Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2018, 08:15 PM - 3 Likes   #14551
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very nice motorcycle. Looks like...roll the throttle and hold on !

I have a couple older motorcycles. A '67 Matchless Scrambler....G 15 CS, 750cc Norton engine in a Matchless frame and a '78 Yamaha SR 500. I've had the Yamaha single since new, but back then I wrestled with the decision of either getting either the street 500 single (SR) or a XT 500. I still sometimes wonder if I should of got the XT back then.

Will you trail ride (fast trail rides ) or race your new Yamaha ?

I remember fondly the Norton Commando ads from the early 70s with the beautiful blonde seated on it. Wow!

I think the SR 500 would be the one I'd have, given the choice now. I do remember being drawn to them.

I stopped racing completely back in 2011, but this bike will replace the 2017 track bike I sold recently. I still try to get on the track weekly although that goal is often impossible to attain.

I have a YZ for desert riding, as well (2015), and was out there under wonderful conditions today, with the Mrs, pictured here. Nice when your spouse enjoys your hobby, too!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-18-2018, 04:09 AM   #14552
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
I remember fondly the Norton Commando ads from the early 70s with the beautiful blonde seated on it. Wow!
Someone I worked with at the time had one - lovely bike but horribly unreliable, he had to replace the starter motor twice, also had at least one gearbox rebuild if memory serves me correctly.
11-18-2018, 06:07 AM   #14553

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I think for the 44-4 you need the flanged infinity adapter. Kipon make a good one. Word of warning though, they are a tight fit! I had to rub mine down so it would fit snugly into the opening but was still removable without too much effort. You also use this adapter for some of the alloy czj tessar 50mm lenses. Best way to check is to see if the manual/auto lever or ring opens and closes the aperture with the pin untouched you need an ordinary adapter (pixco make a good, cheaper alternative to the Pentax original) if however you need the pin pressed in to open and close the aperture using the lever/ring then you need the flanged version
I bought the cheapest one i could find with a relatively fast shipping, locally from spain, 5€. That one will still work for the Paragon, and will try luck with the helios. BTW, i seen some adaptors, the cheapest, that wouldn't allow infinity focus. This one does allow it, so no problem from that.
11-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #14554
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the Takumar 105 won't be here until Monday.... to keep the soon-to-be-arriving list going, I bought a Cosina 55mm f1.4 lens for the M42 body....

11-18-2018, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #14555
Pentaxian

Another good if rather expensive day at the car boot mines...
  • Two more good Helios 44-2, fungus free and nice apart from an oily iris in one
  • A very clean Canon T50 with 50mm 1.8 and case
  • An Exa 2a, faulty shutter - optics are ok so it can become my testbed camera for Exacta lenses (to make sure they fit and focus properly) and I'll sell on the 2b I've been using
  • An Exakta Varex waist level finder
  • Canon Eos body and rear caps, and a Minolta EF body cap
  • A T2 mount, M42
  • A very compact x2 converter, M42 manual stopdown - somehow it's about 2/3 the thickness of usual 2x converters, the last one I had sold for silly money even though I have no idea who made them.
  • A Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 M42 auto, clean and working well
  • A Sigma Epsilon 28-70 3.5-4.5 in Minolta AF fitting
  • and (last but not least) a Minolta 50/1.7, AF mount for Minolta and Sony autofocus
None of this stuff is tested properly yet, but hopefully it will raise good money. Cost was about £78 so I should see a profit eventually, the Helios lenses should cover most of it.

later - tested the AF lenses and they are fine, everything else is looking good except I missed slight filter ring damage on one of the Helios lenses.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 11-18-2018 at 01:23 PM.
11-18-2018, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #14556
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the Takumar 105 won't be here until Monday.... to keep the soon-to-be-arriving list going, I bought a Cosina 55mm f1.4 lens for the M42 body....
While I'm trying my best to show some restraint... somebody else is going wild
After your beautiful Soligor/Tokina C/D P 2/35mm (which I envy, cause it belongs to a series of lenses I like so much), the Tak 105mm is another really nice optics to have. I own the bayonet version (SMC Pentax 2.8/105mm), and I like it a lot.

