Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Quite a set! Congrats
Thanks, I am over the moon beautiful stuff, Ian

11-08-2018, 06:30 AM - 4 Likes   #14447
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have one or two long desired lenses that will probably come before Xmas... so I promised myself that I would refrain from acquiring silly stuff that is not really needed.
The problem is that I love vintage lenses, with a soft spot for 135mm's, and that I regret having bought many lenses in "user" state, which means they work (at times with lazy diaphragm and hard/loose focusing ring), but they look bad aesthetically.
When I saw the Isco Regula-Tele-Westanar 3.5/135mm in like new state I could not resist.
Btw, the Regula version is quite rare, unlike the Edixa and "plain" Isco versions.
It won't come cheap shipped to Thailand, but I find it beautiful. Can't wait to try it, although it will probably take a while to receive the parcel.
I have at least another version of the same lens that I will probably sell at the end of the winter, when I will let go all the duplicates and the optics that can't be used on Pentax DSLR cameras.

Here is the beauty. I believe that the optic should be very similar, if not identical, to the Schneider Tele-Xenar:

To my surprise, I found that there is no review of this lens.
I will write one as soon as I have time to properly test it.
If, as I suspect, it's another incarnation of the Schneider Tele-Xenar 3.5/135mm, it should prove a nice performer.
After testing a lot of old 135mm lenses, I found that most of them work quite well.
Even cheap, little known, unappreciated optics can offer nice surprises. For example you expect some fringing, and you find no fringing at all.
28mm and 200mm vintage lenses are usually more "difficult". If it's not fringing, it's lack of contrast, or unsatisfying sharpness.
I guess that one of the reasons I like the 135mm focal so much is that it happens quite often to try one, and be positively surprised by its performance, even if it's a low cost, relatively obscure optic. It's like finding a little precious stone in the mud... it gives plenty of satisfaction!

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 11-08-2018 at 07:59 AM.
11-08-2018, 08:51 AM - 3 Likes   #14448
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Even cheap, little known, unappreciated optics can offer nice surprises. For example you expect some fringing, and you find no fringing at all.
28mm and 200mm vintage lenses are usually more "difficult". If it's not fringing, it's lack of contrast, or unsatisfying sharpness.
Always depends on your own definition of nice, sharp, or contrasty enough. Which funnily evolve with time and experience !

I got myself a Datacolor Spyder5 (for a wooping 129€), which is screen calibration device. Why ? I'm going to do some prints on expensive and fancy (and huge) Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta 315 g, and though it would be a pity to fail to get what i want because of screen calibration.
11-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #14449
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Always depends on your own definition of nice, sharp, or contrasty enough. Which funnily evolve with time and experience !

I got myself a Datacolor Spyder5 (for a wooping 129€), which is screen calibration device. Why ? I'm going to do some prints on expensive and fancy (and huge) Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta 315 g, and though it would be a pity to fail to get what i want because of screen calibration.
I was looking at that and the Colormunki but the budget does not allow for a screen calibration device at this time.

11-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #14450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I was looking at that and the Colormunki but the budget does not allow for a screen calibration device at this time.
The colormunki is definitely better ! The spyder is really basic and offer a very simple color calibration. The munki also offer luminance calibration (important if you do web + various kind of prints).
11-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #14451
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
The colormunki is definitely better ! The spyder is really basic and offer a very simple color calibration. The munki also offer luminance calibration (important if you do web + various kind of prints).
Good to know, I was thinking about the non-pro Munki but not the cheapo version. Takes 7 or 8 minutes instead on 1-2 but I have the time!
11-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #14452
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Just skip a couple steak dinners.

11-08-2018, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #14453
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Just skip a couple steak dinners.
No, just No.
11-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #14454

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I have one or two long desired lenses that will probably come before Xmas... so I promised myself that I would refrain from acquiring silly stuff that is not really needed.
The problem is that I love vintage lenses, with a soft spot for 135mm's, and that I regret having bought many lenses in "user" state, which means they work (at times with lazy diaphragm and hard/loose focusing ring), but they look bad aesthetically.
When I saw the Isco Regula-Tele-Westanar 3.5/135mm in like new state I could not resist.
Btw, the Regula version is quite rare, unlike the Edixa and "plain" Isco versions.
It won't come cheap shipped to Thailand, but I find it beautiful. Can't wait to try it, although it will probably take a while to receive the parcel.
I have at least another version of the same lens that I will probably sell at the end of the winter, when I will let go all the duplicates and the optics that can't be used on Pentax DSLR cameras.

Here is the beauty. I believe that the optic should be very similar, if not identical, to the Schneider Tele-Xenar:

To my surprise, I found that there is no review of this lens.
I will write one as soon as I have time to properly test it.
If, as I suspect, it's another incarnation of the Schneider Tele-Xenar 3.5/135mm, it should prove a nice performer.
After testing a lot of old 135mm lenses, I found that most of them work quite well.
I guess that one of the reasons I like the 135mm focal so much is that it happens quite often to try one, and be positively surprised by its performance, even if it's a low cost, relatively obscure optic. It's like finding a little precious stone in the mud... it gives plenty of satisfaction!
I Agree
I love Collecting And Using The Not so well known lenses and ending up having those gems in my bag
11-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #14455
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
No, just No.
But how will you know when the steak has that perfect redness in the middle?
11-08-2018, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #14456
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
But how will you know when the steak has that perfect redness in the middle?
With my Mark ! Eyeball color sensor, and my finger touch softness sensor!
11-08-2018, 04:43 PM - 6 Likes   #14457
Veteran Member

Uran-10 2.5/100

11-08-2018, 06:53 PM - 2 Likes   #14458
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fiveseven Quote
Uran-10 2.5/100
That looks the bad ass spawn of Frankenstein
11-08-2018, 08:06 PM - 3 Likes   #14459
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Helios 44M arrived today

11-09-2018, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #14460
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fiveseven Quote
Uran-10 2.5/100
This is quite rare to see Uran lenses ! Great adaptation, have fun ! Heard a lot of good things of this series of lenses.