known as the Bokeh Monster. Great find! Looking forward to seeing some pictures taken with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
Though the weekend was too busy for me to do much shooting with it
C'mon man, where are your priorities?
11-05-2018, 12:00 PM - 2 Likes   #14415
Pentaxian

Found one of the Pentax-K lenses I still miss, and I really wanted to buy.
I did not buy it for collection purpose only, it should be a good "user" lens too!
SMC Pentax 1:3.5 24mm.
It's the first version with the SMC in all caps.
Some people say that they like their 2.8/24mm.
I have the Pentax-A version, that keeps the same optical design of the Pentax-K of identical speed/focal. Good lens, but I expect the earlier f/3.5 version to be better.
I waited long time cause it's not super common, and usually sells for a rather high price.
Got mine for very cheap, from a Japanese eBay vendor, because it was sold AS-IS (haze and dust problems).
My SMC Pentax 3.5/28 had some fungus too, and it cleaned up nicely. I hope to be as fortunate with the 24mm

I received the Soligor G/S Auto-Tele 5.6/400mm, multicoated and in PK mount.
The iris was stuck open. Second lens in a row, after the Apo Telezenitar, that comes with the exact same problem!
I could not solve the problem of the russian lens (it will go to a friend in Italy with the hope that it could be fixed and does not need spares), however I could fix the Soligor.
One microscopic screw had got loose and of course it was lost. I have no spare screws here, so I truncated the tip of a wooden skewer and pressed it in the place of the screw.
I could have used a drop of nail polish to secure it... but my wife is not here I hope it will not get loose and fall inside the camera.
Maybe I will reopen the lens and find a better solution. What deters me is that correctly reassembling the actuator of the diaphragm lever is not so simple
I should make some more experience tearing down and CLA'ing a couple of dirty cheap lenses. Unfortunately I have nothing like that with me at the moment.

Here is the front of the Soligor. It's made by Sun, and has four elements in four groups. Did a couple of shots, and while I was not super impressed by the sharpness (I should retry with a tripod), it didn't show the strong fringing that is usually expected from an old long tele like this.