Regarding your M42 Cosina 1.4/55mm, can you please tell me if the feet scale is on top or at the bottom (of the Mt. one)?
Found an interesting theory: Tomioka-made fifties have the feet scale on top, while Cosina-made ones have it at the bottom.
Couldn't do much checking, however the few lenses I own that are almost for sure Tomioka-made have in fact the ft. inscription at the top of the mt. one.
One caveat: not all Cosina branded lenses are actually Cosina-made. For example the Cosina 1.2/55mm is a Tomioka, while the Cosinon-S 1.2/55mm is a Cosina

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 11-18-2018 at 09:41 PM.
11-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #14557
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
While I'm trying my best to show some restraint... somebody else is going wild
After your beautiful Soligor/Tokina C/D P 2/35mm (which I envy, cause it belongs to a series of lenses I like so much), the Tak 105mm is another really nice optics to have. I own the bayonet version (SMC Pentax 2.8/105mm), and I like it a lot.

Regarding your M42 Cosina 1.4/55mm, can you please tell me if the feet scale is on top or at the bottom (of the Mt. one)?
Found an interesting theory: Tomioka-made fifties have the feet range on top, while Cosina-made ones have it at the bottom.
Couldn't do much checking, however the few lenses I own that are almost for sure Tomioka-made have in fact the ft. inscription at the top of the mt. one.
One caveat: not all Cosina branded lenses are actually Cosina-made. For example the Cosina 1.2/55mm is a Tomioka, while the Cosinon-S 1.2/55mm is a Cosina

according to eBay photos, the metric scale is on top...

the few references I've found show that the optics are Tomioka in design...

11-18-2018, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #14558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

******TOMIOKA ALERT******

Prepare to be ridiculously impressed

The Auto cosina, Yashika auto yashinon and the auto mamiya sekor 55mm f1.7 (I think) are all the same internals and are superb. Re the chinons I have a soft but OK chinon 28mm f2.8 that I think is a cimco, a tapering cosina 28mm f2.8 (tokina) that is fabulous and a cosina 35mm f2.8 (sun) that is equally incredible. If you see one you like, check out the pictures in the reviews. They are all cheap, my OK 28mm cost me £5 mint in case and it really is quite good but the other two in bang for buck terms are off the scale.

Last edited by Cerebum; 11-18-2018 at 12:50 PM.
11-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #14559
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
******TOMIOKA ALERT******

Prepare to be ridiculously impressed
I hope so; I've been watching/scouring ads for awhile...
11-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #14560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
I bought the cheapest one i could find with a relatively fast shipping, locally from spain, 5€. That one will still work for the Paragon, and will try luck with the helios. BTW, i seen some adaptors, the cheapest, that wouldn't allow infinity focus. This one does allow it, so no problem from that.
***Word of warning*** some of the cheap infinity adapters go on but don't come off. You have to take your camera apart. Pixco are fine and not too expensive.

The cheapest adapters are just a flat ring with a k mount underneath. These increase the distance from the sensor to the lens. Fine for close ups but no good for anything ten feet away
11-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #14561
Pentaxian

Suggest trying adapters on expendable tubes, dead cameras etc. if possible before putting them on something good.
11-18-2018, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #14562
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Suggest trying adapters on expendable tubes, dead cameras etc. if possible before putting them on something good.
Good advice. I had one adapter stuck on so hard it was almost impossible to remove. Also, those 42 to K mount adapters have to fit entirely inside the mount. With an exterior flange that increases the registry distance, you cannot focus to infinity. It is surprising that anyone actually designed and sold such adapters.
11-18-2018, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #14563
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it's been quite a while since I took a flyer on an ebay buy

but

I did win this one today:

" a nice working Pentax -A 1:2.8 135 mm lens made in Japan no dings dents or cracks in very good condition "

from a highly rated long term seller

if it is as promised, I think I may have gotten a bargain price for a SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8

time will tell
11-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #14564
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
it's been quite a while since I took a flyer on an ebay buy

but

I did win this one today:

" a nice working Pentax -A 1:2.8 135 mm lens made in Japan no dings dents or cracks in very good condition "

from a highly rated long term seller

if it is as promised, I think I may have gotten a bargain price for a SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8

time will tell
Good luck. I've had mixed luck lately with auctions. Either spectacular win or abysmal failure. Anyway, hope you have the former.
11-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #14565
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Good luck. I've had mixed luck lately with auctions. Either spectacular win or abysmal failure. Anyway, hope you have the former.
thanks

yeah, you pay your money and take your chances

however there is this little notice on the auction

" 14 day returns. Buyer pays for return shipping "

and there were late bids, that didn't make it so I wasn't the only one looking at it